Hello all,
    I'm new to the forum. I'm currently using a Windows Mobile-based phone (Samsung i730). I'm looking to get an 8830. My only thing is... I'm not sure if the Verizon tech I spoke to was telling the truth... but he said the software that the blackberry comes with will sync ALL of my PIM info (including calendars and tasks) immediately over the air (I'm not using BES). He said that their software will work just like the PC monitor i use now, which syncs all of my outlook PIM stuff over the air immediately when it's changed on either the phone or on outlook. Can any of you confirm this? Thank you!
    03-02-08 12:04 AM
    BIS will not do this. And neither will Desktop Manager... at least not OTA (over the air). BIS will push all your emails to the phone, but not past ones. DM loaded on a PC will sync your calendar, contacts, and tasks, but with a miniUSB. Verizon's Wireless Sync (which blows anyway) isn't made for Blackberries, only WM and Palm based smartphones. And welcome to the forums.
    03-02-08 01:11 AM
    JRS,
    Thanks for the reply... That's rather disappointing. I have an exchange server I use for development, but I didn't want to have to change the way I did email/scheduled my calendar. I'm actually away from home a lot and I like to be able to update my calendar from either my home machine or my phone. I've had pretty good luck with VZ wireless sync so far. So now I'm guessing I need to run Blackberry Professional Software and exchange to do all of this stuff OTA? Thanks!
    03-02-08 02:33 AM
    Desktop Manager has a Redirector option as well, which functions somewhat like VZW's Sync BS program, but I don't like how you have to leave it running on a PC that's connected to the web and your email server/account all the time. Too much stuff to "turn off" unexpectadly and hose your email transport. That's my viewpoint anyway. Good luck with whatever route you take.
    03-02-08 05:47 PM
    An Exchange server and BES will sync all your info OTA on a BB just as the Verizon Wireless Sync does on your WM smartphone. BIS will not.
    03-02-08 07:49 PM
    Desktop Manager has a Redirector option as well, which functions somewhat like VZW's Sync BS program, but I don't like how you have to leave it running on a PC that's connected to the web and your email server/account all the time. Too much stuff to "turn off" unexpectadly and hose your email transport. That's my viewpoint anyway. Good luck with whatever route you take.
    Is the redirector bidirectional... or does it only send updates from outlook to the phone? Thanks! I appreciate all of the input
    03-02-08 11:55 PM
    Is the redirector bidirectional... or does it only send updates from outlook to the phone? Thanks! I appreciate all of the input
    Honestly, I think it's just one way. I never really liked the way it worked when I set it up for someone a while back (couple of years), since then BIS/BES has gotten way better so I never looked back. Do this, go to blackberryforums.com and hit up a John Clark. He should have specifics on your questions about redirector. All in all, the BB is just a bad platform when it comes to full wireless sync with Exchange. RIM wanted more money for such things so they invented the BES setup which costs money for the server software and also costs money to license each and every BB hooked up to your BES server. Sucks, but I honestly prefer ActiveSync myself as it's native on Exchange and works out of the box, not to mention that it's already paid for when you buy the Exchange server software. That's a big plus for a lot of places that have to watch spending.
    03-03-08 11:11 AM

i dont see the redirector option. where is it?
    03-10-08 07:22 PM
    RIM doesn't support Redirector anymore.

To OP - BIS will sync mail, but not sort into subfolders. You can use Google to sync your calendar OTA.
    Last edited by ralarosa; 03-11-08 at 08:00 AM.
    03-11-08 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD