Ok the same questions keep getting asked regarding the unlocking, frequencies and compatibility of GSM and CDMA so I am going to make every effort to address all of the questions that keep getting asked in the forum. As more come to mind I will post more Q & A

Q.) Does the Verizon 8830 come unlocked like the sprint 8830?
    A.) No it does not but it can be unlocked. To get it unlocked you need to call customer service to get the unlock codes. For you to get the unlock codes you need to meet one of the following criteria:
    1.) Your contract must be up
    2.) You must have paid full price for the phone
    3.) If you did not pay full price for the phone, you must pay the difference between the full price and what you paid.
    OR
    4.) Be a customer in good standing (meaning bills paid on time) for at least 60 days

Q.) What is unlocking?
    A.) Unlocking is the process of disabling the “lock” providers that put on your phone so that it can only be used on their network. Once your phone is unlocked you can use any sim card on any GSM network that has the same frequencies as your handset.

Q.) Can a CDMA phone be unlocked to be used on another network?
    A.) No…No…and NO. Point blank NO so quit asking.

Q.) Are GSM and CDMA compatible?
    A.) No. They operate completely differently. If you need more info or a technical explination go here: Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (How CDMA works)
    GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (How GSM works)

Q.) Can I unlock the 8830 to be used on ATT (cingular) or T-Mobile?
    A.) NO. The 8830’s GSM operates in the 900 / 1800 Mhz band where as T-Mo and AT&T use 850 / 1900 in the united states. You can not do ANYTHING to make this work. If you want a 8800 series, buy the 8800 or 8820 which is GSM.

Q.) Will unlocking my 8830 make the GPS work?
    A.) No. Unlocking has nothing to do with the GPS

Q.) I am going on vacation / traveling but I am unsure what frequencies the other countries use, where can I go to find out if it’s a CDMA country or what frequencies they use?
    A.) To see if you can use CDMA roaming in another country check your providers roaming map for that country. To get the GSM frequencies and maps go here … GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

Q.) What does the new VZW software update do?
    A.) RIM has released new software for the BlackBerry 8830. This software includes updates or
    fixes for the following known issues:

• GSM to CDMA Reconnect
    • Call Collision
    • System Determination (GSM Mode)
    • Calendar Sync Issues
    • Ringer Volume
    • Added Stereo Bluetooth Support - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP
    Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets
    • Keypad Backlighting
    • CDMA Radio Fixes

Q.) Do I need to go through the unlocking procedure each time I want to use a third party SIM or is my phone now unlocked permanently and I can use whatever SIM card I want be it VZW or someone else when traveling abroad.
    A.) Once your phone is unlocked, its unlocked for good. You do not have to keep entering the code with every new sim. You are also free to use ANY sim from ANY provider in the world to use their network provided your phone can use their frequencies.

Q.) Do the SIM cards from third parties allow you to use the internet and get email as well as voice?
    A.) It depends on the service provider. Some do, some dont. you have to investigate that with whoever you get a sim card from.

Q.) I just got my Blackberry from Verizon a couple of months ago and I recently got a new job where they will be paying for my phone but the company uses Sprint. Is there a way that I can activate my Verizon phone on the Sprint Network?
    A.) No. Sprint never has and never will activate a non sprint phone on their network. On the flip side, Verizon use to allow non VZW phones on their network but no longer do either.
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 04-18-08 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added new info
    08-02-07 07:58 PM
    Looks like, BlondeBoyL has his first sticky!

BlondeBoyL, when tou have more to add, send me a PM, and we can add it to the original post, this keeping it all in one place...
    Last edited by anon(153966); 08-03-07 at 02:53 AM. Reason: ...just got an idea.
    08-03-07 02:51 AM
    I think you should add the info about the Seido audio adapter being needed to plug any kind of external speakers into the 8830. It's a very annoying problem that I only found the solution to on this forum. I wasted on three different 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapters trying to find the problem.
    08-03-07 03:44 PM
    I think you should add the info about the Seido audio adapter being needed to plug any kind of external speakers into the 8830. It's a very annoying problem that I only found the solution to on this forum. I wasted on three different 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapters trying to find the problem.
    E-mail me the q and a or send it to navilyn. He can edit the first post as well
    08-03-07 03:57 PM
    loading this on my BB now..thanks for the the info.
    08-03-07 06:11 PM
    well i would really like to thank you for the helpful information, just one thing to ask on the website from verizon which piece of software am i downloading, and after i do download the software does it automatically unlock the phone or is there a special procedure which i must follow ?
    08-04-07 11:11 AM
    if i am able to unlock the phone can i use with Sprint ?
    08-04-07 11:14 AM
    thanks for info on unlocking this phone, i just finished downloading the update put my t mobile sim card to verify if it was unlocked but i am still getting the same message. Do i have to do something to make the phone recognize the sim card, not for calling but to verify the phone is unlcoked like on the picture you posted ?
    08-04-07 12:12 PM
    hmm...looks like the software update might now be doing what its advertised to do. I will try and figure out whats going on.
    08-06-07 05:49 AM
    if i am able to unlock the phone can i use with Sprint ?
    No. VZW 8830 will only work on VZW network in the US. No way around it. Sprint and VZW use CDMA for their network, but phones are not interoperable. Sprint has its own 8830 anyway, why get VZW and go through the hassle?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-06-07 at 02:09 PM.
    08-06-07 02:05 PM
    Whats Up? You said there is a software update for the 8830, is this also for Sprint or just Verizon?
    08-14-07 07:57 PM
    Whats Up? You said there is a software update for the 8830, is this also for Sprint or just Verizon?
    Just verizon as of right now.
    08-14-07 09:03 PM
    Quick question.

Where exactly can i get the latest software to upgrade so that my ringer volume can be fixed?

I went to verizon website downloaded the one that stated 5/07 for desktop upgrade and the 8/07 for device upgrade. I installed that and still the volume is low.

I went to blackberry website but i already have the versions listed on their site. not sure if i'm looking at the right location. can you tell me or send me a link?

I own 8830 world edition with verizon.

Thanks,
    08-31-07 09:42 AM
    Quick question.

Where exactly can i get the latest software to upgrade so that my ringer volume can be fixed?

I went to verizon website downloaded the one that stated 5/07 for desktop upgrade and the 8/07 for device upgrade. I installed that and still the volume is low.

I went to blackberry website but i already have the versions listed on their site. not sure if i'm looking at the right location. can you tell me or send me a link?

I own 8830 world edition with verizon.

Thanks,
    Good question but I dont think there is a fix to this yet cause the software update didnt do it. If someone finds this let me know and I will add it to the FAQ
    08-31-07 10:47 AM
    Howdy - new to the site here. Where do I get the software update for the 8830? VZW or the RIM site?

Thanks
    08-31-07 10:22 PM
    Howdy - new to the site here. Where do I get the software update for the 8830? VZW or the RIM site?

Thanks
    BlackBerry™ 4.x Software Download
    09-01-07 05:29 AM
    New VzW OS ver. - any word on the memory leak problem?
    09-01-07 10:33 AM
    THIS FORUM IS AWSOME!

HOW DO I GET THIS AND WHERE?

A.) RIM has released new software for the BlackBerry 8830. This software includes updates or

� GSM to CDMA Reconnect
    � Call Collision
    � System Determination (GSM Mode)
    � Calendar Sync Issues
    � Ringer Volume
    � Added Stereo Bluetooth Support - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP
    � Keypad Backlighting
    � CDMA Radio Fixes
    09-05-07 02:33 PM
    THIS FORUM IS AWSOME!

HOW DO I GET THIS AND WHERE?

• GSM to CDMA Reconnect
    • Call Collision
    • System Determination (GSM Mode)
    • Calendar Sync Issues
    • Ringer Volume
    • Added Stereo Bluetooth Support - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP
    • Keypad Backlighting
    • CDMA Radio Fixes
    This upgrade does not fix the ringer volume problem. I've spoken with both RIM and VZW tech supervisors. They are both aware of this issue and it will be corrected in the next upgrade. In the mean time I downloaded "Audacity". It's a free program you can download here. I then turned up the ring tone up 15 decibals. That's the workaround until the next software upgrade is available.
    09-05-07 02:50 PM
    where can I go to get the update for the 8830?
    09-06-07 03:16 PM
    where can I go to get the update for the 8830?
    You can get the latest software for your 8830 here.
    09-07-07 02:02 PM
    Just to make sure I have the very latest.

The download from VZW is named:

8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel271_PL3.0.0.67_A4.2.2.148

So.. is that 4.2.2.148 or 4.2.2.271? I believe it's the former, but I wonder why they put the 4.2.2.rel271 in the file name?

Maybe simply an internal file naming convention.
    09-17-07 04:42 PM
    I am a new blackberry user.
    What is the best way to download tunes or music ti the 8830 from a labtop.
    Also, it Loud the highest setting volume for the ringer? I can barely hear it.
    09-26-07 12:16 PM
    You can go to vzam.net for the latest software...have fun!
    10-04-07 01:23 PM
    Hello, I'm new to blackberry and this site. Is this where I would go to ask questions? Also, is the reply option what I use or is there another method? Melissa
    10-11-07 07:02 AM
142 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD