Just got a Verizon BB 8830 -- it's great.

But there's an issue with Outlook sync. Using the BlackBerry Desktop software that came with the unit, the Contacts/Address Book syncs perfectly (adds, changes, deletes); but the Calendar doesn't "sync" -- it just copies all the calendar entries every time, no adds & changes. So making a change in the BB calendar doesn't get into the linked computer; only changes in Outlook get moved to the BB, along with everything else.

I'm using BIS. This happens on both PC and notebook.

Is this a common problem? Is it a problem? Anybody have this experience?

Thanks very much. I'm new to this forum, and it looks like a terrific resource.
    05-20-07 07:37 PM
    You need to check the settings in the Desktop Manager under Syncronize then Configuration Tab. Then click on configure sync. There should be a place to configure whether data gets sync'd or written to the PC or the Handheld.
    05-20-07 10:25 PM
    I too am having the same issue. I've gone as far as wiping the device twice and re-creating my Outlook profile. When syncing, it will sync all calendar events to the device, but not the other way around as you described. One thing interesting to note, is I went into the Database Sizes under Status and under Calendar it shows 0/0.0k, but I have over 900 entries that show up on the BB when I go into the calendar.

Addresses, Memo's, Tasks are all syncing fine. I have a friend that has the same issue too, with the same 8830. Seems to be a bug. Anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?
    05-23-07 12:32 AM
    Thanks, t. It's reassuring to hear that it may not be something I'm doing wrong.

Now how can we find a solution? Is RIM the one who writes the sync software, or is that provided by someone else?

Is there any kind of help service for the Desktop software?
    05-23-07 05:46 PM
    I believe the Desktop Manager software (excluding the media manager new in Service Pack 2) is maintained by RIM. Your help service for DM is right here - we'd be happy to help you with any questions you may have!
    05-23-07 10:26 PM
    Well, it seems to be a common problem (at least among the group of 4 or so BB users who have responded to these messages!).

The Intellisync software in Desktop Manager syncs the address book (Contacts), memo (Notes), and tasks folders from Outlook to BB with no problem -- meaning they update from PC to BB and from BB to PC, making changes/adds/deletes.

However, the calendar does not "sync" -- it simply copies the Calendar folder from PC to BB. So if an appointment is added on the BB, it does not get transferred to the PC on sync. Rather, it just gets deleted (since it doesn't exist on the PC, which controls).

What can we do about this? Is it only on the 8830? Is there an update or service pack for DM? Who would know?

It's a real problem for anyone trying to use the BB as a business resource while traveling.
    05-24-07 10:47 AM
    I've read that this is a known issue that RIM is working on.
    05-24-07 11:41 AM
    I hear Verizon will release a patch tomorrow. Not holding my breath though. We'll see soon enough.
    05-24-07 12:40 PM
    Thank god. I thought I was having an issue with Outlook 2007. I started a thread on this at the beginning of the week in the 8800 serious help forum. I will call verizon and verify about the patch. Thanks.
    05-24-07 12:45 PM
    I am having this problem as well.

I just spent an hour and a half of my life with Verizon customer non support and the first "technical" person I spoke with told me over and over again that this is exactly the correct way for the software to perform.

The second CNS person says they will open a trouble ticket and I will get a call in a few days. None of them and their supervisors I spoke with indicated they had the slightest idea that is is a widespread problem.

Apparently, you can call RIM and ask them about it, but you will have to pay them $50 out of your pocket to even find out if they know about the issue or have a solution. I have been all over their FAQs on sync issues and there is no hint of this issue on their site.
    05-24-07 04:15 PM
    I hear Verizon will release a patch tomorrow. Not holding my breath though. We'll see soon enough.

Where did you pick up this information?
    05-24-07 04:16 PM
    I just spent about 90 minutes on the phone with Verizon data tech support and then conferenced with the Blackberry folks. RIM is aware of the problem and said installing the latest version of the Verizon blackberry software 4.x and erasing all the old data could solve the problem.

I was asked to go to

[url=http://www.vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry[/url]

.....enter my wireless number and select the first item, which is the Blackberry software. Well, I could not get it to work because the site told me that I did not have a valid Verizon phone number. Fortunately, the Verizon tech on the call provided one that actually worked and I downloaded the new software that was posted on May 23rd. (you are limited to using this download six times according to the message I received when I used the Verizon supplied number to try and access the site again)

I backed up the 8830 and then ran the install of the BB software using the advanced option of erasing the existing data. According to the RIM person this should remove any corruption that could be causing the problem.

After the 8830 re-booted and I set the date and time I attempted to sync only the calendar information. Like before, it dumped 133 items into my blackberry. I checked the 8830 and all of the events were on the device. However, the RIM tech had me press the menu button while the calendar was showing on my 8830 and then select options. The last item in the list is the number of entries in the calendar/events database. Mine showed 0 entries. According to the RIM guy my problem was NOT fixed.

Next, I manually created an appointment on the 8830 and performed another sync. This event WAS NOT sent to my Outlook calendar.

So, for the time being, this issue has NO RESOLUTION. The RIM guy says they will send it to their intermediate tech level and bring the code guys in and see how to fix it. He says it will involve yet another upgrade to the Verizon version of the software for the 8830. He had no ETA for this software release.

I reminded him that even if they released it this afternoon, because Verizon did not recognize my phone number as valid I have no way to download it. I guess when the time comes I will have to get another number from Verizon to use.

I have run into the invalid Verizon number issue before with their customer support and they have never been able to resolve the issue and they cannot give me an explanation as to why they cannot resolve the issue.

The RIM tech also confirmed for a fact that the 8830 does have full GPS capability, but Verizon has chosen to lock out this function unless you subscribe to the Verizon map service.

I wish I had better news. I hope each of you with this problem with Verizon will call them and report the issue and urge them to get a fix ASAP. I depend upon my calendar function and the fact that I cannot enter a new appointment on the blackberry and have it sync is a real problem.
    05-25-07 12:12 PM
    I wish I had better news. I hope each of you with this problem with Verizon will call them and report the issue and urge them to get a fix ASAP. I depend upon my calendar function and the fact that I cannot enter a new appointment on the blackberry and have it sync is a real problem.
    That's all helpful information, even if it doesn't solve the problem; thanks a lot for passing it along.

I'll call, too, and see if we can gang up on 'em!

--
    05-25-07 12:56 PM
    Mine is actually sending appointments from Outlook 2003 to the 8830, but not from the 8830 to my Outlook 2003. Everything else works just fine, but the calendar was one of the features I was looking for when I decided to switch from the Treo line to the BB line. Any word on the fix yet?
    05-29-07 11:07 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com, moytb! A fix should be out soon to take care of that problem.
    05-29-07 11:46 AM
    I'm using Outlook 2003 and BES.
    I just entered a test appointment on my 8830 and within a couple of minutes the test appointment showed up in Outlook on my desktop puter. So wireless sync is working correctly for me.
    05-29-07 03:14 PM
    I am having trouble trying to bluetooth music from my mac to my 8830 but on my computer it says connection failed wat do i do please help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-07 08:45 PM
    With all transfers to/from the BB, you have to initiate the transfer on the BB. Are you ensuring you are doing this?
    05-30-07 04:00 AM
    I spent too much time on the phone w both Verizon and RIM before getting to tech support people who acknowledged that this is a "known" problem and they are working on a patch. unfortunately, it is not "known" by most of the tech support staff so they will spend hours w you having you reboot and reinstall software before they figure that out...

however, if you complain, you can get Verizon to give you some money back on the device. I got $50 without much trouble. Their first offer was $25.

Everyone should call and complain and demand some cash...

It made me feel a tiny bit better, though I still find the inability to sync my calendar to be very annoying. And maybe it will make them come up w a patch sooner.
    06-01-07 02:27 PM
    This really is sad! Sad that a wireless company can hold it's customers to ransom, and do this to it's customers. Did we not already fork out 'a ton' for a device we've been waiting forever for (am speaking on behalf of all CrackBerry.com users & visitors. I'm actually a T-Mobile customer, but feel your pain nonetheless), and why should we get a device with features disabled?

Well, can you explain?
    06-01-07 02:41 PM
    I also just got off the phone with Verizon technical support. The tech was unaware of the problem, and she even checked with higher tier support who reported no cases of this issue.

It troubles me that their own tech support is unaware of this problem. I urge all affected 8830 users to call in and complain so that Verizon can take this issue more seriously.
    06-01-07 05:06 PM
    Right! I had to go through the same routine to get to a RIM tech for the info I posted on Tuesday. (See the thread called "UPDATE -- 8830 Calendar Sync Issue").

Got a Verizon tech who went through the script, then bucked me to a "higher level" tech, who happened to be great. (You might try asking for Susan Carlisle when you call in to Verizon.) She downloaded the Service Books and a bunch of other stuff until we finally got the RIM guy on the line; and he's the first one who said "Yeah, that's a known problem."

They clearly need better communication somewhere in the system. Mighty frustrating, even with competent reps on the line.
    06-01-07 06:04 PM
    I'm finally fixed! I went and downloaded the latest BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 updated 5-31-2007 from vzw.smithmicro dot com/blackberry/

From what I noticed, it's a downgrade from 4.2.2.14 (installed from CD) to 4.2.2.12.

After that, my calendar's finally synced up with no duplicates. Hopefully this will work out for everyone else with the same issue.
    06-02-07 02:13 AM
    tmiles:

Others have reported that this installation did not solve the calendar problem and RIM says it does not solve the problem as well. So before we all relax, please answer the following questions:

Are you on BIS and syncing with the cable?

Have you entered a calendar entry on the 8830 and had it successfully transfer via sync to your computer?

Does your calendar database on the BB show multiple entries or does it still show 0 entries?
    06-02-07 09:58 AM
    tmiles:

Others have reported that this installation did not solve the calendar problem and RIM says it does not solve the problem as well. So before we all relax, please answer the following questions:

Are you on BIS and syncing with the cable?

Have you entered a calendar entry on the 8830 and had it successfully transfer via sync to your computer?

Does your calendar database on the BB show multiple entries or does it still show 0 entries?
    I'm using BIS syncing with a cable on a Windows XP/Outlook 2007 setup. Under database sizes I show all 599 entries for the calendar.

I've done several calendar entries on both the BB and Outlook and they show up just fine after a sync. Even deleted a few entries on both as well and that worked as well.
    06-02-07 10:59 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD