Come and get it; it's here!
    05-25-07 11:52 AM
    The problem with this Verizon page is that is does not accept my phone number as valid. I called Verizon customer non-support and they said my number is valid and I just need to set my phone up correctly. Then they said I needed to use my billing number. I tried that and that also does not work. Efforts to contact the back office for a resolution has failed and I have been promised a call back at some time.

I was further advised that the system administrator reports being behind in setting up accounts for the data side for downloads. So, I guess they sell the phones and worry about getting the users in the system whenever they get around to it and for the first week they don't bother to tell anyone so customers end up on the phone for hours and no one at tier 1 customer support has the knowledge to help.

I just thought Cingular customer non-service was bad!!
    05-25-07 02:12 PM
    I sure don't miss Verizon. That's just a small reminder of why I left them.
    05-25-07 02:33 PM
    dlathem - you've had some serious issues with Verizon. Time to port your number, no? I 'divorced' them back in 2000; what a pain they were...
    05-25-07 02:36 PM
    Well...I just ported over from Cingular. They were so horrible my BB 7290 barely worked and they are more interested in their new G3 network in the area than GSM anyway. At least with Verizon I am not having any problems with calls or data. I have not had a single dropped call in the 9 days I have been using them and the tethered service works like a charm.

I believe my biggest problem is the sales person started off by screwing up information on the account and the rest of the clowns don't know how to correct it. Each call to customer non-support involves at least an hour and transfers to three or more people.

Hopefully, once I get this sync problem corrected and the correct names on my account I will not have to call them again.

I still have 20 days to send this back to them in a box. My problem is the area I need the phone in Verizon and Cingular are the only games in town with the coverage. Cingular does not have EVDO and that gives the edge (pun intended) Verizon.
    05-25-07 03:50 PM
    What are these downloads correcting? (Stupid Question)
    05-26-07 09:41 AM
    In an effort to "fix" the calendar sync issue the RIM tech took me to the Verizon page that was apparently just put up. He thought that wiping my 8830 and reloading with the new BB software would take care of the sync problem. It did not.

Otherwise, I don't really know what is new in the new version of the BB device software.

I am still waiting to hear from RIM about what it will take to fix the sync issue. The RIM tech hinted that it would be yet another version of the BB device software. So I wait.

In the meantime I hope Verizon finds out why my phone number is not valid on their system so that I can actually download the new BB device software if and when it becomes available.

I have the new version of the software on my BB 8830 and I have not found any differences from the version that came on the device.
    05-26-07 10:08 AM
    Thanks. I guess I will just wait....or get the curve when it comes out before my trail period is over :-D
    05-26-07 10:12 AM
    Has anyone downloaded and installed this software onto their BB? I am curious what version it is. My BB 8830 came with version 4.2.2.66 loaded and according to the software features description, it sounds like I'm already at that version, but this may be a small bug fix version, and in that case it may be worth it to install.

Thank you
    05-26-07 04:05 PM
    This appears to be 4.2.2.66, which means you have the latest version on your BB.
    05-26-07 04:13 PM
    I was asked to wipe my 8830 on Friday and reload this version. I believe I already had this version on my 8830. The purpose was to attempt to fix the calendar sync issue with Blackberry Desktop Manager. It did not. So, hopefully RIM will release (soon) a updated OS to Verizon that will actually correct the problem.

I wonder...is there a Verizon 8830 user out there that DOES NOT have the Blackberry Desktop Manager sync issue with the calendar??

Thanks
    05-26-07 10:38 PM
    Hi dlathem,
    I have had no trouble syncing my BB 8830 at work with my outlook 2007 calendar. I also sync'd it at home with my contacts in Outlook 2007.
    05-26-07 10:52 PM
    Robm,

So you mean to tell us you can add a new calendar entry into your BB and when you sync up to outlook it will add it to outlook?
    05-27-07 03:07 AM
    dlathem, I had the same problem. Verizon said it was because I ported my number over. They actually have another number in their system that they set the account up with. Once they gave me that number, I was able to download. You just need someone good over at Verizon support.
    05-27-07 08:41 AM
    Hi trez09,

I haven't had a opportunity to sync from BB to Outlook. I have only sync'd from Outlook to BB. When I did just add a few new appointments to my BB this morning, so when I go to work on Tuesday, I'll do a sync and see if it works.
    05-27-07 09:04 AM
    Robm,

So you mean to tell us you can add a new calendar entry into your BB and when you sync up to outlook it will add it to outlook?
    It works with Outlook 2003.
    05-27-07 11:12 AM
    Exactly, makes things very easy! It will sync with Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003 & 2007. I've tested them all...

Also, even better if it's connect to your Corporate email (BlackBerry Enterprise Server - BES) it's even better everything sync's wirelessly. So, you add something (Calendar, Contact, Notes or Tasks) and it will sync wirelessly to your device or from your device if you've added it in the device...

Robm,

05-27-07 11:27 AM
    dlathem, I had the same problem. Verizon said it was because I ported my number over. They actually have another number in their system that they set the account up with. Once they gave me that number, I was able to download. You just need someone good over at Verizon support.

Yes, I also was given the MIN number to try and it did not work. Hopefully, they will figure it out.

In the meantime, I attempted to fix the windows error with BB Desktop Manager by deleting the Intellisync folder as is suggested in the RIM knowledge base. I re-started BB DM and had to configure my sync again, that was no problem.

This time when I performed a sync on the calendar the BB DM software again wanted to dump everything in the 8830 that is already in it. The difference now is that I have double entries on my Blackberry where I did not have before. Desktop Manager still DID NOT check the 8830 for any different appointments.

Now, I have to go through and delete all the blasted double appointments!
    05-27-07 02:04 PM
    I meant that how is it working for Robm but not for all the other people with device. Sorry back choice of wording. I have an email in with one of the verizon reps I have delt with in the past so we will see what they say.
    05-27-07 08:38 PM
    Robm and Sniperet:

Are you using BIS or BES for the sync? I believe the calendar sync problem is only with BIS. If you are having successful syncs with BIS that is big and different news!
    05-29-07 11:34 PM
    I tried to sync today at work, and I have the same result as everyone else is seeming to have with the calendar sync. I added appointment in my BB calendar, did a sync, and it did not appear on my outlook calendar. New appointments in my Outlook calendar did however appear in the BB calendar after the sync.

rgreenberg, I am using USB cable to sync.
    05-30-07 07:17 AM
    robm:

Are you getting duplicate calendar entries in the BB when you sync again? I could live temporarily with no sync of new appts from BB to computer (just go the old pen and paper route when I am away from computer!) but I get duplicates each time I resync. Am now up to 3 per appointment and am contemplating wiping all data and starting again if the duplication error can be solved.
    05-30-07 08:51 AM
    I just double checked, and no, I am not getting double entries on my BB calendar. I sync every morning after I get to work (USB cable) and so so far it has been working exactly as I would expect, with the exception of BB appointments not moving to Outlook.
    05-30-07 11:34 AM
    I wasn't getting any duplicates either. I just can't get appts scheduled on my BB into Outlook. They say there's a fix coming.
    05-30-07 12:15 PM
    Robm and Sniperet:

Are you using BIS or BES for the sync? I believe the calendar sync problem is only with BIS. If you are having successful syncs with BIS that is big and different news!
    I'm using BES.
    05-30-07 04:39 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD