I have the 8703e and the past two days i recently get a wierd icon on my blackberry near my messages icon by the time and date. It seems like a message icon of some sort but it only shows up when i have the keyboard locked. It started with a number 1 next to it but now its all the way up to number 4 and it vibrates when it goes up but the phone says nothing. Is there somewhere that i can find and see a list of the notification icons to see what this is? Its a blue white and gray square. Thanks a bunch. Its driving me nuts to not know what it is.
    09-22-07 02:53 AM
    I have an 8700g and have exactly the same problem. It started a few weeks ago, about the same time as the BB glich. So far, no one has been able to help with this. Keep the faith though ... lots of experienced people here
    09-22-07 10:32 PM
    What does the icon look like? Also, have you tried a battery pull?

Lastly, did you download ringtones, etc? If yes, go to messages / menu / view folders / wap messages, anything in there?
    09-22-07 11:26 PM
    I figured it out, at least for me. Under "Advanced Options" > TCP" there is something called "APN" I had put an address in the "APN" to accomodate a program I had uploaded (which I had since deleted). Today I was attempting to access my Yahoo Messenger and couldn't. I went through all my settings and found the web address still on the "APN" line. I deleted this address ... and the icon with the numbers next to it disappeared. I was able to access my Yahoo Messenger as well.

I'm not certain what "TCP" or "APN" stand for or do, but erasing this address from the APN line (it was empty before I added the address for the program I was using) did the trick. Worth a try for you!
    09-24-07 10:52 AM
    Hello, been lurking a bit. But this caught my fancy today and figured out the blue/white icon....its a message in Facebook. If you look closely to the white part it looks like the 'F' in facebook. I went in there and found I did have messages. After I read them the icon disappeared.

Hope this helps
    03-25-08 04:04 PM
    Hi folks,
    I am still having the pesky white/light greay box it is too the left top of the screen. Direclty below the 1XEV code. It did say 1 then 3 and now 4. I have never been on facebook and having nothing in the advanced setting APN setting, it is just blank.
    The icon ONLY shows when the BB is locked. I have opened all voice mails, emails, etc.
    Anyone else want to take a shot as to what this dang this is. I called Verizon and of course, no answer. It is a 8830 WE. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks, Lydia
    08-12-08 06:56 PM
    I am getting this too....I think it is my calendar alarms that do not go away. Haven't been able to figure out to clear them out manually either.
    08-26-08 01:37 PM
    This has been driving me mad for weeks but it's definitely a facebook notification icon in my case - thanks to whoever suggested that!
    09-09-08 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the info. Mine too was a facebook icon. I checked my notification and voila...it disappeared.
    12-08-08 05:46 PM
    I have had the same problem. The only thing that has helped me is to pull the battery.
    01-13-09 03:53 PM
    Hello, been lurking a bit. But this caught my fancy today and figured out the blue/white icon....its a message in Facebook. If you look closely to the white part it looks like the 'F' in facebook. I went in there and found I did have messages. After I read them the icon disappeared.

Hope this helps
    HA! Dude, you're a bberry genius. That was driving me nuts. Now I can see it clearly, the Facebook logo. Just went into the Facebook BBerry app, deleted messages, and it's gone.

Thanks.
    02-09-09 11:57 AM
    I just got the Curve 8330 a couple of weeks ago and I started having the same icon appearing just this week.
    I have a Facebook account and I know for sure that it's not my Facebook messages, as that is a totally different icon.
    This icon that appears started off with the number 1 to the left of the blue and white square and now has the number 3; and it only appears when I lock the screen.
    I have checked all of my folers, including WAP and brower and I don't have any unread or unchecked messages.
    It's a mystery.
    02-12-09 01:01 PM
    Bump.

I just received one as well. I do not subscribe to Facebook ,etc. I have checked all messages and do not have one that is unopened.
    03-13-09 05:55 PM
    I have the same blue notification icon that I can not clear despite having cleared fbook and re-installed the battery a few times. My APN is clear and so is my schedule. This icon appears all the time, not just when locked.
    Last edited by BB.Bold.2009; 03-22-09 at 12:21 AM.
    03-22-09 12:01 AM
    i have the same problem!
    03-22-09 12:24 AM
    menu - instant messaging - accept request to be added to your friend's BB messaging contact list
    03-22-09 01:01 AM
    I have this same problem with my 8330. Every time I lock my phone the icon comes on & now it has a 2 next to it instead of just 1. If any one had a way to remove this for the 8330 please let me know. It is driving me crazy!!
    04-15-09 10:13 AM
    I've had my 8830 for about six months and have just today seen this icon.It's in the same area as the message notification icon, but slightly to the right. It appears to be a rectangle (like the envelope icon) but is black with a white outline and a white spot in the middle. It now has a 2 associated with it. I don't have any instant messaging....or any facebook, myspace or any of that. Any ideas on what it is, or how to access it?
    05-05-09 01:05 PM
    I am having the same issue on my 8330 with Sprint. I wish I can get rid my crackberry of it.
    05-18-09 06:33 AM
    It a black berry messenger request. Someone has either sent a request to be a buddy or sent you a instant message.
    05-21-09 08:45 PM
    Yesterday I noticed that there is an icon at the top on my screen under my "1XEV" and my service bars. The icon is a circle that is black with an arrow pointing down and toward the left, and also has a red mark in it. I checked my bbm but don't have a new message or friend request. I also checked my bb app store and don't have any waiting downloads or anything. I have no idea what this icon is for so if anyone has had the same problem please let me know! =] Thanks in advance!!
    08-08-09 12:56 PM
    Go to your Messages folder and you should see a message from App World saying you have a new update. Delete the message and it should go away
    08-08-09 02:31 PM
    I've been having this problem for about a week. Decided to google it and lead me to all these posts. While reading I got the idea to go into my Facebook App. Ther'es a list of icons on the very top and the second from the left is called notifications. There was sure plenty of them so I looked for two that were similar (because i had #2 on my lil icon on my home screen). I did find the evil twins. It seems that when I posted something it did not go through twice so the App sent me a notification. Since the posts were way over due to resend, I hit the blackberry button and deleted them and poof, the little icon is gone. At that point I registered to this site to share my victory with you guys.

- HOPE THIS HELPS!
    Last edited by SirSteve; 09-11-09 at 02:21 AM.
    09-10-09 11:32 PM
    Go to your Messages folder and you should see a message from App World saying you have a new update. Delete the message and it should go away
    Jake you are pure Genius All I had to do was click on the messages and the strange notification vanished. Thanks a Million.
    09-10-09 11:45 PM
    Again thanks dude, this has been driving me crazy for days!
    09-16-09 01:55 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD