Hey,

I picked up an 8830 the day it came out, and immediately I was disappointed with the battery life.

With very little use, it will last just over 2 days. With regular use during the day (e-mails and phone calls), by the time i get home @ 7, i'm down to 25%!!! What's the deal?!

I make sure to close all the programs when i'm done with them, and often press alt+back to make sure that there are no extra programs running. I also have the screen brightness turned down to 10%! Why is my battery life so short?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

~Jesse

p.s. MODS: I wasn't sure whether i should put this here or in the 8830 section...feel free to move it if appropriate.
    Last edited by mgsm666; 06-07-07 at 09:03 AM.
    06-07-07 09:00 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com - I personall think it's a hardware issue, and you should take it back to get the battery, and device checked...

ps: post moved to correct location...
    06-07-07 09:41 AM
    ^^ problem is: I can't do without my phone for 2 days! And verizon, to replace a battery, wants to monitor the phone for at least 24 hours. And even then, i have my doubts as to whether or not they'll concede and offer me a replacement.

Any way around that?? Maybe i'll just threaten to return it and go with another carrier if they don't replace it...i'm still within my 30 days. ugh
    06-07-07 09:50 AM
    If you're within your 30 days, that's crap! Speak with a manager to get a replacement, immediately. Don't take no for an answer. And just for that, get the whole thing replaced, box and all...
    06-07-07 09:52 AM
    Just ordered and should get a Motorola P790, which is a very small, compact power supply ( about 1800MA) with a mini-connector that plugs into your Blackberry. You charge this device up at home and keep it with you as a spare power device.
    06-07-07 05:31 PM
    I'm also having this problem. I make sure I turn the programs off but my battery barely makes it through the day. I am a heavy user but this seems ridiculous considering all these super long battery life claims...
    06-15-07 05:38 AM
    Ms. Eloise, Welcome to CrackBerry.com

Have you tried the batter pull? Try it, use it a day or two, and see what gives...
    06-15-07 06:15 AM
    Any updates on this thread?
    06-16-07 01:53 PM
    I have had a Verizon 8830 for 2 weeks now and the battery life is absolutely awful, I use the phone alot, almost 1000 minutes in last 2 weeks. I have found myself tied to the USB cord numerous times to avoid losing calls. Generally I get an hour or maybe 2 before it hits the red zone..... not terribly handy..... Anyway just wanted to observe that its likely the way it is and not a particular device problem....
    06-16-07 02:28 PM
    I have the same problem I am charging my battery at least twice a day if not more. I guess i am a heavy user but its amazing how fast the battery drains on this thing and how long it takes to recharge it. And ive had this thing less then a week.
    06-17-07 06:57 PM
    I tried the battery pull and it works. I don't really understand why but my battery life is fine now. I charged it a day ago and i still have like 85% left. HUZZAH !
    06-20-07 05:28 AM
    Strange why this even happens, at the same time, most annoying. At least the battery pull worked...
    06-20-07 06:46 AM
    Another thing that seems to help is when the unit is in North America, to set the radio to 1XEVDO instead of Automatic.
    06-20-07 09:32 AM
    Umm, from a forum newbie here, what exactly is the "battery pull"?
    10-28-07 12:41 AM
    Umm, from a forum newbie here, what exactly is the "battery pull"?
    When you take the battery out of the phone.
    10-28-07 01:20 AM
    When you take the battery out of the phone.
    Is there a particular procedure to follow? Like, should the phone be on, should the battery be fully charged, does it matter how long you wait, etc.?
    10-31-07 07:18 AM
    Greetings,
    Phone should be OFF. The batt does not have to be fully charged, but should have sufficient strength to power the device. It doesn't take much Wait about 10 second before putting it back in. Your device will reset snd automatically power back on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-07 09:22 AM
    I've had the same problem with my Pearl. I'm on my FOURTH Pearl in the last 9 months. The battery life is ridiculous--with like 30 minutes of internet usage on the way to work (traffic conditions check) it already starts beeping b/c of low battery in 5 hours. Yes, the internet and all other programs are turned off after that half-hour, and I don't even use it while I'm in my office. The sales girl said this was normal (what phone loses power in 5 hours?). The reason it has been replaced twice is because it will power off and never recharge to turn back on. Anyone have any suggestions so this doesn't happen again?
    thanks.
    11-07-07 05:39 PM
    I have had my bb 8830 for 9 days. I charge it every day and today it would not power on. I decided to take it back to Alltel and let them deal with it. She popped the back off, took the battery out and put it back in and the phone powered right up. The girl told me that she had no idea why it happens but this is an issue with this phone. She said that pulling the battery out and reinstalling it seems to work. I don't get it but I'll see how it goes. I generally charge it with my laptop but I think I'll use the regular charger plugged into the wall outlet and see if it makes a difference. It shouldn't but who knows.
    11-11-07 03:46 PM
    I just recently have this issue two days ago. I had my BB 8830 for 4 months and only check my email and browse internet in the morning and turn off all internet running apps . I fully charged the phone last night to a full charge. The next morning I turned it on and battery status was full , checked email for 1 minute and left it on my office desk and when lunch time came at 12:00 p.m. the battery status indicator was low and I didn't even use it for more than checking my email. I will try the battery pull and see if it works.
    11-16-07 02:49 PM
    Very interesting. I have the 8830 and at first the battery life was great. Now it is super horrible but I am super convinced that its Jive Talk. Before I did the upgrade I could go 2 days without charging the battery. Last night I was on three bars when I went to sleep and when I woke up I was at one bar less than 12 hrs later. I am stuck carrying around my charger and I am forced to buy another battery. I am going to uninstall Jive Talk for a day or two and see if I notice a difference.
    11-16-07 03:49 PM
    I don't believe you need to uninstall Jivetalk to see if it makes a difference in battery life. I simply use the "force shutdown" option on Jivetalk.
    Last edited by organman; 03-09-08 at 10:16 PM.
    11-16-07 06:03 PM
    I got an 8830 in early Dec, and love it. The battery life was excellent for the first two weeks. However as soon I as used it roaming, the battery life was terrible. I charged it fully but after a 1/2 day the device was completely dead (black screen, removing the battery to reboot it did not work). Even after returning to my home area the device was dead. My IT group got a new battery for it and now it at least works, but with the 1/2 day battery life other posts have reported.

I am not sure roaming has anything to do with it or if this is a simple "infant mortality" problem with this model.

Another symptom, the new battery will not charge beyond 90% no longer how long I leave it.

Any others with this experience - worked fine at first but died after a few weeks?
    Last edited by CrackCanada; 01-06-08 at 07:57 PM.
    01-06-08 07:54 PM
    I read to train your battery by letting it run down and recharge it at least 3 times. It took 2 days to run the battery down, the first time. I recharged it and it now takes 13 hours to run down, something is not right here. I will run it down and charge it a couple more times, but the recycle plan sure doesn't look like it is working for me. 8830 only 4 days from alltel, so i can always get new battery.
    03-09-08 11:06 AM
    Just some thoughts here on lithium batteries and charging them.

My experience with lithium batteries have been that you MUST fully charge the battery before using it for the first time. The cell phone battery from the factory is never charged fully, just enough so the phone can be tested, checked and setup by the phone company. When you get a new battery/phone charge it overnight. Failing to do so will kill the battery. It will work for a few weeks or so then will start not holding good a charge. Don't believe the battery meter on the phone when it says the battery is fully charged when you pickup your new phone. It ain't.

If you do this the battery should last about 2 years. If you did do this and the battery is not performing well then the battery is defective or the charging circuit in the phone is bad or the person at the phone company left it on because they believed the battery meter.

I would not use the USB port on the computer to charge the phone. I'd plug an AC powered USB hub into the computer and plug the Blackberry into the USB hub. Those hubs typically can handle the current needs better than the one built into the computer (laptop). It depends on the laptop/desktop computer and the manufacturer though.
    03-09-08 12:26 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD