I've read so many conflicting reports on when to charge either when the battery is almost dead versus charging it when it's 40% full.

What do you guys do for the 8830? I'm inclined to feel like I should let it go until it's almost dead and recharge. But I'm so confused as I've read a lot of various tips and none seem to complement each other.

Cheers.
    08-22-07 12:52 PM
    I charge every night regardless of the BB's charge level at that time
    08-22-07 12:59 PM
    I charge every night regardless of the BB's charge level at that time
    Ditto.

As for worrying about damaging the battery, don't. New batteries are not like the old ones where you had to worry about the battery's memory. Most batteries today have no memory, so you can charge them as much as you like for as long or short as you want.
    08-22-07 01:07 PM
    FYI - This because they are Lithium-Ion based. Hence the option of charging at any time...
    08-22-07 01:27 PM
    Awesome, cheers.
    08-22-07 10:16 PM
    FYI - This because they are Lithium-Ion based. Hence the option of charging at any time...
    Yes, I forgot to mention that. Thanks Tmag.
    08-22-07 10:20 PM
    I would just like to mention that once your battery is topped off, leaving it plugged in only wastes energy and generates heat (though Li-ion batteries are pretty good in this respect). This applies to any device with an AC adapter. It only takes about 1-2.5 hours in suspend mode to fully charge your BlackBerry. Batteries also have a limited number of charging cycles in them before they won't take a charge any more.

Here's a good article from Battery University:

How To Prolong The Life of Lithium Ion Batteries
    08-23-07 06:31 AM
    I would just like to mention that once your battery is topped off, leaving it plugged in only wastes energy and generates heat (though Li-ion batteries are pretty good in this respect). This applies to any device with an AC adapter. It only takes about 1-2.5 hours in suspend mode to fully charge your BlackBerry. Batteries also have a limited number of charging cycles in them before they won't take a charge any more.

Here's a good article from Battery University:

How To Prolong The Life of Lithium Ion Batteries
    The battery cycles thing is true. But remember, if you charge your 80% charged battery to 100%. You are not wasting a full cycle.That is why it doesn't matter if you wait until the battery is completely dead or "top it off."
    08-23-07 09:50 AM
    But remember, if you charge your 80% charged battery to 100%. You are not wasting a full cycle.That is why it doesn't matter if you wait until the battery is completely dead or "top it off."
    Not with a Li-ion battery, no. In fact, Li-ion batteries should never be allowed to discharge completely, unless they have a guage or meter on them that needs to be recalibrated.
    08-23-07 12:31 PM
    Not with a Li-ion battery, no. In fact, Li-ion batteries should never be allowed to discharge completely, unless they have a guage or meter on them that needs to be recalibrated.
    True, I shouldn't have said completely dead. But you get what I'm saying.
    08-23-07 01:03 PM
    Trevor, I understand what you are saying but why did RIM reps in the service department tell me that it is not recommended to leave the battery charged in all night every night. They told me to charge it when it gets down to one bar and after it is completely charged, to unplug it. I've had at least 2 or 3 reps tell me the same thing. Listen, I am not disputing what anyone is saying, but just wanted to know why they would say this.

Your input as always is appreciated.

On a separate note:
    Welcome to the forum IMC2148 and GT! Hope you are enjoying your stay at the forum.

Gia
    Last edited by Giavanna; 08-23-07 at 07:01 PM.
    08-23-07 06:57 PM
    Trevor, I understand what you are saying but why did RIM reps in the service department tell me that it is not recommended to leave the battery charged in all night every night. They told me to charge it when it gets down to one bar and after it is completely charged, to unplug it. I've had at least 2 or 3 reps tell me the same thing. Listen, I am not disputing what anyone is saying, but just wanted to know why they would say this.

Your input as always is appreciated.

On a separate note:
    Welcome to the forum IMC2148 and GT! Hope you are enjoying your stay at the forum.

Gia
    Most people still think that is the case because it was true with older batteries. Li-Ion batteries have no memory so you can't screw them up as easily. I find that most manuals even say to charge a device completely before using it despite having a Li-Ion bat. That is where the rim reps get their info, so that is what they tell customers.

I have always began using my devices as soon as I get them and I charge them every night. I have yet to see an adverse reaction to this. Frankly, I find it stupid that they tell people to take them off the charger once they are done charging. What are you supposed to do, check it for a full battery sign every 10 minutes?
    Last edited by Trevor; 08-23-07 at 07:44 PM.
    08-23-07 07:42 PM
    I agree Trevor. I wish there was a battery charger that would turn red when charging and then automatically when done turn green and shut itself off. In the beginning, when I charged it at night I would look to see if it was done and then I thought how silly of me to do so. Even if the battery gets worn out sooner, say that was the case which it isn't after you clarified that, the worse case scenario is I would buy another battery. No biggie.

Thanks again for the info. Apprecitae it.
    Gia
    08-23-07 08:54 PM
    I agree Trevor. I wish there was a battery charger that would turn red when charging and then automatically when done turn green and shut itself off. In the beginning, when I charged it at night I would look to see if it was done and then I thought how silly of me to do so. Even if the battery gets worn out sooner, say that was the case which it isn't after you clarified that, the worse case scenario is I would buy another battery. No biggie.

Thanks again for the info. Apprecitae it.
    Gia
    Yes, it isn't like batteries are overly expensive. Also, I have never had to replace a cell phone / blackberry battery. I find they last 1 1/2-2 years no problem. YMMV however.
    08-23-07 11:06 PM
    Again, thanks for clearing this issue up.

Yes the batters are very inexpensive well for my model anyway. I have 2 new ones on hand just in case. I always like to be prepared.....like carrying an umbrella when they say only 20% chance. lol
    08-24-07 08:36 AM
    Again, thanks for clearing this issue up.

Yes the batters are very inexpensive well for my model anyway. I have 2 new ones on hand just in case. I always like to be prepared.....like carrying an umbrella when they say only 20% chance. lol
    Not to get off topic here, but don't even get me started on weather wo/men. Halfe the time they say 50% chance of rain. (How the heck is that supposed to help you )
    08-24-07 09:18 AM
    I've gotten to the point where I only charge mine every 2 or 3 days or if it drops below 50%.

Giavanna since I normally plug mine into the charger when I go to bed I never even gave any thought to that all night thing. I hope I'm not damaging it.
    08-24-07 09:20 AM
    You won't damage the battery, but it does waste a bit of energy...
    08-24-07 09:46 AM
    Well..I must confess I am obsessive compulsive about my charge. For everything, laptops, cell phones, i pods, etc. I love having a full charge. I almost shake when I get down to one bar! Anyone else find this is the case? My colleagues mock me a work. Right now, I am twitching a little because I am down a bar! Help...a full "charge" kinda gal. Geezee
    08-24-07 09:46 AM
    Well..I must confess I am obsessive compulsive about my charge. For everything, laptops, cell phones, i pods, etc. I love having a full charge. I almost shake when I get down to one bar! Anyone else find this is the case? My colleagues mock me a work. Right now, I am twitching a little because I am down a bar! Help...a full "charge" kinda gal. Geezee
    Actually, I like having a full charge a little too much as well. I put it on the charger whenever I can so I never have to worry about a low battery.
    08-24-07 10:25 AM
    Hey Trevor,

Re: my analogy to weather
    It's the only job in the world that you can be wrong most of the time and still have a job. lol

Sorry for getting off topic.........I know I'm bad.......bad Gia......bad. lol

The battery issue I'm glad we all concur that it's fine to leave it in and not worry about overcharging.
    08-24-07 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD