I want to use my fone as a modem for my laptop. Is there any way around this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-08 06:17 PM
    Not that I know of, I wish though

02-28-08 06:30 PM
    You could add a BT keyboard. You would still be limited to using a magnafying glass to see the screen. This is ok for email etc. There is even a printer to use via BT. I don't know if they work at the same time.

I wish there was a larger screen to hook up to the mini usb, that would be cool.
    02-28-08 07:29 PM
    Yes, there is an EASY way to use your Blackberry as a modem on your desktop without any additional charges (aka only uses your data plan).

At least, for my 8830 on TELUS Mobility in Canada this works. You must have a Bluetooth enabled computer, however.

1. On your 8830, go to Options>Advanced Options>TCP, and in the APN field enter your network's APN (For TELUS, it is TM1X.IMC.IS, but will be different for each network), and leave the username/password fields BLANK.

2. Pair your 8830 to your computer via Bluetooth (make sure you have your 8830 set to TRUST all connections with your computer).

3. When connected, your computer's Bluetooth Set Up Assistant will ask you which services you want to use from your BB8830. Ensure that the option for using the device's data plan as a bluetooth modem is selected.

4. For the type of connection/vendor, selection GENERIC.

5. For the model, select GPRS (GSM/3G). **I know this seems odd seeing how the 8830 runs on CDMA, but trust me... it is working for me with no problems!

6. Once you select GPRS, an APN field will appear - enter the same APN you entered on your Blackberry 8830 in step 1. Leave the "CID" field set to "1".

7. You should now be able to connect via the Bluetooth Modem on your computer - on your BB8830, "Modem Mode Enabled" will appear on the screen.

Any questions send a PM to me and I can help walk you through it... you will need to contact your service provider however to get the APN.

Also, I am using my device with a MACINTOSH computer, MAC OS X 10.5 Leopard, however I have successfully done this with a Vista computer as well.
    02-29-08 01:53 AM
    02-29-08 01:51 PM
    Where do you find the APN code?

03-02-08 01:23 PM
    The APN must be obtained from your service provider. Call them and ask for the BlackBerry tech support line and they will know what you mean when you ask for the APN.

03-02-08 02:00 PM
    No other way to get the APN #? If I do have to call, what should I tell them the reason is?

03-02-08 02:03 PM
    Call and ask for the BlackBerry support team and ask them for the APN. They shouldn't give you a hard time about it (my provider had no problem at all, TELUS). If they won't give it to you, contact RIM tech support and they have it available too.

03-02-08 11:42 PM
    What about the Shark Modem?
    03-03-08 09:44 AM
    What about the Shark Modem?
    Doesn't work. And the whole APN thing won't work for VZW either. The reason that doesn't work is because VZW blanked the tethered NAI programming in the CDMA radio. You need a program (QPST) to get onto the CDMA radio and fill in the tethered NAI info back in. Once done, then it'll work. And no, don't ask because I can't tell you how to do it... the mods will start to cry. The post has been made before on here and on bbf, but it was a while back.
    03-03-08 10:50 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something but all I did was follow this thread and it workd:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html
    03-03-08 11:07 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something but all I did was follow this thread and it workd:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html
    It worked? I have gotten it to work with Shark Modem. Where you able to do it without?
    03-03-08 11:32 AM
    It worked? I have gotten it to work with Shark Modem. Where you able to do it without?
    Yep!

It worked fine, not VZ Access Manager or Shark Modem.

Much better then with my Treo, I had to use PDA Net to get it to work.
    03-03-08 12:29 PM
    Yep!

It worked fine, not VZ Access Manager or Shark Modem.

Much better then with my Treo, I had to use PDA Net to get it to work.
    Not sure if I am missing a step, but I manually added the modem. I have it set up on Com3, Query Modem returns a response.

I try to connect, I get Modem Mode Enabled on the 8830, but when it comes time to verify username and password it errors out saying "Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain." I am using phone#@vzw3g.com , phone# for username and password.

What am I doing wrong, or is it possible you are paying for the tethering.
    03-03-08 01:22 PM
    Not sure if I am missing a step, but I manually added the modem. I have it set up on Com3, Query Modem returns a response.

I try to connect, I get Modem Mode Enabled on the 8830, but when it comes time to verify username and password it errors out saying "Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain." I am using phone#@vzw3g.com , phone# for username and password.

What am I doing wrong, or is it possible you are paying for the tethering.
    Try using this as the password:

It doesn't always work. I just tried it now.
    03-03-08 01:54 PM
    Still no go
    03-03-08 02:29 PM
    Still no go
    I don't even have the VZ software installed. Maybe you need to have it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have it installed when I had it working.

I just tried and it didn't work for me.

I will try this later tonight or tomorrow to go back through the steps.
    03-03-08 02:38 PM
    I just tried and it didn't work for me.
    Your little trick used to work a while back and with older Blackberries. The 8830 and 8130 no longer has the proper NAI info on the CDMA radio. This is why you can't authenticate. Unless you're paying for tethering YOU CAN'T DO THIS!!! If you were to have tethering added to your account then you could get it to work like this without the stupid VZAccess software.
    03-03-08 03:06 PM
    So you're saying if I have the Telus $15 a month for unlimited data on blackberry plan, I can use this on my laptop and connect to the net? I thought they considered that a different type of data and could tell and charged differently..
    03-03-08 03:20 PM
    Is it true that I have to have a tethering plan to be able to use my berry as a modem? I am with AT&T by the way. *Live Laugh Love*

03-03-08 03:39 PM
    Doesn't work. And the whole APN thing won't work for VZW either. The reason that doesn't work is because VZW blanked the tethered NAI programming in the CDMA radio. You need a program (QPST) to get onto the CDMA radio and fill in the tethered NAI info back in. Once done, then it'll work. And no, don't ask because I can't tell you how to do it... the mods will start to cry. The post has been made before on here and on bbf, but it was a while back.
    Using QPST, enabling tethering is quite easy. Got it working no problem. Now it dials up no VZacess, no Shark Modem. Speed test shows 581 kb/sec. A little google and I am sure you can figure it out to. Apparently we are not alloud to post the step by step, but if your a little savey no problem. Posting tethered right now.
    03-03-08 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD