Company issues 8703e on Verizon with O/S 4.1.0.377 I have the upgrade to take it to 4.2.1

I assume all my email, apps etc will have to be reset? What are the odds my IT department is gonna give me that dirty look like WTF did you do ??

Any downsides to the upgrade?

Thanks

Derek.-
    08-29-08 11:58 AM
    You shouldn't do it without your IT admin's permission. Especially don't do it if you are BES. If yo are on BES, and upgrade, you will need to have the BES admin reactivate your device.
    08-29-08 12:07 PM
    Its an exchange server setup - How do I determine if I am on BES ?

Need to think up an excuse for the upgrade - besides I want to change the themes

D.-
    08-29-08 12:09 PM
    SuperBad has it right. Just think, how does your company feel abut you meddling with other of their assets without their asking or you getting their permission?

The other question is how will your IT dept. reach. As an ex CIO for a large insurance company I would not be at all pleased about this. I would say things like:
    - this guy has compromised my corporate security.
    - he has mis-managed corprate property
    - it will cost $xyz to put back to corporate standards
    - why is this guy wasting everybody's time
    - I want him fired because I can no longer trust him

I would be sayng these things to HR and to your department head (not your Boss, I would go above him). I would be quite correct in saying so too.

My advise, leave it well alone, my friend
    Last edited by Pete6; 08-29-08 at 12:18 PM.
    08-29-08 12:15 PM
    I upgraded my 8830WE which was issued from work. I didn't have to have them reactivate it, I just did another enterprise activation and everything is fine.

Don't quote me on this, and someone who deals with BES can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they'll be able to tell the OS you have on the device unless you bring it to them for like service.
    08-29-08 01:34 PM
    I dont think they can tell the OS either; but I could be completely wrong.
    08-29-08 01:41 PM
    Why not just talk with you IT guys? They may be unaware there is an upgrade available. Pete is correct about being careful when messing around with company property. I reloaded my OS on my old 7105t from my company and fiddled with some stuff. I however am good friends with my IT department and help them out all the time. I do prefer having my own berry though so I don't have that hanging over my head.
    08-29-08 01:42 PM
    They can tell EVERYTHING about your phone when you are on BES. They can also lockout what ever they please.
    08-29-08 01:43 PM
    I'll give you advice my friend gave me...

NO WAY IN **** should you ever f-up company property.
    08-29-08 02:27 PM
    I sent a note to the IT guy I work with. I am in an ad agency where we do mobile/WAP development projects. Unfortunatley our IT group doesn't embrace the digital marketing age as robustly as out group - so we'll see what they come back with.
    08-29-08 03:12 PM
    There are corporate standards for good reason. Having been in the IT dept handling BES issues for a number of years, I can tell you from my perspective, it would be going right back to the standard as soon as you got done with it.

I'm just as upgrade-minded as the next crackberry addict... However, if everyone starts doing their own thing with their devices, then every device becomes a custom setup. And we don't have the time of day to manage that monster.

This is why I have a corporate BB, and a personal one. I do whatever I want with the personal one. But the corporate sticks to the standard.
    08-29-08 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD