I am a newb to blackberry. I use my blackberry to send/receive emails primarily through GMAIL (average of 5-10 emails Receiving , hardly any outgoing). 50-75 or so text messages. But even with a full charge, it only lasts me less than a day. Other applications i have are as follows:

pacman (game, hardly used)
    Mapquest GPS , only used when needed
    Google Maps
    BB light (currently disabled)
    BB today (i wonder if this is causing problems)
    BB Weather
    Opera

I dont know which application is still running int he backgroudn causing allt his problem. i asked a guy at train station and he goes, My BB 8830 lasts 3 to 4 days on battery !!!! I was/am jelousss
    03-02-08 09:13 PM
    welcome to crackberry!

your battery life will get a bit better after a few days to a week.. mine sure did. now it lasts longer than a day.. but i dont use it nearly like you do apparently.

the weather app i used to run would run it kinda low on juice. i've got to where now when i'm at work i disable my internet connection when not needed.. that helped alot, also disable GPS and Blue Tooth when not using them either (actually disable GPS in the settings menus, dont just shut the app down).

also make sure you pull up the menu and choose close/exit. if you hit the power button till the app goes away, its likely bubbling in the background.

hold down the shift key plus Back button and it pulls up a task list of sorts, while holding it down select every thing open and open what ever app it is menu and choose Exit/Close for each one..only things that will remain open are..
    bb messenger
    browser
    home screen
    phone.
    03-02-08 09:23 PM
    Hmmm, GPS does drain your battery pretty fast. Based on what you have said, it couldn't be your emails since you hardly receving incoming emails. How about your Bluetooth? Do you leave it on? When not in use, turn it off.

Basically just double check your apps to make sure you have nothing running in the background. Then observe if anything chages. If none, you might need to go back to Sprint and complain about your battery. If you just recently purchase your device, they should be able to exchange your battery or test it or something.
    03-02-08 09:26 PM
    Using Bluetooth? They suck the life right out of your battery! I average a good full day out of my 8830, but to be fair, I drive a **** load for work so I just pop it on the car charger when it looks to drain. I used to keep my phones on almost 24/7, but with this, I have auto on/off mode set for like midnight to 6. Saves some time, and it gets a little recharge when I update my outlook anyway. For what it has for options, these phones to pretty good for the battery. Much better than my old Treo 700.
    03-02-08 09:37 PM
    so how donwe fix the drainage of the batttery
    03-02-08 10:00 PM
    If somebodies BB is lasting 3 to 4 days, then they probably only use it for a phone only and never use data.
    03-02-08 10:42 PM
    I found my battery being drained when I frequently had no signal and it constantly had to search for signal. Do you happen to be in an area of weak signal frequently?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-08 11:38 PM
    I found my battery being drained when I frequently had no signal and it constantly had to search for signal. Do you happen to be in an area of weak signal frequently?

Very good! When I went to Utah this last Christmas, at 10,000 Feet above sea level, no signal for me whatsoever! Was it torture? Yes! What's more, it was torture for my device trying to find Service. So as a tip, thanks adamh10, always turn off your data service when you are in an area where you do not have any coverage. This sure will drain your battery pretty fast!
    03-02-08 11:47 PM
    If it's a new BlackBerry, let it do a FULL discharge after a FULL recharge. That should wear it in a bit.

03-03-08 02:06 AM
    It's Google Maps. Version (if you have this version) 2.0.1 has a bug in it that with some 8830s the battery will drain quicker on them. Yes, even if you exit the app, the battery drain still happens. The only fix is to uninstall Google Maps and NOT install it back. Version 2.0.2 fixed that problem, but introduced another issue for almost all Curve users, so Google pulled that version. There's been a couple of other reports of this drain problem, but to my knowledge myself and one other on bbf had this issue. Uninstall Google Maps and see where you're at. Good luck!
    03-03-08 11:04 AM
    welcome to crackberry!

hold down the shift key plus Back button and it pulls up a task list of sorts, while holding it down select every thing open and open what ever app it is menu and choose Exit/Close for each one..only things that will remain open are..
    bb messenger
    browser
    home screen
    phone.
    I've tried this several times and it always seems to show a lot of apps running? Close them and try again and they are on this task list again. I don't see it as showing anything useful if the app keeps turning itself back on.
    03-04-08 08:28 PM
    I've tried this several times and it always seems to show a lot of apps running? Close them and try again and they are on this task list again. I don't see it as showing anything useful if the app keeps turning itself back on.
    once you select the app in the task list and bring it to the front focus.. are you using the menu key and selecting Close/Exit or are you simply hitting the Red Phone button (off)? if so, that wont shut it down, you need to do it via the applications menus.

in some apps, mostly the media app (where you view ringtones, videos, etc) you need to make sure it closes all the way out.
    for eg, if i'm actually browsing my pics, i think i have to pull up the menu like 3 different times to hit close before the app truly closes. thats the only app i know of like that, the rest should just close.
    03-05-08 05:34 AM
    What am I doing wrong, I can't seem to get the Shift/Back menu? Just to make sure I'm using the correct keys, I'm using the Key with the up arrow which is two keys to to the right or left of the space bar and the back button to the right of the trackball? The only thing I've gotten to work is the ALT key with the back button but it just bring up a short cut menu to my messages, options, contacts, etc....

I have only had my BB for a couple weeks and notice a significant drop in the battery life. I recently started using a bluetooth with it and was suspicious that it was causing a drain in the battery. I take it just turning off the bluetooth headset isn't enough? I need to go into "manage my connections" and turn off the bluetooth when I"m not using it?
    03-05-08 07:07 AM
    I noticed that my battery would drain quickly as well. So I started performing "App Switcher" every once in a while to see what programs were running in the background. Low and behold, there would be games and other apps running that I had not shut down properly that were draining my battery. Remember to always "close" your apps when you're finished with them.
    Lis
    03-05-08 07:20 AM
    What am I doing wrong, I can't seem to get the Shift/Back menu? Just to make sure I'm using the correct keys, I'm using the Key with the up arrow which is two keys to to the right or left of the space bar and the back button to the right of the trackball? The only thing I've gotten to work is the ALT key with the back button but it just bring up a short cut menu to my messages, options, contacts, etc....

I have only had my BB for a couple weeks and notice a significant drop in the battery life. I recently started using a bluetooth with it and was suspicious that it was causing a drain in the battery. I take it just turning off the bluetooth headset isn't enough? I need to go into "manage my connections" and turn off the bluetooth when I"m not using it?
    The Alt key + back button to the right of the trackball is correct...once the menu comes up, keep holding the Alt key down and use the trackball to scroll to the menu item you want to close out. Release the Alt key and that application will open. Hit your Menu (Blackberry "dots" to the left of the trackball) to open the menu, scroll down to "close" and press the trackball. Repeat this process until all unneeded apps are closed.

Yes, you are correct...you will need to turn Bluetooth Power OFF. Only turn it on when you are using the Bluetooth function, otherwise, bye-bye battery life...
    03-05-08 07:22 AM
    I got my Blackberry 8830 WE the end of June, 2007. Up until last month my battery would typically last 2 days (sometimes more) per charge. I don't use my phone a lot -- not many calls, check gmail (with the google app) 2 or 3 times a day, and some occasional web browsing. About 4 weeks ago I noticed that if my battery was fully charged at about 8am, it would become completely discharged by about 6pm. I was leaving it in the car while I was at work (can't take it into work), on, so that I would see if there were any missed calls. I figured that I needed a new battery. I got one, and the new one (after an initial overnight charge) is doing the same thing as the old one (even after many charge/recharge cycles). Now, I just realized that around the time that this started happening, I had download the new OS 4.2.2 from Verizon (I did this because I hoped that they fixed the problem with the voice recognition program hanging up, necessitating a reboot). Around the same time I also downloaded (via Google Sync) the new version of the gmail app. Has anybody heard of either one of these having a bug which causes excessive battery drain? Are there any suggested solutions?

Victor
    09-21-08 01:21 PM
    On my 9330 its the alt+menu key to see what apps are running in the background. I also have a new bb and have found that battery is only good for about a day. My old Bb8330 had good battery life for about 2 yrs, then all of a sudden it just kept draingin quickly. Replaced battery to no avail. So I got a new bb 9330 hoping things would get better but low and behold its about the same. We'll see what happen. For such a smart phone it don't make sense that it doesn't last longer. I live by the use of this thing, it sucks if you can't rely on it to last. Good luck!
    06-17-11 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD