What is the difference bringing up a group vs a category in the address book? How do I get to a group I have started in the address book?
    05-13-08 07:53 PM
    I filter in outlook customers, venders, freinds, family as categories. I believe that a group can span categories, so that I could have a listing of one person from each cat.
    Last edited by Evalast AV; 05-13-08 at 08:02 PM.
    05-13-08 07:59 PM
    The groups you create are listed in Categories you create in the Filter folder.

To get to them, Address Book > Menu > Filter. When select a group, only they will show until you deselect it.
    05-13-08 08:02 PM
    ok. that makes sense. i was not able to pull up the group in the address book when i made a dummy group. how can you pull up the group?
    05-13-08 08:03 PM
    thanks for responding, but i made a group and can not pull it up showing the contacts i put in it.
    05-13-08 08:06 PM
    ok. that makes sense. i was not able to pull up the group in the address book when i made a dummy group. how can you pull up the group?
    05-13-08 08:06 PM
    Categories are a way of organizing contacts in Outlook. When you use the filter function in the Blackberry Address book, you are filtering by categories. At least for BES accounts. I have no experience with BIS.

I had never used Groups on the Blackberry until I read your message. And I've used Blackberrys for years. So the other answers may be better, but here's what I did...

I created a group by adding two names from the address book. Then I clicked save the group, and it prompted me to name it. I named it 'Bobs' because the two names I put in it were both Bob. When I saved it, 'Bobs' appeared in the address book in alphabetical order with the other entries. When I click on it, it shows the two names I put in it.

'Bobs' did NOT sync over to my Outlook Contacts list. It just stayed on the Blackberry.

Does that help?
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-13-08 at 08:08 PM. Reason: corrected typo
    05-13-08 08:08 PM
    Yes and No. I added two contacts from my address book and cannot see how they are separated. For example; I added a group name hospital-texas and hospital-illinois. I want to know how to open the hospital-texas group.
    05-13-08 08:24 PM
    Yes and No. I added two contacts from my address book and cannot see how they are separated. For example; I added a group name hospital-texas and hospital-illinois. I want to know how to open the hospital-texas group.
    I created a new group named hospital-texas. I put A's address in the group and saved the group. Then I created a new group called hospital-illinois. I put B's address in the group and saved the group.

Now when I look the address book, in the h's, I see hospital-illinois followed by hospital-texas. When I click on hospital-illinois, it opens and there is B. When I click on hospital-texas, it opens and there is A.

Is that not what you want? To open the group you just select it and click the trackball.
    05-13-08 08:35 PM
    Thanks Jeff. I see. The group name is listed as a contact. Sorry for being a little slow on getting it. Jeff, u r just berry technical. That is a good thing.

Thanks, again.
    Gina B
    05-13-08 08:43 PM
    You are very welcome. And you taught me something, too. I'd never paid any attention to groups until you asked your question. Thanks.
    05-13-08 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD