So I called Alltel the other day to get my phone set up to go over seas, they rep on the phone wanted me to take out the battery to check if it said w.e. or b.e something like that after where it says 8830. I told her no it didn't, and asked what did that matter anyway I just need to get the sim to go with it and have work in the next week. She Replied that my phone wasn't able to work over seas that blackberry wants capable of working over seas even if it has a spot for a sim card. she also said that they would swap my phone out with a new one that was ready for there sim card.

Anyone else get this garbage from them?
    04-13-09 04:33 PM
    Sounds like a crock , but a great opportunity to get a new phone(as long as it is free). Correct me if I'm wrong but all 8830's are WE.
    04-13-09 04:40 PM
    There is plenty of information on that located in the forums. To make a long story short, she is correct. You have to have the WE and not just the 8830 to work overseas. Go upgrade, for free, before they are end lifed.
    04-13-09 11:58 PM
    There is plenty of information on that located in the forums. To make a long story short, she is correct. You have to have the WE and not just the 8830 to work overseas. Go upgrade, for free, before they are end lifed.
    Then why was it sold to me as the world edition and says it on the case???
    04-14-09 10:42 AM
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Blackberry 8830 can't be used as GSM?

...since mine doesn't say Blackberry 8830 IR that it wouldn't work at all even with a sim card as a GSM...
    There is a model RIM8830IR. The original 8830 was only compatible with the TravlComm sim card. The IR version will work the a sim card now provided by alltel.
    There are two versions, the 8830 will roam outside the US/Canada via a seperate number/sim card purchased elsewhere. The 8830IR will roam internationally using your ALLTEL number via a special sim card provided only by Alltel and the roaming charges will appear on your Alltel bill. (one number, one bill, one voicemail)
    04-15-09 01:20 AM
    Quote:
    There are two versions, the 8830 will roam outside the US/Canada via a seperate number/sim card purchased elsewhere. The 8830IR will roam internationally using your ALLTEL number via a special sim card provided only by Alltel and the roaming charges will appear on your Alltel bill. (one number, one bill, one voicemail)

So if I have the first one that will roam outside of the US/Canada can I just pick up any sim card??
    If so I have put in an T mobile sim from the UK and I dont the get invalid sim message
    04-15-09 02:20 PM
    nevermind I got it all fixed now Thanks for you help
    04-15-09 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD