I am attempting to hook up my 8830 to my Enterprise system thru work and the message is saying that the USB charging current is insufficient? I have never even heard of such an error but it is saying that there may be a different USB driver I can download that will power the connection better? Anyone have any news on this? Help!
    06-11-07 07:59 PM
    I had this the other day, and as odd as this sounds, it seemed to fix itself when I installed the new Desktop Manager. It doesn't make much sense to me even as I type it. I'm still using the same USB and everything.
    06-12-07 10:25 AM
    blundell, is right!
    06-12-07 10:34 AM
    I beat the smart kids! I beat the smart kids!
    06-12-07 11:10 AM
    I had this same error pop up the other day, but the BB icon was showing the plug icon and it appeared to be charging. I have not seen it since.
    06-12-07 02:41 PM
    had same problem but only before i installed desktop manager on my pc. since installing i've yet to repeat this error.
    06-12-07 11:39 PM
    This is a error you'll get when the driver for a USB device hasn't been installed before the device is plugged in to the USB port. Being the kind of guy who doesn't always read instructions, I have seen the message any time I plug in a device that also charges off the USB port but before I installed the correct driver. In this case the Desktop Manager provides the driver and must it must be installed before your BB is plugged in to the USB port.
    06-13-07 06:51 AM
    I am having the same issue. I have to use the corporate version of desktop manager. It worked fine with my 7130. I did a full back up but get the current message when I try to plug in the 8830. I unloaded the desktop manager and reloaded it but same message. I tried to discover the device and it says no handheld detected, Any other ideas. Thanks
    09-21-07 03:31 PM
    You using the correct data cable? I had gotten that message once when I used my Razr cable on my BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-07 05:37 PM
    You using the correct data cable? I had gotten that message once when I used my Razr cable on my BB.

Since day one of getting my 8830 I have used the both the USB cables and various chargers I already had that went with my Moto Q and my wife's Razr. Have not experienced any problems using the Moto stuff with my BB.
    09-21-07 06:22 PM
    I support a bunch of devices here at work and the 8830 is giving this error, even after uninstalling the usb mass storage device and installing the desktop manager.

RIM told me to do this and the problem went away for 5 minutes and came back. I bet they won't get back to me for a week.
    11-07-07 02:08 PM
    the desktop manager installs the USB driver for the BB devices, windows does a horrible job sometimes of locating this driver, thats why it often times gives you the error, usually disconnecting the device and plugging it back in will correct it, basically anything discussed here will fix it, but it's a windows issue, not a BB or BDM issue.
    11-07-07 02:17 PM
    I am getting this message periodically - not every time which is really annoying when it comes to tryng to fix it. But I am using a Mac so I do not use Desktop Manager. I use PocketMac which does not appear to have anything about USB drivers. Anyone have this problem with a Mac and come up with a solution?

Thanks

Katie
    11-07-07 05:25 PM
    does it often happen when your battery power is REALLY low?..most devices will not charge via USB if the power is too low, this happened on my RAZR as well when the power was next to none
    11-07-07 05:28 PM
    Sometimes I can plug into a charger and it works while other times it doesn't. Thing is it doesn't give me a message it just shows the icon in the upper right of the screen but doesn't charge. Wickedly weird!!
    11-08-07 11:26 AM
    I have had this same issue with my new 8830. I was under the impression it was charging as it did display the charging icon on the desktop but noticed after two days that charging on the USB port of my computer wasn't truly charging the battery (it had dropped from a charge of 3 bars to 1 bar when charged. No issues connecting to, sync'ing, etc but definitely isn't charging the battery. Plugging it into a standard AC charger overnight brought the battery back up to full charge so I know the battery is capable of being charged.. Running the most current version of the desktop app (4.3.0.15) so I don't believe that is the issue either.
    02-18-08 07:44 AM
    As from December 2007 RIM posted a new series of downloads. For people who have the charging issues, but do not run the latest Blackberry Desktop Manager, (or choose not to) and perhaps also for those that do, but still have a problem, go to Blackberry.com and download "BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers" it's a small 12MB download, (compared to something around 200MB for Desktop Manager v4.3 & Roxio!)

This software is found on BlackBerry > Blackberry Device & Desktop Software > Blackbery Desktop Software v4.3 > then select "Blackberry USB and modem drivers"
    Last edited by Berryman; 02-18-08 at 10:00 AM.
    02-18-08 09:51 AM
    BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers (English) (11.425 Mb)

Thanks! Works perfectly.

I have the Blackberry 4.3 installed on my work computer, and I prefer to keep my home computer as clean as possible.
    03-29-08 01:53 PM
    Forget where I saw it now, but there was another post explaining that by the standard, USB devices can only draw 100mA of current.

As others posted, Desktop Manager includes a special USB driver for the BB that enables 500mA of current draw which is what the device needs for charging. Just thought you might be interested in the reason why.
    03-29-08 03:48 PM
    Maybe this is why charging my BB8830 with a RAZR charger fried it twice (I am on my third).

I thought USB was supposed to be a standard- not requiring special drivers and more mA???

Forget where I saw it now, but there was another post explaining that by the standard, USB devices can only draw 100mA of current.

As others posted, Desktop Manager includes a special USB driver for the BB that enables 500mA of current draw which is what the device needs for charging. Just thought you might be interested in the reason why.
    04-15-08 07:53 PM
    Maybe this is why charging my BB8830 with a RAZR charger fried it twice (I am on my third).

I thought USB was supposed to be a standard- not requiring special drivers and more mA???
    Just because your RAZR charger has a mini-usb plug on it does not mean it complies with USB standards.
    04-15-08 10:41 PM
    I have been charging my BB8830 for 6 months with a RAZR charger.
    04-16-08 02:12 PM
    If u look at the official blackberry website and look for downloads you can download just the device drivers without downloading desktop manager. That should solve the problem. If you already have desktop manager installed, then the usb drivers should already be installed.

04-16-08 04:17 PM
    Oops.. Sorry for the repitive post.. Didn't see second page on WAP site

04-16-08 04:18 PM
    Blackberry Device & Desktop Software > Blackbery Desktop Software v4.3 > then select "Blackberry USB and modem drivers"[/QUOTE]

Good answer Berryman, you nailed it for me...

I did not want too install that mammoth program on my laptop, so I downloaded the "USB and Modem Driver" as you suggested. Works like a champ!

It took me a little to locate it though. First time on the site.

Here's step by step:

Under "Downloads"

"Blackberry Device Sotware and Blackberry Desktop Software"

"Download Blackberry Device and Desktop Software"

"BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.3"

click - "next"

scroll down too - "Blackberry USB and Modem Drivers
    File size: 12 MB
    04-21-08 12:44 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD