Can someone please tell me if it fixes the ringer volume problem? I doubt it does but I just wanted to double check
    Not that I can tell. Only thing thats new is random hang times when using the bb browser. The thinking icon appears over and over. Anyone have this happen?
    06-05-08 03:42 AM
    Can someone please tell me if it fixes the ringer volume problem? I doubt it does but I just wanted to double check
    Nope, it doesn't fix it... hopefully in the next version it will though...

Not that I can tell. Only thing thats new is random hang times when using the bb browser. The thinking icon appears over and over. Anyone have this happen?
    I haven't had that happen with this version yet... i know on the prior version i had that happen to me fairly often though... could you be low on memory possibly?
    06-05-08 04:58 AM
    I did notice in my Option> Advanced menu tonight though that I now have a line that says "Enterprise Activation"... anyone have any idea as to what that's for? I'm going to assume BES?
    06-05-08 05:06 AM
    I did notice in my Option> Advanced menu tonight though that I now have a line that says "Enterprise Activation"... anyone have any idea as to what that's for? I'm going to assume BES?
    Correct, that's for use with BES.
    06-05-08 11:12 AM
    F2, Stoners thread is the way to go. Alot easier to understand, and helps you achieve what you are trying to do: Free up memory...
    06-05-08 04:36 PM
    I just walked through the ver .196 upgrade process (downloaded from verizon's site). I received the following error on my PC:

Warnings were encountered during the loading process: The following database(s) could not be fully restored to your device: NotifyDeviceManagementDatabase 0 of 1 entries restored. The backup data file has been saved to "C:\My Documents\LoaderBackup-(2008-06-05).ipd".

Everything seems to be working (email, calendar, contacts, all applications) except my Browser. In fact, the Browser Icon no longer appears on my home screen and certain web links (CNN.com, NYT.com) no longer respond.

On my device, I am receiving the following error message:

Uncaught Exception: ApplicationRegistry.waitfor (0x3bc62...lots of other numbers and letters)timeout.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Last edited by BGarcia; 06-05-08 at 07:29 PM.
    06-05-08 07:24 PM
    Does anyone have this update stored in another location...i'm not a Verizon customer so, I don't have a number??
    06-05-08 08:04 PM
    got options/mobile network hit the berry key and select diagnostics. it will go to another screen and then you hit the berry key again and select run diagnostics. that will restore your browser icon. you might have to do it more than once.
    06-06-08 11:41 AM
    got options/mobile network hit the berry key and select diagnostics. it will go to another screen and then you hit the berry key again and select run diagnostics. that will restore your browser icon. you might have to do it more than once.
    Thanks Caprio -- I tried this with no luck. Spent 2 hrs on the phone w/ Verizon today with no luck. We tried everything. Conclusion: they have no idea how to fix my problem and have overnighted me a new device. Thanks for taking the time to reply...I appreciate it.
    06-06-08 04:00 PM
    I downloaded and installed the update from Verizon last night. Everything installed without error, and all the applications seem to be running fine. But I lost the little red asterisk on the small envelope that tells me I have new email. The red asterisk on the larger "Messages" application icon still works, but before the update I also got the same asterisk alert on the little envelope icon at the top of the screen (on my Theme) that also tells you the number of unread emails.

If the BB is in keyboard lock with only the Owner Information showing, the small envelope icon is how I check at a quick glance for any new email. Any thoughts on how to bring that function back? Thanks.
    06-08-08 09:56 PM
    I downloaded and installed the update from Verizon last night. Everything installed without error, and all the applications seem to be running fine. But I lost the little red asterisk on the small envelope that tells me I have new email. The red asterisk on the larger "Messages" application icon still works, but before the update I also got the same asterisk alert on the little envelope icon at the top of the screen (on my Theme) that also tells you the number of unread emails.

If the BB is in keyboard lock with only the Owner Information showing, the small envelope icon is how I check at a quick glance for any new email. Any thoughts on how to bring that function back? Thanks.
    In Messages/Options/General Options, do you have?
    Display Message Count: Unread
    Display New Message Indicator: Yes

That did not get reset when I upgraded to 4.2.2.196, but it's the only thing I can think of. Another thing, I assume you did not change themes? How new mail is indicated may well be theme controlled. I only have one theme installed, and so can't check to be sure.
    06-08-08 10:20 PM
    I did the upgrade and everything seems to be working correctly.
    06-09-08 08:27 AM
    In Messages/Options/General Options, do you have?
    Display Message Count: Unread
    Display New Message Indicator: Yes

That did not get reset when I upgraded to 4.2.2.196, but it's the only thing I can think of. Another thing, I assume you did not change themes? How new mail is indicated may well be theme controlled. I only have one theme installed, and so can't check to be sure.
    Thanks for the reply. Just to give you a quick update, when I turned on my BB this morning, lo and behold, everything was working! All day yesterday I could not get the red asterisk to show up on the small envelope icon; but today it is working fine.

Now I am wondering what changed or got reset. The options were all set as you described in your reply and I did not change themes. At least it's working, so now I guess I will leave it alone.

Thanks again.
    06-09-08 01:45 PM
    If you are on a BES account, that means the enterprise detected your changes and pushed something back that re-enabled your message indicator. I had a similar issue. My owner information (controlled by IT policy) reset and I couldn't change it. Overnight, the enterprise pushed it back. The next morning it was back to normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 01:49 PM
    On the chance that it might help someone else, here's my upgrade experience this week. I did the 4.2.2.196 upgrade Monday night with no apparent problems. Desktop Manager backed everything up, did the upgrade and then restored everything. The next morning I contacted my BES administrator to re-activate my email which also went well. However, I noticed that some of my email messages (both inbox and sent messages) were in duplicate. When I tried to delete them there were instances where a message simply wouldn't delete. After a lot of searching I discovered that during the whole process my message list index became corrupt. As a result, the operating system of the device couldn't reference the message ID and delete the message from the list. It turns out the fix for this was easy which may be described somewhere within forums here ...not sure. I connected my BB back to my personal computer, opened BlackBerry Desktop Manager and selected Backup and Restore. Then under "advanced" I just backed up all my messages. After the backup was complete I carefully selected the messages on my BB (rt hand screen) and deleted them. Then I restored them to the BB from the backup. Problem fixed. Now I was able to delete messages with no problem.
    06-10-08 04:26 PM
    If you are on a BES account, that means the enterprise detected your changes and pushed something back that re-enabled your message indicator. I had a similar issue. My owner information (controlled by IT policy) reset and I couldn't change it. Overnight, the enterprise pushed it back. The next morning it was back to normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Boy did I speak too soon! I thought everything was fixed, but yesterday afternoon the red asterisk on the small envelope quit working again. Today, it worked fine when I turned on the BB, but has started and stopped working twice so far during the day. (Right this minute I have an asterisk, but an hour ago I did not - even though I had a number of new and unread messages.)

My BB does sync via BES which runs on a server here in our office and monitors our Exchange server. Is there something I can look at on the BES software that might be controlling (or not controlling) the message indicators?

Thanks again for all the responses.
    06-11-08 11:38 AM
    As I said earlier, this may be theme-dependent. I'm using BBDimension Zen. I get a star on the small env when I get new messages, but opening any new message will turn off the star, even if I still have new messages in the folder. Then I only have a new message number, not a star. The star comes back when I get another new message.

Does this explain what you are seeing?
    06-11-08 11:50 AM
    As I said earlier, this may be theme-dependent. I'm using BBDimension Zen. I get a star on the small env when I get new messages, but opening any new message will turn off the star, even if I still have new messages in the folder. Then I only have a new message number, not a star. The star comes back when I get another new message.

Does this explain what you are seeing?
    I am curretnly running the BB Dimension Icon Theme, but I didn't change themes when I upgraded to the .196 software.

What you describe is how it used to work. Now, sometimes, I get a star on the Messages icon, but don't get a star on the small envelope that shows the number of unread messages. But then sometimes I do get the star. Again, the standard behavior that I was used to seeing was what you described - a star that was displayed until you went in to read messages. The star was then off until another message came in. That behavior seems to happen only intermittently now, and I don't know what caused the change.

Thanks as always for any more thoughts.
    06-16-08 04:36 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD