How and where do I get for an 8830. It came on my curve but my friend just got the 8830 from verizon and we can't figure it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-08 09:55 PM
    There are a couple of different options. I think BlackBerry may offer a free download for AIM software from their website. I personally use JiveTalk because it is an integrated client that handles AIM, MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger, and a couple others. The drawback is that JiveTalk costs something like $20, but it really is a good program.
    05-17-08 02:21 AM
    Verizon does not allow you to download the AIM app that blackberry provides because verizon offers Mobile IM which is a free chatting client made by verizon... you can download it from the verizon homepage on your blackberry browser... but be aware that this app does not use data each message sent back and forth is billed as a text message... and the app honestly sucks it does not refresh the buddy list automatically and limits you to a small amount of buddys as it does not display your full contact list if you have alot of contacts...you can only sign on from one screen name per chat client (1 aim, 1 msn, 1 yahoo) so if you have multiple aol Screen names you can only sign into 1 at a time.... I use Jive talk it uses Data vs texts, and its an awesome program! you can sign on as many acct as you want at one time supports many chat clients... and is worth the 20$ in my opinion!
    05-17-08 05:18 PM
    MobileIM lets you, but it's an SMS per message sent. I went with rambleIM and it works quite well for me, sometimes disconnects, but overall it's good.
    05-17-08 10:03 PM
    Verizon does not allow you to download the AIM app that blackberry provides because verizon offers Mobile IM which is a free chatting client made by verizon... you can download it from the verizon homepage on your blackberry browser... but be aware that this app does not use data each message sent back and forth is billed as a text message... and the app honestly sucks it does not refresh the buddy list automatically and limits you to a small amount of buddys as it does not display your full contact list if you have alot of contacts...you can only sign on from one screen name per chat client (1 aim, 1 msn, 1 yahoo) so if you have multiple aol Screen names you can only sign into 1 at a time.... I use Jive talk it uses Data vs texts, and its an awesome program! you can sign on as many acct as you want at one time supports many chat clients... and is worth the 20$ in my opinion!
    you say it uses data, what does that mean exactly? do i pay for data already?
    thanks
    06-20-08 10:57 AM
    I am not sure if it will work for your carrier, but it does for mine. I am with Sprint, and have an 8830. www .blackberry.com/aim.

Like stated earlier, some carriers block AIM from functioning.

~Rich
    06-20-08 11:10 AM
    Are there other programs free or pay that anyone likes?I have Jivetalk which was fine but its been giving me alot of problems lately, taking forever to log on, booting me off etc. Didn't know anyone that might have another that they like. I just need to make sure its one that uses data, not SMS. Thanks!
    06-30-08 02:25 PM
    ramble IM like said above is free, simple and works. Sometimes a disconnect, but still a cool AIM application.
    06-30-08 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD