Hi I just got a San Disk 2 GB SD card and put it in my Bberry and in the options menu it says "a media card is not inserted in the device"

Any ideas on what to do?

I also inserted it into a pc and it was not recognized, but the pc seized up for a while in a "not responding" mode.

What the heck?

I appreciate any ideas.

RBB
    06-08-07 09:32 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com!

Something tells me it's corrupt. Connect it to the pc again, and format it.
    06-08-07 09:51 PM
    Thanks Navilyn

I will try reformatting, but I havent done this since the days of 3.5 in disks. How do I do this?

Also, I took the 2 GB micro SD card back to Staples, they graciously opened up another one, I put it in, same problem. The Staples guy said that maybe the device couldnt handle 2 GB, so we tried a 512 MB. Still no luck. Each time I powered down the device and powered it back up. Am I missing something basic here?

RB
    06-09-07 11:55 AM
    did the Staples guy test the same card on another device to see if the card itself worked,
    also if your phone is new go to your manufacturer, you might have a defective card slot, and if thats the case i would believe they would replace your device.
    06-09-07 01:27 PM
    Good points Schizo. I guess I have to trudge into Verizon-land.

I was able tho to get the card recoginized by my PC and put some music files on it, plus videos. But still no luck when I place it in my 8830.

RB
    06-10-07 07:20 AM
    Did you make sure you have media card support enabled as well as mass storage mode support endabled?
    06-10-07 12:12 PM
    Yes both are proudly showing "on" and "enabled"! ... but doing nothing....
    06-10-07 01:30 PM
    Well, might be a hardware issue. I take it the card is in the right way? There is only one way it can go, but, have to ask...
    06-10-07 01:34 PM
    Yes, its inserted the right way.

I went to my BB Desktop Manager it gave instructions for formatting the card. At Media Card Troubleshooting, it says to go to OPtions, then Media Card, press menu key, and then click "Format Card"

But I press menu key within Media Card and there is no option for "format card"! Ak! I'm going nuts here! Do you have that on your 8830?

Thanks for alll the help.

RBB
    06-11-07 05:29 AM
    Take the card out of the device, insert it into the adapter you received with the card. Now, do you have a laptop, or media card reader? If yes, insert it there, and format it that way...

Now that you're done, connect it back to the device...
    06-11-07 06:49 AM
    Issue solved!

It was as simple as taking the stupid battery out and re-inserting it. I guess that was a "hard" powerdown. I had killed power many times before but must have been like "standby."
    06-11-07 09:53 AM
    Well, you learn something new everyday...
    06-11-07 10:50 AM
    sure do...in the short time i have here ive notices, battery pulls and os reloding fix 80% of bb issues...
    06-11-07 12:07 PM
    I am having similar problems.

when I insert it it says "A Media card has been inserted that is not formatted"

I click ok

it the says "media card inserted"

I go to options and media card and get the Message:

"Media card card cannot be read. verify that the memory card is formatted"

So I hit menu and format. I get the hour glass and the phone reboots and then the same happens again.

I tried taking out the battery. I am new to blackberry!!!

Please help!

BB
    06-11-07 03:52 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com

Take the card out of the device, and put in the adapter. Now connect it to a laptop or card reader. Format it that way...
    06-11-07 05:00 PM
    Someone else with a 2GB Sandisk test this out for me. Go to Media Card in Options and choose to format the card in the phone. When I do this on my BB it reboots about 3 secs into the format. Of course when it comes back up it states that the card is corrupt. Only way for me to format it was to do it on my laptop. Formats of 2GB Sandisk cards in the BB causes it to reboot and corrupt the cards. I've reported this to Verizon, but want to know if others can duplicate this for me as a test please. Thanks in advance.
    06-14-07 10:04 PM
    Issue solved!

It was as simple as taking the stupid battery out and re-inserting it. I guess that was a "hard" powerdown. I had killed power many times before but must have been like "standby."
    Well now...it's great you got the issue figured out...but frustration aside, especially when Google searches/several BlackBerry forums start by suggesting hard resets for most issues, dunno if I would've called the battery stupid...
    06-16-07 03:58 PM
    i just got the same issue with the sandisk 2gig memory card format. makes the BB restart and think i just inserted it again and that it's not formatted. battery pull made no difference. bad times =(
    07-12-07 11:59 AM
    I had the Same Problem. EASY FIX TAKE IT BACK AND GET ANOTHER ONE. I MADE THE RADIO SHACK GUY PUT IT IN FOR ME AND EVERYTHING HE VERIFIED IT DID WORK.....HEHEHE...People Iknow you might save by but SD CARDS online But Dont take the risks its only a few dollars difference if you buy them at a place that you know would replace it if its DEfective.....
    02-14-08 06:02 PM
    great thread..i had the EXACT same problem...
    just took the battery out and put it back in..and everything works great.
    very happy with my 4GB Card
    02-15-08 07:07 PM
    I've had the same problems with my 1G card. The only difference is that it only happens if I let the BB battery die. Does anyone the fix for this? I'm tired of loading and reloading my card, every time my BB runs out of juice.
    02-17-08 05:17 AM
    Is this sounding like Sandisk is not a good way to go? If so, what is a better manufacture to go with?
    02-17-08 12:01 PM
    Sandisk is one of the best if not thee best to go with besides transcend.
    09-12-08 12:04 AM
    Take the card out of the device, insert it into the adapter you received with the card. Now, do you have a laptop, or media card reader? If yes, insert it there, and format it that way...

Now that you're done, connect it back to the device...
    hello...what if the card is not showing up on my computer....for me to format it? I tried formatting it on my phone but i keep getting a message saying media format failed...ive plugged it into several computers and its not showing up?
    09-17-08 02:23 PM
    I am having a problem now, I did everything above and i'm trying to add music to my blackberry via media manager. I get really close, then when i'm adding files, it stops at the first download and says there isn't enough space on disk. I have looked at it, it says 1.88 GB free space, and i'm trying to add less than 1 GB of music. what am i doing wrong?
    02-28-09 10:10 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD