I had hoped imitate a friend of mine and purchase a Blackberry 8703e from eBay and test-drive it without a data plan (that is, just using it for phone and texting only.) Sprint insists that Blackberrys can only be activated with the addition of a data plan. Is there any way to make my original idea work--a bigger screen-qwerty-keyboard phone without the extra bells and whistles for a while? Perhaps this defeats the whole purpose of using one, but I had hoped to window-shop a bit before committing to a full-blown data plan and save a little money...
    Phil
    05-28-09 08:03 PM
    I don't believe there are any carriers which will allow you to activate a BB without at least subscribing to the minimum data plan.

As for test driving a BB without one, there really wouldn't be a point, IMO. A BB without data is like a nice car with a two stroke engine. Looks great, but is really useless for what it has been designed for.
    05-28-09 08:13 PM
    Sprint, like VZW too, require data plans to register a BB on their network. There is no escaping this requirement.

I don't believe there are any carriers which will allow you to activate a BB without at least subscribing to the minimum data plan.

As for test driving a BB without one, there really wouldn't be a point, IMO. A BB without data is like a nice car with a two stroke engine. Looks great, but is really useless for what it has been designed for.
    I think AT&T and T-Mobile (policy soon to change though) allow a BlackBerry without a data plan on their network. No idea on Canadian carriers...
    05-28-09 09:42 PM
    Im currently using a 8700c on AT&T's Go Phone prepaid service for unlimited text only but i doubt you'll be able to get away with sprint or Verizon since they seem to be a lot stricter with their network
    05-28-09 11:15 PM
    on older plans, you can do add a bb device without adding a data plan-definitely naive, but possible. if you incur data charges, they will stick. i know when i change a phone to a smart phone and the customer declines the data, i note the account that customer declined and was educated on the casual data charges. good luck with whatever you decide.
    05-29-09 12:00 AM
    on older plans, you can do add a bb device without adding a data plan-definitely naive, but possible. if you incur data charges, they will stick. i know when i change a phone to a smart phone and the customer declines the data, i note the account that customer declined and was educated on the casual data charges. good luck with whatever you decide.
    Well, a smart phone like a Palm or Windows Mobile often have different policies than the BlackBerry. What carrier allows you to currently sign-up for "older plans" as you put it? Isn't the reason why we call them older plans, is because they aren't offered anymore.
    05-29-09 07:39 AM
    Well, I've been using my 8700g without data plan for some time, and the BB does stand up for it easily. It's is a good phone and perfect for impulsive texters.

But, to be honest, after activating the data plan the BlackBerry experience is really awesome and gets you to finally get to Crackberry Rehab and tell us your story of addiction. It turns the BB into the best of the smartphones, really.

Best luck,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 06:17 PM
    I want just to say that I agree with reset.reboot, it's'quite different when you use a dataplan, you have much more possibilities, may be you do not really need them althout you can just try for some weeks and you will see!.

06-04-09 04:18 PM
    You are better off with an iPhone, without a data plan, because most of its features do not require it to be connected at all times.

As for the BB, most of its features do, and like most said, activating the data plan will bring on the addiction, no matter what model of BB you have. Without the data plan, I do not see the point, as the phone would not be able to do anything but call and text. Since you are mentioning the 8703e, the option for a MicroSD card for music etc are out the door as well.
    06-05-09 08:57 AM

TMO allows customers to activate a BB without a data plan fyi.

I had hoped imitate a friend of mine and purchase a Blackberry 8703e from eBay and test-drive it without a data plan (that is, just using it for phone and texting only.) Sprint insists that Blackberrys can only be activated with the addition of a data plan. Is there any way to make my original idea work--a bigger screen-qwerty-keyboard phone without the extra bells and whistles for a while? Perhaps this defeats the whole purpose of using one, but I had hoped to window-shop a bit before committing to a full-blown data plan and save a little money...
    Phil
    I don't believe there's a way that you'd be able to use a BB w/o a data plan on Sprint. It'd be nice if you could because I can understand why people would want a BB.

For example... a teenager wants a full QWERTY on a solid device for messaging. They also want all the media capabilities in a nice form factor.

Since BB's are always searching for RIM's servers, that's why a data plan is neccessary. (At least on the CDMA, not sure about GSM).
    06-05-09 10:26 AM
    Since BB's are always searching for RIM's servers, that's why a data plan is neccessary. (At least on the CDMA, not sure about GSM).
    If you still wish to use your BB as a super-duper texting and phone device, an no plans on using data and browsing, you can tell your BB to not look for the RIM servers so no extra fees for data (that's what I did while I didn't have the data plan). So, you don't need to activate the BB for using it. Just cram in the sim, deactivate the data service and off you go.
    06-07-09 08:00 AM
    i've been reading this whole thread and woundering if i am the only person who uses opera mini on my bb without a data plan...........?
    i use an att go phone sim, put about $35 on it, purchase 100mb for 19.99 for the month(which normally lasts about 3-4month using opera mini), then the following month just add 1mb for 4.99, just to role my unused mb's over......
    sure you cant do ota downloads, but you can still serf pretty fast, email, facebook, you name it............
    07-02-09 04:55 PM
    Its just abit weird when you have bb but u don't have data plan comes with it.

Imagine having a BMW but only fill in ten dollars of gas each month ?

07-11-09 10:21 AM
    Dude,if you are not gonna perform anythin but talk an txt then why bother With the expence.jus buy a Samsung or somethig for a �10.

07-11-09 10:36 AM
    A normal motorola Razr also my help for those normal phone functions.

07-14-09 10:14 AM
    I got a used 8300 recently. I just popped the SIM card in there from the free phone I got through AT&T and it works fine with no data plan. I should say that I'm planning on adding a data plan.. but for right now it works fine.
    07-14-09 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD