Hey guys, here's the upcoming BlackBerry 'Storm' (November release??) -- Judging from your 8830 experience, would you be seriously considering the Storm touchscreen BB?

Verizon “wows” us with the Storm : Boy Genius Report
    09-23-08 03:14 PM
    If I stay with vzw, I will absolutely upgrade the day it comes out - no question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 03:15 PM
    It's a really cool device, but I am not a fan of touch screen devices...

I am sure it will work well, but not for me.... You going to ?
    09-23-08 03:16 PM
    Yes but yester its not going to be the usual TSI - you should wait til it comes out, pllay with one, then decide.

Last edited by jenaywins; 09-23-08 at 03:18 PM.
    09-23-08 03:16 PM
    I have seen a demo version. It's sweet but not for me...
    09-23-08 03:20 PM
    Consider it done
    09-23-08 03:29 PM
    It's a really cool device, but I am not a fan of touch screen devices...

I am sure it will work well, but not for me.... You going to ?
    I think I'm gonna have to agree with yester18, its cool and all but not too big of a fan of touch screen phones.. I will play with it when it comes out, but doubt I will get one.. The only thing that would be a deciding factor is how well the touchscreen worked with "my hands".. Not someone elses.. Just my .02 cents...

09-23-08 04:12 PM
    as an it decision decision maker, i need to evaluate the possible uses for this new phone and test to make sure that it is compatible with our current infrastructure.

heck yeah i am getting one. then all the division presidents and VPs can droll over it while we wait for our renewal in june.

wow you can't even say HE-double hockey sticks on this board
    Last edited by Bear7079; 09-23-08 at 06:01 PM.
    09-23-08 05:58 PM
    Disappointed about the lame 128MB of memory it has onboard. Waiting for the HTC Touch HD to make its way to CDMA. At least then I know I can hack the isht out of it to do what I want it to do. I'm glad I could at least find an exploit in 4.5 to fix the god damn ringer volume issue for everyone with an 8830 in the meantime.
    You know what's funny is I haven't had that problem. I upgraded mine and they are all loud as can be!!
    09-23-08 08:12 PM
    I am a newb....I still don't know the diff between CDMA, 3G, or EVOO

I have Verizon as my carrier.....won't change cause their commercials are cool.

No seriously, I would like a Bold/Javelin more so than the Storm. My wife has a LG Dare which I don't like the look of. And the Storm follows that same design.

Wish I could convert my wife to a Blackberry. She doesn't like them and refuses to turn from the darkside.
    09-23-08 08:35 PM
    The storm doesn't follow the same design as the dare. Just because it has the TSI just like the dare does not mean that the design itself is the same.

Also, why is everyone so against the TSI? We haven't even tried this phone out yet as consumers, so how can anyone make an assumption as to how the phone will respond, or that it sucks? The interface RIM is rumoured to be utilizing has tactile feedback - a lot different than the iphone orr any other TS device out there. Why don't we just wait for the release of the phone before judging? If I see one more thread bashing the storm, I swear...

09-23-08 08:47 PM
    I'm an 8830 verizon owner. Before I got the 8830 I was convinced that I would switch to AT&T and get an iPhone. The blackberry changed my mind. I quickly lost that desire. I have become convinced now that I will prefer the qwerty keyboard over the TSI.

The Storm is very tempting, but I think I will wait for Verizon to get the Bold.

-Rai

09-23-08 09:15 PM
    You know what's funny is I haven't had that problem. I upgraded mine and they are all loud as can be!!
    Let me guess. You're either running 4.5.0.77 and have the volume set to High or you're using the stock ringers. RIM applied a db boost to the High volume setting under .77 to closely resemble the level I had on my ringer fix. As for the stock ringers, RIM boosted those a while back... even under 4.2. Some people never thought the stock ringers were low.

Either way, if you think the ringers are loud without my fix under 4.5, then you'll really be surprised if you were to apply the video fix, but that's a bit off topic here. Give it a whirl, it's completely reversable with a simple reboot of the device. Check out the sticky in the 8830 forum.
    09-23-08 09:36 PM
    Cool....

I see we have some interesting replies. I will be upgrading to the Storm around its release range.

I find the 8830 screen size rather small and annoying, most of the time unfortunately. I do prefer buttons and a tactile feel overall, but the fact is I really do need a larger screen (Storm), and I'm sure the typing situation on its 'screen' will allow for a relatively reasonable learning curve (rather tactile feel?).

As for the 128MB flash memory on the Storm, ..... as per Civic's response, I am going to try to not acknowledge too much. I think the lowish memory is basically ridiculous.

So then what, we'll have a great device overall, but a lame Flash memory bottleneck (??), and for some people the lack of Wi-Fi (Starbucks :P).

As for my comment on the smallish screen -- I am rather picky about PC monitors, and screen resolution. At my home office, I use a 24" Dell LCD on my desktop, but I'm also rather biased toward that because I manipulate many photos, etc., on Photoshop. I'm a Photography buff I guess.
    09-24-08 06:44 PM
    I was not attempting to bash the Storm...to me it does look like the LG Dare to some degree, just my opinion. That doesn't mean that I won't go for it....I just don't prefer tthe design.

When I was initially in the market for a Blackberry I looked at and handled both the Pearl and World Edition. I chose the Pearl cause I thought the WE was too big. I quickly changed my mind and swapped it for the WE. My point is I will take a look at the Storm, test drive and make my decision then....but for right now I know that I am not giddy over the physical design
    Last edited by Jedi_Blackberry; 09-25-08 at 08:55 AM.
    09-25-08 07:57 AM
    I went from being a long time Palm OS Treo/Centro user to the BB8830. I played with the iPhone in the store, and have friends with the touchscreen WinMo phones. I want a keyboard cause typing on the iPhone was a PITA, and I just laugh watching WinMo users peck around. I doubt the BB touchscreen experience will be much different. I think BB is just going after people who are now getting used to touch only devices. I actually like going from a touchscreen keyboard hybrid (palm) to the BB with no touch.

If they come out with a BB with the same specs but in the traditional form factor, I will get one for the Quad Band GSM and UMTS support.
    09-25-08 08:40 AM
    I will be getting one early next year (new every 2). I also prefer a keyboard over touch screen. That said I will trade the keyboard for the larger screen. I might change my mind once I get it but only time will tell.

09-25-08 09:00 AM
    I too am up for an upgrade early next year and will wait til then to make a decision. I figure I'd let the holiday rush die out, get feedback on here and play with one in a store before jumping into the deep end of the pool.

Should be a good phone though. I've played with an iPhone (both 1st and 2nd generation) and it's a great multi-media device/phone; I just personally like the e-mail and app capabilities of the BB.
    09-25-08 10:34 AM
    I am due for an upgrade as of right now. I have both the 8830 and the 8330, and I am thinking of checking out the storm when it comes out in November (hopefully). I really like the design of the phone and the features it has, but I am worried that I wont like the touchscreen. I still think the 8830 has the best keyboard of any BB to date. If this was the Bold coming to VZW in November instead of the Storm I would be picking it up in a second!
    09-25-08 03:09 PM
    Im going to play around with it instore before i make the plunge. Im not due for an upgrade until sometime next year. I wouldnt mind picking it up now but it would be outright. I dont feel comfortable doing that without a little feedback from the good ole folks here.
    09-25-08 03:20 PM
    I will upgrade as soon as Mobipocket releases the ebook reader for the Storm.

Gotta have my books!
    09-25-08 04:40 PM
    I'm confused...people are complaining about 128MB onboard memory but the boy genius link posted by the OP says 1GB onboard memory...

I think it's too soon to make a decision about the Storm. I prefer a keyboard as well but if the tactile feedback on the onscreen keyboard works well it might be worth the tradeoff for the larger screen.
    09-25-08 05:46 PM
    I'm tempted to go with the Storm, but I like my World Edition. Ever since I jumped up to .77, I have been seriously digging this phone. I held my 8830 up next to a co-worker's Centro on AT&T and he about busted a nut. I had an offer for the phone right there.

I'm mad as heck about the GPS situation, but VZ Nav usually doesn't let me down. There was that time earlier this week I was led down a dead end in evening rush hour traffic, resulting in lost commuting time.....

: )
    09-25-08 10:42 PM
    I won't be switching out my 8830 for the Storm. I'm not trying to "bash" the Storm, different opinions make the world go 'round (or something like that). I haven't seen or tried the Storm, so I have no reason to like it or not like it.

Personally, I want a true QWERTY keyboard. I don't care how tactile a touch-screen keyboard might be, I like real keys. Call me old fashioned, but when I learned to type we were still using Royal manual typewriters.

I'm not due for an upgrade until June 2009 (I think), so I'll wait and see what is available at that point. I am hoping that VZW will eventually get the Javelin and/or the Bold. I might even hang onto my 8830 if VZW ever releases the 4.5 (or higher) OS. I have the black after-market housing on it and I'm happy with it.

JMO.
    09-26-08 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD