Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Do you need a Data plan?

I am new to BlackBerries and am awaiting my 8830(it should be here tomorrow). I currently use a Samsung i730 and I am able to stop my phone from connecting to the internet. I was just wondering, if I have no need for email push or no need for web browsing is there anyway I can turn off the way my bb connects to the internet or is it an always on device and I need the data plan?

I just hope I didn't sound to confusing.

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The only thing I am confused about is why you would want this device if you don't want email or internet connectivity?
    BB 8830
    RIP BB 7290
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I like having the pda functions(task, notes, calendar, etc) which are much better in these phones than in a regular cell phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin Point Accuracy

If you don't get a data plan, then it's just the same as having a regular mobile...

But, like dlathem said, what's the point? Rhetorical, of course...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Talking Lot to do without a data plan

If you do not plan on using the internet you just don't get a data plan. By the way, I could not read books on my cell phone. I can on my BB without a data connection. I could not type a Word document. I can on my BB without a data connection. I did not have as good a choice of backgrounds for my cell phone, but now I can use anything that I can put in my pictures folder on my computer, including Webshots pictures. A Blackberry is great for those us that were using a cell phone and a pda. There's also a better choice of games and software than you get with a phone and a much better battery life.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Talking Lot to do without data plan

By the way I forgot to mention that with the 2 gig micro sd you can store tons of songs and pictures and anything else I could ever think of.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Hey tenafhum,
    What did you figure out with disabling the Internet connection?
    I want to use a BB for the same reason you do. (I like my old Sony P900, but I cannot use it on Verizon)

I am about to purchase an 8830. Verizon (at Circuit City) is trying to tell me that even if I do not buy a data plan, that if someone opens the browser and trys to connect, it will, and start an account that I will see charged by the minute on my next bill. I called another Verizon rep, and they said the same thing.
    So what is the truth?

Can the browser or the internet connection be 'disabled'?

Thx for anyone willing to answer more NEWBIE questions!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    2571757c

Jus cos you have a BB doesn't mean you have to have a BB plan. I remember my first BB - it took me a little while to appreciate what I had and therefore to some there maybe little need to receive email to some. Another BB user is another user.

Atleast Welcome.

My final point. A BB is not just another cell

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

I went to the Verizon store today and spoke with the technical support lady in the back about upgrading my old phone to a Blackberry while still keeping my family plan. She told me that in order to upgrade, I would need to purchase a data plan on top of that. I spoke to TWO online reps before I came to the store and they told me that I had the OPTION NOT to have a data plan, although both of them suggested that I get one. I don't need a data plan because 1) it's expensive. 2) I don't need it. The lady at the store wouldn't upgrade my phone unless I got a data plan. I'm so confused. And I can't upgrade the phone online for some reason because it didn't work. I don't know what to do.. at all.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Newbie question here.....I'm an old ATT "pioneer" plan, yup the unlimited minutes plan for only $100 a month....but when trying to to put my sim card into a new 8300 the sales rep said that I would not be able to do any internet or email functions because it (my att sim) uses mmode technology and not WAP!!! Wap da f!@#$ !!!! Now I'm confused, coz he said i need to buy a new phone out right and start a new plan in order to use the email/internet functions...is this true, please help clear this confusion with the ATT mmode sim...what's my alternative? Am I getting hosed by this dealership? I looked at Amazon and I tried to get the phone for $49 but I could not qualify because I am from the old ATT??? HELP
    CrackBerry Newbie

Please let me know what happened with this, as I am currently trying to purchase an 8830 for the exact same reasons you are. the rep at the verizon store wouldnt let me buy it without the data plan, however online thy told me it isnt NECCESARY however she also highly recomended it. I am also confused. Dumb online reps? or shady salesmen who want commission? HELPP!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2422F713

i say give the data plan a try and see how you like it. it really comes in handy sometimes.
    My new BB Pin: 2422F713
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am sure that is the case. Along with many other people and the verizon reps, however my point is to find out if i can have the phone without a data plan, but I kinda sorta appreciate your opinion I guess? Ide say i would probably enjoy the data plan tons but its too expensive and I reallt dont need it. Anyone???
    CrackBerry Newbie

Just wanted to let you know that u lose alot of the features without the data. Before I got the data the browser icon wouldnt even show up. And the picture messaging also didnt work because mms needs data to be pushed out. I think if u put the data on and gave it a try i think u will use it more then you think. Thats what the Blackberry's are all about.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

I guess what a lot of us are asking is..... Why do you want a Blackberry? What tasks are you looking for your phone to provide? There are lots of other PDA type phones out there that will offer you similar functionality right out of the box.

A lot of the functions of a Blackberry are sent to the device directly from the phone company in something called "service books". If you do not have the Blackberry data plan, you will not get these service books. Thus not all the functions will be available to you. Will it still work as a phone without a data plan? Yes. That's why the on-line reps are telling you that you don't HAVE to have a data plan. However, a portion of the phone functionality will not be available to you since those features are loaded via the service books which are downloaded only with the Blackberry specific data plan.

The bottom line is the power of the Blackberry comes from the associated data plan.

For a phone that has PDA type functionality without being forced to use data, you can look to a number of phones from Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Palm & Sony. They will all take advantage of a data plan. However, the basic PDA functionality will still be there if you don't sign up for a data plan. If you are a Windows user, you may feel more comfortable with the features of a phone running Windows Mobile 5 or 6 in either a Pocket PC format or a SmartPhone format. If you want to stay on Verizon, then look at the Motorola Q or one of the Palm Treo windows versions. Both of these will synch up to your Outlook environment for contacts, calendars, notes etc.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,509 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgabertan View Post
    Newbie question here.....I'm an old ATT "pioneer" plan, yup the unlimited minutes plan for only $100 a month....but when trying to to put my sim card into a new 8300 the sales rep said that I would not be able to do any internet or email functions because it (my att sim) uses mmode technology and not WAP!!! Wap da f!@#$ !!!! Now I'm confused, coz he said i need to buy a new phone out right and start a new plan in order to use the email/internet functions...is this true, please help clear this confusion with the ATT mmode sim...what's my alternative? Am I getting hosed by this dealership? I looked at Amazon and I tried to get the phone for $49 but I could not qualify because I am from the old ATT??? HELP
    Your situation is full of half truths, first rep was right, your services (mmode) will not work for email or MMS as you do not have a blackberry data plan assoc to your accnt, all "old" AT&T customers are required to upgrade their plan if they wish to upgrade their device, hence your $99.99 charter plan will disappear, your only hope, is to buy a BB of ebay, and pray that you get a dumb rep, your old SIM card will still work, but the trick is to get a BB Data Plan assoc to your account, if you cant do this, your screwed you will need to dump the $99.99 charter plan, if you go the ebay route, call AT&T and cross your fingers that you get a dumb rep that will add on a BB Data Plan for you....try not to mention where you got your phone/what type it is other then a BB and try to make it a quick procedure, but be nice about it, don't be all like " I got to get back to work" or anything like that, just be percise and to the point on what you want to have added..the thing with AT&T is that they maintain so many accounts that are seperated in one way or another..ie market, type, new AT&T, Old Blue, Old Cingular, New Cingular..Divested Accounts etc..etc..it's easy to trip up a new/dumb rep lol.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 10-24-2007 at 05:11 PM.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    CrackBerry User

Even though I am crackberry newbie, as far as the data plan goes, let the rep via store or via online put data plan on your phone initally, then simply call back in, same day even and simply cancel plan. It sounds to simple to be true, but that is how I was told to do it, and bottom line, it works. Hope this helps...
    CrackBerry Newbie

for at&t you do not have to get a data plan in order to buy the phone. If you dont get the data plan you will just not get your rebate back. You dont have to try and trick the reps. And if you do happen to purchase the phone on ebay or anything like that you can just call in to customer service or go into your local store and put on the data plan if you decided to do so.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I just recently upgraded to a 8300 (refurb) for only $29.99. I am debating on weather I should add on a data plan. I understand many people ask why you upgrade to a BB and get no plan. I really enjoy texting with the full QWERTY keyboard. I had a samsung sync a couple months ago and fell in love with it. I a m currently using a razor and cannot stand texting on it.

So many all I need is the texting. I mean sure, email would be pretty awesome too.

The main reason why I wanted to post here is I'm wondering if I am on a family plan will our unlimited texting plan be able to be used on my BB?

I am on ATT by the way.

- Chris
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

here the deal if you get a blackberry and dont get the data plan and some times this is what iv been told people will try to hook up to there Email when this happens then your coneted to blackberry and there no data plan wich will end up costing you per MB so if you get it dont go to the email setup caus it will cost you a ton more with out the plan in some cases cost as much as putting the plan on there phone for a year so be carfull
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dgabertan View Post

I am also an old AT&T Founder Plan user and have a "blue SIM card" which is not capable of a new data plan. I too don't want to lose my unlimited "Minutes Without Limits" $99/month plan. I understand that I must purchased a 8310 unlocked phone in order to continue using my existing plan.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,509 Global Posts

Even if you buy an unlocked one it still won't work, you'll still be required to change your plan in order to get the BB plan on there, unless of course you already had a BB data plan assoc. to the services...will only work if you ALREADY have a BB data plan, and purchase an unlocked device...they no longer offer the BB data plans on "Blue" accounts any more, unless of course...you find a dumb rep that doesn't know any better an adds it on for you, which probably wont happen cause the old "blue" customers are dropping off by the minute...technically, anyone who was on the "charter plans" should have already been of off them, it was only a promotion for 2 yrs, AT&T did you a favor by allowing you too keep it this long, it was well within their right to strip you of it after the initial 2 years was up.

Everyone else in this thread is not understanding that you have old plans, thats why your seeing things like "let the rep add it, then cancel"...sure...you can do that...if you WANT to be booted off of your old plans, but when it comes down to it, the times of being able to pull trickery on the reps is coming to an end, as previously stated their are not that many "old AT&T" or "Blue" accounts left.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-29-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    CrackBerry Newbie

I also bought the 8800 and did not want a data plan. The internet on these little screens sucks, and I'm always next to a real computer anyway.

I've spent hours trying to figure out how to view documents (PDF, MS Word, etc), I transfer them onto the BB from my computer with the same software I transfer music and photos. But the documents don't show up on my BB (although the memory has been used as if the documents were there). My friends view PDF files by clicking them when they are attached as emails. I'm starting to think I can't view these files without a data plan, which is really dumb. Why on earth would I want to email a document to myself?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Heyho,

well I believe you should seperate "data plan" on BB in two parts.

First is to use BB BIS push and second is normal WAP/GPRS/EDGE functionality.

The posters before are absolutley correct that, to get full functionality of your BB, you need the BB data plan.
    Only this will make your phone able to receive mails in default inbox e.g.

Anyway a BB without BB data plan isn't fully unuseable for internet. Thats def. untrue.
    You still are able to enter correct APN informations for WAP or GPRS to your BB and can use the browser as casual.
    Mails will just working via online login, not via push. Thats the only thing i have.

I took the same gissue while buying a 8000CS locked for T-Mobile Germany.
    They did not allow me to unlock it for all providers.

Just updated F/W, enter correct APN in advanced options->TCP and use my data flat.

But, of course, it's not the same as have a push function or a Entp. Server in use with it.

Rgds
    CrackBerry Newbie

The online verizon store says I must have a data plan. Yet I heard that you don't need one from other sources. I guess I'll have to go to the store and just get the truth. You either give me the phone WITHOUT a data plan or I switch to ATT or Tmobile.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast