Verizon posted new 8830 device software today version 4.2.2.148. I have not finished loading it yet, so nothing to report. Find it here.
    08-02-07 06:45 PM
    Lets post anything new
    08-02-07 07:14 PM
    I was actually able to download the OS update using my actual Verizon phone number. I guess after 78 days they finally fixed the problem. Now to get the OS upgraded....on second hand....I think I will wait for the first victim to try it first.....
    08-02-07 07:53 PM
    I downloaded the two files, but I haven't had my bb that long, so I am not sure how to go about upgrading. Could someone run me through a quick explaination as to how?

Thanks.
    08-02-07 08:03 PM
    Anyone want to bet the GPS works now?
    08-02-07 08:11 PM
    Not a chance
    08-02-07 08:12 PM
    Already tried, its a no-go..

Hey Ryan why are you unreachable on PIN?
    08-02-07 08:13 PM
    Did it do anything useful?
    08-02-07 08:53 PM
    Nope, nothing I can tell.
    08-02-07 09:03 PM
    i believe it should have louder ring volume, and unlock the sim function
    08-03-07 02:06 AM
    What a day!!! Ok I saw the update when i was just browsing around. I deceided to download it. My BlackBerry Desktop Manager would not recognize the file. So I called up Verizon. They said that there should be no problem. I then asked what the update took care of before he connected me to RIM to further figure out what was going on. He said the update included the calander patch, added stereo bluetooth, fixed backlight issues, fixed verizon issues, and fixed the ringer volume. So I got connected to RIM. 5 and a half hours later I JUST got off the phone with them and here is the outcome. I could not install the new 4.2.2.148 software even WITH the javaloder program so im back to the 4.2.2.66. I backed up my device before I did anything and my backup .ipd file was gone. So basically I was on the phone for a total of 6 and a half hours and I got nowhere lost everything on my device. I am BEYOND pisses. The rep at RIM said he was escalating my case and they would contact me within 24-48 hours. THAT HELPS CONSIDERING HOW I HAVE NO ONES NUMBER!!!! Am I the only one who has had this problem?
    I would redownload the blackberry desktop software and try again. It worked for me without any major problems.
    08-03-07 05:32 AM
    ...what the update took care of before he connected me to RIM to further figure out what was going on. He said the update included the calander patch, added stereo bluetooth, fixed backlight issues, fixed verizon issues, and fixed the ringer volume.
    Is there any chance that one of the 'verizon issues' that was fixed was the memory leak issue?
    08-03-07 07:39 AM
    I just loaded the upgrade. I tested the ringer volume and it is STILL too faint to really hear.

They did not fix this unless there is a double secret setting they have not told us about.
    08-03-07 07:48 AM
    All,
    I am a newb, but here is the list from the installation of the update:
    Application data will be backed up.

All application data will be erased.

All existing applications will be erased.

Applications to be installed or updated:
    BlackBerry 4.2 System Software
    BlackBerry 4.2 Core Applications
    French
    Spanish
    BlackBerry API Library
    BlackBerry Attachment Service
    BlackBerry Certificate Key Store Browser Library
    BlackBerry CMS Library
    BlackBerry Crypto 1 Library
    BlackBerry Crypto 2 Library
    BlackBerry Crypto 3 Library
    BlackBerry Crypto Applications API Library
    BlackBerry ECMAScript Library
    BlackBerry Key Store Browser Library
    BlackBerry LDAP Browser Library
    BlackBerry Maps
    BlackBerry Messenger
    BlackBerry PGP Email Library
    BlackBerry PGP Key Store Browser Library
    BlackBerry PGP LDAP Browser
    BlackBerry PGP Library
    BlackBerry S/MIME Email Library
    BlackBerry Sample Video
    BlackBerry Secure Email Library
    BlackBerry X.509 LDAP Browser
    BlackBerry XML Library
    BrickBreaker
    Browser
    CalendarOTAPatcher
    French Language Support
    GSA CAC Smart Card Driver Library
    Help
    MemoPad
    Password Keeper
    Phone
    PIV Smart Card Driver Library
    SafeNet 330 Smart Card Driver Library
    Spanish Language Support
    Tasks
    Google Maps
    Sudoku

Unrecognized modules that will be removed:
    net_rim_bb_calendar_dbpatcher
    Application data will be restored.
    Message service information will be updated.

Don't know if this helps, but thought that I'd post.
    08-03-07 07:58 AM
    hi to all. newbie here. just upgraded. two issues came up:

first, when it was completed, my signal was off so had to turn it on thru Manage Connections.

second, i use to get an asterisk on my yahoo! mail icon when i receive a mail but now, i don't. the asterisk comes up only on the messages icon and my bberry.net icon. is it because i have yahoo! go?

can live with that but if someone can help on the second, it'll be great.

ringing issue didn't improve.

awesome forum! great moderators! more power...
    08-03-07 10:20 AM
    Just upgraded, took about 10 minutes.....Nothing has changed. lol GPS still no, ringer still soft. Wow, that was worth it. :P
    08-03-07 11:40 AM
    Just upgraded, took about 10 minutes.....Nothing has changed. lol GPS still no, ringer still soft. Wow, that was worth it. :P
    What did they fix? They sure didn't fix anything that was really wrong with the phone. Like ringer, GPS , Vibration,
    08-03-07 11:44 AM
    Perhaps they installed mind control software to keep us from complaining about them not fixing any of the bugs in the software!!

If you hear strange sounds coming from the earpiece when you are making a call it just might be subliminal audio re-programming your brain to be a compliant and satisfied Verizon customer.

This is a joke, of course!
    08-03-07 12:10 PM
    0 Changes as far as I can tell. No clue what was new.
    08-03-07 12:36 PM
    I downloaded the 8300 Aug file and now appointments I set on my BB actually transfer to my Outlook and vise-versa
    08-03-07 01:32 PM
    Newbie here,
    Just did the update prior to joining here, BB homepage on the browser has changed to some VZW BS with "buy my crap" options.

All files seem in tact. From what I read the update allows PGP encryption on the device, as well as added email attachment handling and better browser compatibility.
    08-03-07 05:55 PM
    Is anyone having issues installing the upgrade? I downloaded the new version of desktop manager and I am still getting an error message when I go to install the actual upgrade. Can anyone help please? Thank you.
    08-04-07 01:39 AM
    Re quiet ring tones: Download Wavepad....edit your tone up to 300%, move back to phone using media manger, make sure to choose "no conversion tranfer method".

You now have as many louder ringtones as you want to change. The volume cranks now.....300% increase should do it. : )

Done and done. ; )
    Last edited by MikeJee; 08-04-07 at 03:34 AM.
    08-04-07 01:55 AM
    where can you get wavepad?
    08-05-07 07:35 AM
    Nobody posted the listed fixes on this thread so:

fixes for the following known issues:

� GSM to CDMA Reconnect
    � Call Collision
    � System Determination (GSM Mode)
    � Calendar Sync Issues
    � Ringer Volume
    � Unlocked SIM Functionality - The device can now be unlocked to support the use of
    non-VZW SIMs for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks.
    Important Note: Customers using third-party SIMs are not supported by VZW while
    roaming on GSM/GPRS networks.
    � Added Stereo Bluetooth Support - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP
    Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets
    � Keypad Backlighting
    � CDMA Radio Fixes

I'm excited that they are CLAIMING that call collision is fixed. I got tired of having to pull my battery out to reset the phone everytime somebody called while i was making a phone call. We shall see! I use vibrate exclusively so the ringer volume issue doesn't apply to me as much, but i'd really like to get what I paid for like the rest of you, eh?
    08-05-07 04:02 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD