Does anyone know when this update will be released for Verizon?
    01-08-08 01:36 AM
    We have the most up to date version: 4.2.2.176.
    Desktop Manager v4.3 is available, and 4.3 OS is available on Curve and Pearl.
    I welcome opinion, but does the 8830 even need an OS update?
    Check forums.crackberry.com/f61/os-4-3-release-4215/ for another thread on the same topic.
    01-08-08 01:48 AM
    was there something about streaming codecs in OS 4.3 or is that just a pearl thing?
    01-08-08 01:54 AM
    Thanks for the info Mira. I guess OS 4.3 is not available for the 8830 yet. Here is the article Blackberry released:

Details
    This article profiles the main changes to BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.

SureType� Enhancements

Word Completion

As BlackBerry smartphone users type, a list of word options is displayed when the BlackBerry smartphone user pauses. The vertical list consists of word selections that are the closest match to the word the BlackBerry smartphone user is trying to type. The BlackBerry smartphone user may then select the word.

Advanced Editing

BlackBerry smartphone users may now scroll to a word they want to correct and move between specific letters by rolling the trackball up or down to flip between letters.

Improved Frequency Learning

Commonly used words are recognized with greater consistency.

Wireless BlackBerry Device Software Upgrades

BlackBerry smartphone users can wirelessly upgrade their BlackBerry smartphone.

Voice Notes

BlackBerry smartphone users can record voice notes using the Voice Notes feature. Voice notes can be sent using the following:

Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) messages
    Email messages
    Personal identification number (PIN)
    Instant messaging
    The BlackBerry smartphone user may also store the recorded voice note locally for playback at a later time. For more information on Voice Notes, see KB05452.

Note: BlackBerry Messenger supports this feature with BlackBerry Device software 4.2.1.

Selectable Phone Equalizer

Adjust the audio to best suit the BlackBerry smartphone user listening preference. Listening preferences include:

Normal
    Boost Bass
    Boost Treble
    For instructions on improving phone call quality, see KB14258.

Enhanced Voice IT Policy Controls

IT Policies may be used to manage voice usage. A whitelist (always allow) and blacklist (never allow) of phone numbers can be created.

Ability to Allow Ability to Control International Calls - allow or deny international calls received to the BlackBerry smartphone
    Ability to Allow or Deny by Area Code and Single Numbers - create Allow or Deny calling lists by area code and single numbers
    BlackBerry� Maps Enhancements

Points of Interest

Using the Local Search menu option, search for local businesses and landmarks within a 30 kilometer radius of the current location. For instructions, see KB14271.

Route Saving

Routes from one location to another may be saved for later viewing. For instructions, see KB05451.

Multimedia Enhancements

Send and receive video files using MMS

Attach video files to MMS messages, and play video files received using MMS. For more information, see KB14268.

3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) Progressive download

Allows streaming and playback of media from web sites on the BlackBerry smartphone using a browser.

3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) Progressive download

Allows streaming and playback of media from web sites on Wi-Fi� enabled BlackBerry smartphones.

Note: This feature is currently only supported on the BlackBerry� Pearl� 8130 smartphone.

Music playlist support in the Media application

Create and edit playlists (in .m3u format) directly in the Media application on the BlackBerry smartphone.

Video recording

BlackBerry smartphone users can record video using the Camera by selecting the Video Camera icon. The following options may be selected to control settings:

Video light - brightens dark environments to improve video recording
    White balance - control white balance of the camera; options include Automatic, Indoor, and Sunny
    Video format - use normal mode (240X180) or lower quality MMS mode (176X144)
    Store videos - decide where to save video files
    Browser Enhancements

The start page accommodates easier navigation and displays the five most recently visited bookmarks. If the BlackBerry smartphone user clicks Bookmarks or History, they are redirected to a dedicated screen, respectively.
    01-08-08 02:03 AM
    Woah. That's a long list. Thanks for posting. A lot of things I won't notice but I do look forward to being able to deny international calls coming in and the SureType word list (and contact search) was something I envied in the Pearl. The only thing, really.
    I wonder to what POI refers? There is already a local search function in Maps that is actually more comprehensive than VZ Navigator's POIs! Although Maps got my home address confused with a neighboring city. We're not in rural Kansas or anything...

Some things, obviously the video recording and camera features, will not apply to the 8830, which begs the question if any of the other additions will be included in the next 8830 upgrade OR if it will be completely different as it is a different device...?
    What if they decide not to include some of the GPS additions because of VZ Navigator's prevalence? It can be argued 8830 users don't really care about the media additions, either, as we are primarily business users!
    Secretly, I'd like to see 3D maps (at least) and live traffic data (in my dreams) enabled in Maps (for free!) or even in Navigator but I won't buy a puck or subscribe to an additional GPS service for that right now. I guess that's asking for a bit much though.

The release date is still only speculative but you can bet when information becomes available you will find it here first!
    I just got my 8830 configured to my liking so I'm in no hurry for an OS update just yet, even though the updates are far more straightforward than they are on Palms running Windows Mobile. Yes, I'm still scarred...

Edit: I know what POI's are. I have a navigation system in my vehicle. Hello! Categories. Duh!
    Sorry about that. Hope it brings a smile....
    Last edited by MiraSchism; 01-08-08 at 05:03 AM.
    01-08-08 05:00 AM
    No one knows when the OS update is coming,sucks 8830 users won't get to use all the features,another reason I left verizon,got a curve now and love it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-08 06:34 AM
    The streaming codecs are needed for when Sling comes out for BB in a few months. And as for 8830 being for business purposes only.... speak for yourself, I got it because of the screen and keyboard. The damn screen is small enough on this one, let alone the damn pearl. And suretype... you'll never see that on a QWERTY keyboard BB. The minute 4.3 comes out for ANY carrier on the 8830 I'm loading it.
    01-08-08 10:07 AM
    No one knows when the OS update is coming,sucks 8830 users won't get to use all the features,another reason I left verizon,got a curve now and love it

Yea I'd jump ship too if all the other carriers didn't suck in my area but I still love my 8830 and the service is great.
    01-08-08 08:25 PM
    We have the most up to date version: 4.2.2.176.
    Desktop Manager v4.3 is available, and 4.3 OS is available on Curve and Pearl.
    I welcome opinion, but does the 8830 even need an OS update?
    Check forums.crackberry.com/f61/os-4-3-release-4215/ for another thread on the same topic.

4.3 is only available on the CDMA Pearls and its not available at all yet on the Curve.
    01-09-08 12:02 AM
    I use the 8830 for non business purposes also. Although I have no need for a camera on my phone. The device has great media capabilities as an ipod alternative. Anyways, the voice notes would be great and the streaming video would also be a plus. You definately can use the 8830 for more then just email and I think the 4.3 update will just expand those capabilities (hopefully).

p.s. spend $50 and get a gps puck. there are a few free gps programs that work great. Nav4all.com works great. you will be glad you did.
    01-16-08 02:41 PM
    i have nav4all, it will not work on my blackberry? get a message no GPS?
    what is GPS puck?
    01-16-08 10:15 PM
    unless they are enabling gps, I dont really see what else needs to be added.
    01-16-08 11:18 PM
    how do u check what version OS u have?
    01-17-08 02:27 AM
    nvm found it
    01-17-08 02:27 AM
    unless they are enabling gps, I dont really see what else needs to be added.
    should update the A2DP Bluetooth protocol so we can use wireless Bluetooth headphones to listen to the audio portion of videos. currently, we can only use wireless Bluetooth headphones to make calls and listen to audio files - when the 8830 plays a video, the audio portion only comes out of the 8830's speaker, not the wireless Bluetooth headphones.
    01-17-08 03:33 PM
    I know unlocked GPS is a pipe dream so the biggest thing I could hope to get out of 4.3 would be the ability to receive MMS messages instead of a indirect link to the vzwpix website. I really don't understand why they require this step, at the minimum they should have an option to forward the MMS message to our email so we can see picture attachments. I don't have a big need to send MMS but I do have the need to receive them from employees out in the field and the vzwpix website is absolutely atrocious in terms of logging in from the browser. (A built-in IM client would be nice too, as much as I like Jive Talk it drains the battery very quickly)

should update the A2DP Bluetooth protocol so we can use wireless Bluetooth headphones to listen to the audio portion of videos. currently, we can only use wireless Bluetooth headphones to make calls and listen to audio files - when the 8830 plays a video, the audio portion only comes out of the 8830's speaker, not the wireless Bluetooth headphones.
    Am I missing something with regard to A2DP? I have a Jabra BT8010 and I can listen to music and movies over my headset without a problem. The only thing I have to do is hit the menu key once I queue up a song and select "Activate Jabra BT8010". I don't use the stereo function but when I bought the BT8010 I did verify that it actually plays in stereo (not just mono across both earpieces).
    02-05-08 03:32 PM
    MMS is already supported by RIM's OS on the 8830 as is. The problem is that Verizon does not send the service book for it because the phone does not have a camera. Stupidity on Verizon's part.
    02-05-08 04:26 PM
    I am both a business and personal user. I don't need a camera or video recorder in my phone. This is what my Handycam and cameras are for.

I still want the upgrade for the non MM features, and who knows, perhaps the browser will support mobile.live.com.

02-06-08 11:27 PM
    I am both a business and personal user. I don't need a camera or video recorder in my phone. This is what my Handycam and cameras are for.

I still want the upgrade for the non MM features, and who knows, perhaps the browser will support mobile.live.com.

So if you need a camera in case of an emergency, like a car accident or something, you always carry a camcorder and still camera with you in your pockets? I think you see my point.

Think of it like a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it then need one and not have it.
    02-07-08 09:36 AM
    I've been under the apprehension that the current version (4.2.2.176) of the 8830 code would not support Bluetooth A2DP and thus the Motorola ROKR S9 would not work completely with the 8830.

If someone can disabuse me of this noton I will 1) be thrilled, 2) immediately go and buy a Motorola ROKR S9, and 3) start berating myself for not asking for one for Xmas.

FWIW, My 8830 is a gift from my employer. I do not question the fact that it makes me more productive, and I use it to the fullest for personal gain. All I need is a stereo bluetooth headset/phone to make it the ideal one-stop portable device.

Thank you ..

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.r.w; 02-07-08 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    02-07-08 09:41 PM
    I'm using the Moto S9 with my Verizon 8830 with the most recent firmware. I _THINK_ that it is working in stereo mode. I see three messages line...

Handsfree
    Stereo Audio

and some A/V line of text....
    02-08-08 12:22 AM
    I'm using the Moto S9 with my Verizon 8830 ...
    Thanks F2 .. does the S9 work as a phone with your 8830 too?
    02-08-08 10:32 AM
    Regarding the subject matter of the 4.3 OS for 8830, there will be no such thing, in fact i read either here on CB or BlackBerry Cool | The voice of the Blackberry community. regarding the 4.5 OS which will be available for not just 8830 WE but many other devices, though it seems it will not be available soon, perhaps in two months or so. The 4.5 is the revamped version of the 4.3 OS.
    02-08-08 02:04 PM
    Thanks F2 .. does the S9 work as a phone with your 8830 too?
    Yes, you can use it for phone calls.
    02-08-08 04:20 PM
    do you guys know where i can get the verizon OS 4.2 for 8830? I have 4.5 and want to downgrade asap! thanks.
    01-26-10 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD