I got a used Blackberry from a friend who works at AT&T. I wiped all the data and installed the latest OS. I thought everything was purged, but when It got to the desktop it asked for a password. I entered a 4 digit password, it asked me to re-enter it and I was logged in. Did the initial setup and loaded my contacts from my SIM. When my BB goes to sleep, I have to enter the password each time. I don't like doing that, so I thought I would just disable the password,but it won't let me. I noticed that a red astric is next to that option. The real problem is when I connect it to my PC so I can download ringtones and wallpaper to my BB. When I run the Desktop Manager it asks for a device password. I enter my password, but it won't take and I can't connect. What is going on? Is there something being left over in the data storage from the previous owner? I thought I wiped it all clean. Followed directions on the homepage article here, and also did a wipe from the OS. Each time I would reload the OS, go throught the password problem and I can't connect my BB to my PC. Is there a different procedure to wiping this thing clean? I can live with putting in a password each time I need to use my BB, but not being able to link it to my PC is NOT good. Could someone point me in the right direction?
    12-29-07 10:13 PM
    There is IT policy on the device. Follow the instructions here.
    12-29-07 10:18 PM
    Thanks, Mr. Clark, That's exactly what I needed. Got my 8700c running with the good stuff now. Thanks for the tip. This is my first PDA/Smartphone. I love this BlackBerry!

Robert
    12-30-07 01:52 AM
    Now make sure you remove that policy.bin from where you placed it on the PC. Otherwise if you plug in another BB (with no policy) the blank policy will be placed on that BB, as well.
    12-30-07 01:58 AM
    My son will also be getting a used BB from the same friend later next week. Shouldn't I leave the policy.bin file just in case there is a IT policy issue on his? This computer is my desktop, he has his own desktop and a laptop, so he will probably load desktop manager on his computer too.

Robert
    Last edited by dr_roberts; 12-30-07 at 10:49 AM.
    12-30-07 03:09 AM
    You could do that. You just don't want to add a policy where none exists.
    12-30-07 06:13 PM
    I guess I should also edit out the command line in the registry.

Robert
    12-30-07 07:54 PM
    i did remove the IT policy but there is a still red lock icon next to firewall (enabled). does it matter? or does it mean that IT policy's firewall is still working on the device ? because i can not use my browser
    05-06-09 08:43 AM
    What OS version do you have? options/about its the third line down. Also what version of that tutorial did you try?
    05-06-09 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD