Been browsing crackberry since I got my first bb, an 8830 from verizon, at the beginning of december. So I'd like to post all the things I've gone thru since then, and see if anyone else has had a similar expirence with this model or if I just have horrible luck.

The first one I got had the service problem I've seen alot of other complaints about, where it goes from 1XEV, to 1xev, to 1X, to 1x. After leaving 1XEV, I cant use any data and cant send any texts or emails. When I went to verizor, the rep said 'Oh we have no had problems of this kind with this phone, really no problems at all, but we will give you a new one.' The replacment they gave me seemed ok until I discovered that when using the trackball, it caused the screen to look all distorted and wavy, like a laptop screen when you touch it. Took it back, got my 3rd phone total, and this one has keyboard issues. It squeaks when I type, mainly on the right side of the keyboard.

Why all the problems? Are they slipping me refurbs or other defective ones as a replacement? I really cant figure it out and am getting pretty frustrated. I love the phone though, so Im looking for suggestions or anything really anyone can tell me about what I should do. Should I go get a fourth and hope its the last one? Thanks!
    01-26-08 01:11 PM
    All those problems you have listed are not normal problems and would say you're just getting bad luck with the 8830. Even if it was a refurbished 8830, it should be like new (if you search the forum for refurbished 8830's, most have been satisfied with their replacement, including myself). I would keep on returning the defects you keep getting until one finally works. Question, are they swapping units with you in-store? Or are they mailing you replacements? If you've been doing it in-store, are you able to see the packaging? There could be a slight chance that their giving you defects that are returned.
    01-26-08 03:07 PM
    Most times when you get a replacement phone form Verizon you are getting a refurb. I had service problems with my 8703e and they gave me the 8830 as a replacement. I also have the problem with mine where the screen gets wavy when pushing the trackball.
    01-26-08 06:34 PM
    All of the replacements I have received have been in store. I only saw the last replacment I received removed from the box. If I take this one in to get a replacement because of the squeaky keyboard, is there a way they can transfer all the apps and themes I have on here, or will they be lost?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-08 10:17 AM
    Just backup the BB you have now with desktop manager. When you get the new one restore the backup onto it.
    01-27-08 10:29 AM
    on mine, my 1XEV does the same thing sometimes too, but rarley. and when i click the trackball, my screen gets wavy, just a little bit too. but i bought it off ebay, and got a really good deal, so i cant complain!
    01-27-08 12:42 PM
    squeeky keyboards are normal..i just checked 3 of my friends curve's and they all have a slight squeak to them when you rub your fingers over the keys
    09-04-08 08:52 AM
    Made in Mexico baby... Check under the battery cover. The refurbs probably were made there. The initial new releases are made in Canada, but after a while, the product line gets made in Mexico. Don't know why, but I'm guessing RIM's too cheap to stand behind their product... this explains the big boost in their profits the past couple of years. Offshoring your production helps that big time.
    09-04-08 08:58 AM
    yep...said made in mexico...mine's not a refurb though
    09-04-08 09:00 AM
    You tend to see it more with refurbs, but if you bought your new phone after the initial influx of the model, it'll more then likely be "Mexican".
    09-04-08 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD