Hello Everyone,

I am a first time BlackBerry newbie with a 8830 Word Edition. This forum has been a great tool to help be configure my BB the way I would want it. I am having an awful time with my GPS receiver.

Out of the box the GPS would NEVER work. My provider requested I go to their page and download the "latest" firmware, v4.2.2.196. After installing that the GPS worked intermittently. I originally had hopes of using the GPS in the BB for auto navigation as that is the way it is advertised on BB's web site. While standing outdoors in an open environment I can wait 5, 10, 15 minutes and never get a GPS signal. Sometimes I do, but I lose after being in my vehicle for a few minutes.

I have read how BB recommends of "refreshing" my GPS, but I do not have that option. I have removed my battery and done a number of reboots. Sometimes when I open BB maps it immediately says that it is unable to get a GPS lock, sometimes it will search for satellites.

I live in a rural area and have a small/local CDMA cell provider. They report that they do not restrict any features of the phone and state that the GPS receiver is very weak and that intermittent functionality can basically be expected, even when outdoors. I am having a hard time swallowing that. Is this true? Is this the performance that everyone else is experiencing? Are my expectations of using this as an auto GPS unrealistic without an external GPS receiver?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
    08-03-08 09:04 AM
    The aGPS in the 8830 works via a PDE server that resides on the carrier's network and only is accessible if on the carrier's network. If your phone has a tendancy to ROAM or hop on other towers that don't directly belong to your carrier, that might be your issue here.
    08-03-08 12:10 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. So I might not be getting the assisted part of the GPS service from my provider? My phone shouldn't be roaming as I am definitely within my area. There are not a lot of carriers in my area so I can't imagine it being a multiple towers issue. I am having problems just standing outside in open space and getting a signal.

I did notice that the one time I went to a larger city (Milwaukee) I quickly got a GPS signal. Not sure if that was just a fluke or not.

I did install the Microsoft TELLME application which asked if I was a Sprint or Verizon customer (I am neither), I wondered if that made a modification to my device, but when I went to my providers office my BB got a GPS signal before theirs (that time) so that is no longer at the top of my list of possibilities.

So this probably is a provider issue and there is nothing I can do about it? My carrier just started offering BlackBerry service, in fact I had to convince them that I needed access to the BB Internet Service. If their AGPS system was not working properly wouldn't that make them not e911/GPS compliant with FCC guidelines? Or could it be BB specific?
    08-03-08 12:38 PM
    Instead of battling it out and paying 50+ for a bluetooth gps reciever just bite the bullet and buy a garmin nuvi 200. They're like 125 bucks now and well worth it. The screens alot bigger and its not worth battling with the 8830. (I have vzw so its a struggle)

however, if you just need directions i found google maps on my blackberry to be very effective
    08-03-08 12:41 PM
    That's what I was afraid I would have to do. I was just hoping to consolidate devices since I always have my phone on me. I did download Google Maps 2.2.2 and it is great for directions... as long as your not the one driving. Thanks!
    08-03-08 12:57 PM
    No don't buy a whole new GPS system, that's not very smart, just because the fracking screen is bigger..
    08-03-08 02:47 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. So I might not be getting the assisted part of the GPS service from my provider? My phone shouldn't be roaming as I am definitely within my area. There are not a lot of carriers in my area so I can't imagine it being a multiple towers issue. I am having problems just standing outside in open space and getting a signal.

I did notice that the one time I went to a larger city (Milwaukee) I quickly got a GPS signal. Not sure if that was just a fluke or not.

I did install the Microsoft TELLME application which asked if I was a Sprint or Verizon customer (I am neither), I wondered if that made a modification to my device, but when I went to my providers office my BB got a GPS signal before theirs (that time) so that is no longer at the top of my list of possibilities.

So this probably is a provider issue and there is nothing I can do about it? My carrier just started offering BlackBerry service, in fact I had to convince them that I needed access to the BB Internet Service. If their AGPS system was not working properly wouldn't that make them not e911/GPS compliant with FCC guidelines? Or could it be BB specific?
    Does anyone know if the problems that I am having with my GPS/aGPS are something that my provider MUST fix either on my end or their end in order to be compliant with e911/GPS guidelines set by the FCC?
    08-05-08 07:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD