So I was at the store today asking about the BB's. They told me that to use BB messenger around the globe I would need to be on the web wich they said would cost alot, then they said I couldnt use wifi to get on the web. Is this true? I thought BBM was free, and does the 8830 even have wifi? thanks
    02-11-09 08:51 PM
    Well bbm uses data. So as long as you have an unlimited data plan you will be fine. What carrier did you go to? And how much was a lot?
    02-11-09 08:55 PM
    8830 does not have wifi. BBM does use data, and does work worldwide.
    02-11-09 08:58 PM
    The only charges you would incur with BBM is if you are outside your coverage area and using data. I'm sure there would be roaming charges and such for data usage outside your normal area. If you have access to data while outside the country, then BBM should work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 11:21 PM
    I have a separate question regarding BB messenger. Whenever I attempt to add a contact by accepting or sending an invite, I get the following message from [email protected]:

Subject: RIM_bca28a80-e9c0-11d1-87fe-00600811c6a2

Text: This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move, or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.

BEGINETP 508 . . . this is followed by dozens of lines of gibberish

I get this message everytime I attempt to either send or accept an invitation. The other person remains in my "pending" list, and nothing ever happens. Is anyone else dealing with this or does anyone have any suggestions or solutions for me? Thanks in advance!
    02-13-09 11:06 AM
    I have a separate question regarding BB messenger. Whenever I attempt to add a contact by accepting or sending an invite, I get the following message from [email protected]:

Text: This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move, or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.

I get this message everytime I attempt to either send or accept an invitation. The other person remains in my "pending" list, and nothing ever happens. Is anyone else dealing with this or does anyone have any suggestions or solutions for me? Thanks in advance!
    sdseagles:
    What OS are you running? Are you on BIS or BES, If on BES check with your IT dept that they don't have a policy blocking PIN to PIN messages. or it could be a service book issue. I've not ever seen this error and I've been using my 8830 for 18months.
    02-13-09 12:00 PM
    sdseagles:
    What OS are you running? Are you on BIS or BES, If on BES check with your IT dept that they don't have a policy blocking PIN to PIN messages. or it could be a service book issue. I've not ever seen this error and I've been using my 8830 for 18months.
    Forgive my ignorance, but how do I know which operating system the phone utilizes? Where do I look? And then what do I do once I know? Are there any fixes or should I just call technical support?
    02-13-09 01:07 PM
    I have a separate question regarding BB messenger. Whenever I attempt to add a contact by accepting or sending an invite, I get the following message from that email address that I can't post yet...

These RIM messages, more commonly known as "flycatcher messages" are usually associated with BIS Accounts, and are sent to email addresses, errors sent out from RIM. It is interesting that you are getting them when accepting or sending invites with BBM.. I don't know of a fix at the moment, but I'll try to get you one.
    02-13-09 01:16 PM
    I just spoke with someone at Verizon Technical support who seems to think it may have something to do with a setting in the BlackBerry Desktop manager software. He's going to call me later when I have access to that particular computer and see if we can't reconfigure it. Hopefully that's all it is, but I know plenty of other BB users with that software and not the same issues I'm having. I guess we'll see what happens . . .
    02-13-09 01:18 PM
    I just spoke with someone at Verizon Technical support who seems to think it may have something to do with a setting in the BlackBerry Desktop manager software. He's going to call me later when I have access to that particular computer and see if we can't reconfigure it. Hopefully that's all it is, but I know plenty of other BB users with that software and not the same issues I'm having. I guess we'll see what happens . . .
    Verizon don't have a clue what causes this. It has nothing to do with verizon. It is completly on blackberry's server end. They will typically stop after one or two though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 02:28 PM
    I just went through this with a co-worker with an 8130 on Altell. From what I have found, is that her phone was setup as a BES, when it should have been BIS.

Delete the email accounts from the phone. Log in to the appropriate BIS site, and physically delete the email addresses. Do a battery pull. Re-enter the email addresses in the BIS site. Resend the service books. Battery pull again, and it should be fixed.
    02-13-09 04:46 PM
    I just went through this with a co-worker with an 8130 on Altell. From what I have found, is that her phone was setup as a BES, when it should have been BIS.

Delete the email accounts from the phone. Log in to the appropriate BIS site, and physically delete the email addresses. Do a battery pull. Re-enter the email addresses in the BIS site. Resend the service books. Battery pull again, and it should be fixed.
    What is the difference between BES and BIS? What does that mean? And how do I know which way my phone is set up? Sorry this is all new to me. And thanks to everyone who's taken the time to reply.
    02-13-09 06:40 PM
    BES is through an Exchange Server, possibly through your work. If you only have personal email on it, and not work related, you probably have BIS. That is the $29.99 data plan.
    02-13-09 06:48 PM
    I have both personal and work related email accounts. One is through Comcast (personal), another a private server (work). I have the $45 plan
    02-13-09 06:50 PM
    Ok, quick update. After spending 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon tech support updating/modifying the BB Desktop Manager settings and being assured this would fix the problem, alas it has not. Same issues as before. (I was also unable to update to the v4.5 OS, in case anyone is interested. Not ready for the 8830 yet?) So I'm gonna try what Heavy Fluid suggested unless anyone else has any brilliant ideas. Thanks
    02-14-09 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD