I'm in France right now trying to use my BB. Before I left the US I called Verizon Global Support to change my account for data and international calling service. Now, I just see "SOS" instead of the bars on the upper part of my screen. I cannot make calls (except emergency) and have no data. I tried switching the BB to GMS and Automatic modes. I have scanned and selected three different carriers to no avail. I do have the Verizon Vodaphone SIM card. Since I have owned my BB less than 14 months and did not pay full retail price I cannot unlock it. Any ideas?
    02-14-09 09:46 AM
    I can't find my literature that came with the sim card right now but maybe someone can - I think it came with a phone number you could dial for help with the sim card.
    02-14-09 09:51 AM
    Wow. That kinda defeats the purpose of "World Edition", no?
    02-14-09 11:18 AM
    I have called Verizon Global Support Support and during a 45 minute call they had me do everything over that I had already done, I was given a ticket number for a higher level support. I am supposed to be called back within 48 hours (on a landline phone # I have access to). The Global tech rep there thinks it could be due to lack of coverage. I doubt that since we have three European cell phones in the house that I am in which work perfectly well.
    02-14-09 11:27 AM
    its not a coverage issue... i have users that go in france regularly (and have 8830we) and they work perfectly..

normally, when the sim is entered in your account, it take +-48 hours to be functionnal in other country.
    02-15-09 12:45 PM
    I am interested to see what your resolution is here...please share with us if you get this resolved!

Michael

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 09:00 AM
    Since I have owned my BB less than 14 months and did not pay full retail price I cannot unlock it. Any ideas?
    It doesnt matter how long or how much you paid for your phone. if you call verizon and request to have your phone unlocked they have to do it for you. I hope you get your problem solved. I was in Frace 3 months ago with my 8830we and had no problems with it at all. I got off the plane turned my phone on and it asked me if i would like it to automatically select network, i clicked yes and was on my way. Good luck
    02-20-09 11:14 AM
    I have used the 8830 in France with no problems, BUT i did have to reboot the phone initially, then it worked just fine.
    02-21-09 08:47 AM
    JR750, what network mode are you in? Make sure it is global.
    02-21-09 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD