I have an 8330 from sprint, so far I love it but I am a bit worried about the signal strength I get. It seems like if I move the phone just a few inches it will go from 4 bars to 2 bars and it usually sits at about 1-2 bars. I would not think it is a problem but my girlfriend is right next to me with a sanyo m1 and has full bars. Oh and this is my second curve my first one was replaced by sprint because it was not texting correctly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 10:28 AM
    Hello and welcome!

I'm not quite sure what your question is.
    08-07-08 10:30 AM
    Sorry I got side tracked in my post, I just wanted to know if other sprint users have the same type of signal (the bars jumping up and down) I was trying to figure out if I have a defective phone again

08-07-08 10:34 AM
    Sorry I got side tracked in my post, I just wanted to know if other sprint users have the same type of signal (the bars jumping up and down) I was trying to figure out if I have a defective phone again

Hi Mo- Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    Mine does the same. As long as you're able to make & recieve calls, you're doing fine. A phone doesnt need a bars to function properly. Now if you're running into problems with dropped calls or data, then get it replaced if you feel you have to.
    08-07-08 10:41 AM
    Well signal strength depends on where you live. I'm in a major metro city, so mine is pretty good. It does jump from 4 to 2 bars or 5 to 2 bars, but it's fine. Are you dropping a lot of calls?
    08-07-08 10:42 AM
    I'm not dropping calls often every now and then I am just worried because next week I go back to school and the dorms that I live in are big buildings and I figured if I have poor service now, then I will prolly have none in the dorms but it makes me feel better after reading the replys

08-07-08 10:52 AM
    I'm not dropping calls often every now and then I am just worried because next week I go back to school and the dorms that I live in are big buildings and I figured if I have poor service now, then I will prolly have none in the dorms but it makes me feel better after reading the replys

I dont know how long you've had your BB, but is it possible you can go to the dorms before school starts to see what kind of signal you get. I'm only offering this as a suggestion b/c it doesnt make sense to keep a phone that potentially wont work where you need it.
    08-07-08 11:00 AM
    One big secret about signal is that the bars dont matter. Since the signal is digital, 1 bar = 10 bars.

You will have the same call QUALITY in an area where there is 1 bar, 8 bars or 5 bars. The call QUALITY will be the same. The signal bars just show you how good your chances are of placing and holding a call.
    08-07-08 11:39 AM
    I beg to differ a little... usually 1 bar will be adequate unless:

The signal is on the ragged edge of 1 and slips off... like where I live... take a call, make a call.. and it drops often.

As far as quality, you can still experience packet loss or jitter that will make the call quality unacceptable. I do this stuff at work.

At home I had to get a device called an Airave, which goes on my home network acts as a local voice and data gateway.. now I have full strength at home and VoIP for my voice calls. Love it.. but of course it adds cost to my contract.
    08-07-08 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD