I very recently updated my old blackberry to an BB 8830 world. I'm having a number of problems that I can't seem to fix. The major new one is that the data stream in and out arrows in the right upper corner are going constantly (eating battery quickly). I can only stop them by turning off data acquisition mode. I tried turning the device off, pulled out the battery, but nothing stops the arrows going constantly. I am using the device with BB enterprise associated with work.
    Other issues: 1. finally got my 4 gig microSD card to be recognized by the device after many re fittings into the card holder. HOwever, I can't get the blackberry software media manager on my laptop PC to allow the media card to be the designation of a transfer of files. It keeps popping up a message to turn on mass storage "please activate mass storage mode on your device", but I have already set the device on for mass storage, click highlight Media Card, and it again brings up the same message. I also have tried it with mass storage mode off and it doesn't work. Only once for reasons that are unclear to me, i was able to designate the media card as the target of the transfer and it worked. But can't figure out how to do it again.
    2. I downloaded Epocrates, BB software for pharmacy use, to the device memory before I got the memory card working, but I can't figure out how to move it to the 4 gb microcard now in place.
    3. email attachments don't open: I get the message "more request cannot be completed. Service book information not found".
    I love the other aspects of the device, but frustrated that these other issues seems so complicated and difficult to solve.
    Any suggestions how to proceed?
    Thanks
    01-19-09 05:54 PM
    The constant data arrows and the email attachments issue may be related. It sounds like something isn't right with your BES. Did your IT department give you an activation password? Did it activate correctly?

Media Manager on the PC is a terrible piece of software. Since you have a Media Card, just use Mass Storage Mode.
    Mass Storage Mode lets you drag and drop files to/from your computer to your BlackBerry Media Card. You enable it as follows:

Options / Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.

For most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager. The only time you really have to use Media Manager is to get pictures out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode can't see the device memory. Once the pictures are on the Media Card, Mass Storage Mode will let you drag and drop between the BlackBerry and your PC.

In Rim's implementation of microSD cards, they're used for ringtones, videos, music, and pictures. (That's why Rim calls them Media Cards, even though they're sold as microSD cards.) You can also use one as a memory stick, like a USB disk, using Mass Storage mode, but you can't access those files from the BlackBerry without 3rd party software. You can't run apps from one, yet.

You can't run Epocrates from a Media card. You may not be able to run it on an 8830 at all. It has a very large memory requirement. You may find it necessary to switch to an 8330 (which has 50% more memory) to run Epocrates. I've never used it, so I can't help you with how to set it up to store files on the Media card, assuming it can. But regardless of whether it can use the Media card for storage, it will have to run in device memory.
    01-19-09 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD