Newest 8703 OS v4.2.1.110

Download it from HERE

Here are the instructions for installing:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed. It's 4.3, found Here
    2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded. (Choose the 8703)
    3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.

Have some patience, this could take an hour to complete. DO NOT unplug the device until it is finished!
    02-12-08 08:58 PM
    Fresh off the presses! Released 2/21/08

Blackberry 8703e:
    The MR which addresses the rebooting issue on the 8703 is now available online at RIM�s website. Customers should connect their device to a PC with Desktop Manager to install the upgrade, as this will not be available over the air. The website for this update is: "https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=FC3CF452D3DA8402BEBB765225CE8C0E"
    02-22-08 12:25 AM

Blackberry 8703e:
    The MR which addresses the rebooting issue on the 8703 is now available online at RIM�s website. Customers should connect their device to a PC with Desktop Manager to install the upgrade, as this will not be available over the air. The website for this update is: "https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=FC3CF452D3DA8402BEBB765225CE8C0E"

Would this update work on a Verizon 8703e? Cause I have two 8703e right now that reboot constantly - and mine just rebooted 20 minutes ago!
    03-06-08 09:41 AM
    I've tried both a Verizon 8703e and a Sprint 8703e and neither give me the upgrade prompt.
    03-11-08 12:49 PM
    Just wanted to give an update that this particular upgrade works. I have the 8703e model and phone service from Sprint. So far, the upgrade seems to be fine. Followed the instructions and my phone is upgraded. I do recommend that you do a backup, just in case. During the process of the upgrade, it performs one, but hey... can we ever have too many backups?

I will try to keep the thread informed of any new developments.

By all means, use the 4.3 Desktop Manager. It seems to work flawlessly with the upgrade.

As a tip, if you cannot find the 'vendor.xml' file, as noted in step 3, do a file search for for 'apploader' and you will see the file and other interesting contents.

This upgrade seems to have quite a few nice enhancements that seem to make the phone just flow better. The last version would hang sometimes. So far, my phone seems like a brand new tool. If you have been watching some of my posts, you would know that I purchased a them from bplay.com and could not get it to show up in the 'themes' area. After performing this upgrade, it now works fine! And let me tell you that the iBerry Black theme is quite cool. I am NOT going to get an iPhone, no matter how nice it seems to be. At least my phone looks like it, but has the quality and fortitude of my RIM product!

Happy Upgrading
    Last edited by psalministry1; 03-26-08 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Update of this post. New information about my upgrade
    03-24-08 02:42 PM
    So, will this work for the verizon 8703e? Man I dont feel like bricking my BB! This is like my 4th BB, my dumb just wants every app that out there, i got to be more careful, Now has anyone upgraded a VERIZON 8703E?
    03-29-08 09:53 AM
    yea i did. worked perfectly. the only downfall to it is that it will just re-boot randomly but that has always happened. just follow the steps that click said and you should be good!
    04-09-08 10:12 AM
    I have just checked my 8700c and it says that I have OS (edge) 4.2.194 (platform2.3.0.77) is this the latest one?
    04-09-08 01:21 PM
    So, will this work for the verizon 8703e? Man I dont feel like bricking my BB! This is like my 4th BB, my dumb just wants every app that out there, i got to be more careful, Now has anyone upgraded a VERIZON 8703E?
    I just upgraded about two hours ago. So far so good! I'll post a note if something goes wrong.
    04-27-08 10:01 PM
    I've tried both a Verizon 8703e and a Sprint 8703e and neither give me the upgrade prompt.
    I have a Verizon 8703e and I didn't get the prompt either. Is there a way to manually do the upgrade without being prompt to do so?
    05-08-08 05:30 PM
    Newest 8703 OS v4.2.1.110

Download it from HERE

Here are the instructions for installing:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed. It's 4.3, found Here
    2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded. (Choose the 8703)
    3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.

Have some patience, this could take an hour to complete. DO NOT unplug the device until it is finished!

Blackberry 8703e:
    The MR which addresses the rebooting issue on the 8703 is now available online at RIM’s website. Customers should connect their device to a PC with Desktop Manager to install the upgrade, as this will not be available over the air. The website for this update is: "https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=FC3CF452D3DA8402BEBB765225CE8C0E"
    I have a Verizon 8703e and I didn't get the prompt either. Is there a way to manually do the upgrade without being prompt to do so?
    Which link would I use for a Verizon 8703e? (Click provides a Telus package and Jo provides one for Sprint. I know Sprint is CDMA like verizon...)

UPDATE: Ran the Telus Package, and then ran the Sprint package. Phone runs great!

A little background info: I wasn't planning on updating the OS on my phone, BUT I had a weird 507 Error and the only way to resolve is it to reload the OS.
    Last edited by princealyy; 06-02-08 at 04:17 PM.
    06-02-08 03:37 PM
    Hi, I recently updated my 8703e to this OS. My phone number is blocked when I make calls so I have to put a *82 in front of the number, when dialing, to unblock. Now I've stored my personal contact numbers *82+10 digit number. And before I updated to this OS, it was able to translate an incoming call number even with *82 in front and display the name of the person. Now it doesn't. I just shows the phone number even though it's already in my address book. I was wondering if it's a setting that I have to change or is this a bug? Thanks.
    06-23-08 12:08 PM
    I downloaded the wallpapers and ring tone to my computer and tried to send it through to my blackberry but it keeps saying there is an error!! What do I do?? Also, numbers will be programmed into my phone but none of them show up with a name till I end the call and I see their name on my call log. How do I fix this?? Sorry if these questions sound silly... Im new and so very lost!! Thanks for all of your help!
    06-26-08 12:10 PM
    Just wanted to give an update that this particular upgrade works. I have the 8703e model and phone service from Sprint. So far, the upgrade seems to be fine. Followed the instructions and my phone is upgraded. I do recommend that you do a backup, just in case. During the process of the upgrade, it performs one, but hey... can we ever have too many backups?

I will try to keep the thread informed of any new developments.

By all means, use the 4.3 Desktop Manager. It seems to work flawlessly with the upgrade.

As a tip, if you cannot find the 'vendor.xml' file, as noted in step 3, do a file search for for 'apploader' and you will see the file and other interesting contents.

This upgrade seems to have quite a few nice enhancements that seem to make the phone just flow better. The last version would hang sometimes. So far, my phone seems like a brand new tool. If you have been watching some of my posts, you would know that I purchased a them from bplay.com and could not get it to show up in the 'themes' area. After performing this upgrade, it now works fine! And let me tell you that the iBerry Black theme is quite cool. I am NOT going to get an iPhone, no matter how nice it seems to be. At least my phone looks like it, but has the quality and fortitude of my RIM product!

Happy Upgrading
    I have an 8703e and service from Sprint. This upgrade is the best thing I've done for my BB. It feels like a brand new tool! The changes may seem small, but they make navigation so mich smoother - and quicker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-08 07:16 PM
    does any one know if the upgrades are for centennial??
    07-26-08 11:23 PM
    I've got an old 8703e I had from US Cellullar, I was looking to upgrade the OS just for kicks, will this update work? I'm letting my daughter use the phone as a PDA and EBook reader, so I'm not too keen on crapping it out if you follow me.
    09-25-08 07:49 PM
    I cannot get Pocketmac to recognize the 8703 at all with Verizon version 4.2!

Perchance does anyone have earlier versions of Verizon software for the 8703 hanging around? Have to go backwards to move forward this time....

Regards,
    Kevin
    10-25-08 12:54 AM
    Sprint has OS 4.2.1.119 available for download. I loaded it on my Alltel phone and it works fine. Download it from their software page through Blackberry's website (sorry, can't post direct link yet since I am under 10 posts).
    12-11-08 04:58 PM
    I absolutely hate how crappy my Blackberry performs with 4.2. Although there is not a official OS system above 4.2 .

Has anyone done an upgrade to 4.5 to their 8703e before? Can u give any hints?

Hopefully it will work and if it does I will post the information on how I did it.

Here is what I did learn if u have Vista on your PC.

If you have an Operating System version that is not designed for your phone specifically (like a beta OS) than MAKE SURE TO DELETE the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Very important!

then:Follow this

The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
    3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
    4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
    B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
    C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

5. Finish the installation.

(Note: If you're doing a fresh install of Desktop Manager, be sure and choose the "Custom" install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll likely run into this issue.)

I decided to go with the closest phone to mine. I chose the OS 4.5 from the 8700 Smart phone series.

Worse case senerio, it may not work, I will just format or downgrade. LOL

Hope that helps!!!! I will keep you all posted.

-------------------------------Update-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12/28/08

Well my post above did not work for an upgrade so now I am waiting for my device to completetly reboot after using JL_Cmder. I currently have the white screen with an error. Hopefully this will allow me to load the new OS 4.5. I am determined to get this to work on my phone even though Sprint does not offer it yet. I will continue to keep you all posted as I will be attempting the CDMA version used by Verizon for the 8330. Cant hurt. I can always restore it back to my crappy 4.2 version......

Once again I will keep you posted.

By the way: Has anyone had any luck upgrading the 8703 series to 4.5?

Is there any company that has released the 4.5 OS for that phone? Anywhere i the world?

Help a girl out!
    12-28-08 10:55 PM
    Any 4.5 love for the 8703e? I know that the 8700 has had it for some time.
    12-31-08 06:28 PM
    We get no love. Not from Blackberry and not from Sprint.
    01-10-09 10:01 PM
    They haven't released 4.5 for the 8830 WE under Verizon. I doubt they'll release it for this phone
    01-14-09 10:44 AM
    I am not liking the 4.2 OS I just installed on my 8703e. It seems a touch slower, but mainly the installed themes don't have a "list" theme. On 4.1 I always used a list that specifically says what each item is.
    How do I either rollback (don't know where 4.1 lives) or get a very simple, non-icon, them!
    Many Thanks
    01-15-09 05:23 PM
    I don't know as of yet
    02-17-09 03:02 PM
    I already unlock my rim blackberry 8703e for metro pcs but i have some problems getting activated
    can anyone help me ?
    i call metro *228 and they told me that my bb is not in their inventory
    i don't know why because when i dial the *228 and *611 from my unlock phone.
    02-19-09 12:29 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD