my blackberry got wet
it was raining heavily today, and my bb was in pocket and the water seeped through my pockets and and got on the blackberry, it was a bit wet but it didnt get inside the screen or anythng, but when got inside i dried it and its working normaly but i looked at battery and the liquid indicator thing was red but i dried everything and its fine so do you think anything might go wrong with my bb?I'm always the center of attention, with my Blackberry
- 12-08-2007, 11:09 AM #3
Only way to tell is time. If its working now like it was before I wouldn't worry too much. If you wanted to you could pop off the cover and the battery and let it set out overnight to dry out a bit just in case.
- 12-08-2007, 11:09 AM #4
You never know! But if nothing has gone wrong yet chances are no! The liquid indicator on the battery is just for your carrier to know if your BB has gotten wet so they can void the warranty.
- 12-08-2007, 11:47 AM #5
Crazyberry check the battery LDI as has been reports of device LDI giving false positives and then it goes by battery LDI. If battery LDI is red then warranty is void but if is white then fine. As for device sounds like should be fine.
- 01-05-2008, 05:48 PM #8
(As I sit and wait for my wife in Target....eating a slice) I am the worlds' worse at getting my cells and BT headsets wet- usually by having them either fall in the toilet or out of my pocket during the rain. Good Luck. I recently signed up for insurance.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- CrackBerry Genius
01-05-2008, 06:51 PM #9
- 2,557 Posts
The sticker on the battery is NOT a moisture indicator. The moisture indicator is a small white (hopefully, white!) square on the inside of the battery compartment near the memory card/sim card.
If your BB gets wet, remove the battery, memory card and sim card and allow the device to dry for several days before attempting to use the device again. The device can handle getting wet. What it can't handle is getting wet and running electricity through it.Z30STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234
Z10STL100-3 / 10.2.1.2234
Q10SQN100-5 / 10.2.1.2234
- CrackBerry Addict
01-05-2008, 07:00 PM #10
- 867 Posts
- 08-16-2009, 04:01 PM #12
Remove the battery before it does more damage, and dry the phone thoroughly before the battery goes back in. You don't say how wet is wet, so we can't guess how much damage has already been done.
Drying - it is likely to take several days if there is moisture around the PCBs. Warm dry place for several days if the phone got really wet rather than just damp.
Some of the users here are convinced you can use uncooked rice as a moisture absorber, so pack the phone in a large bowl of dry rice.
Personally I like the 4 ounce bags of silica gel which come with some new electronic equipment, if you can get any (dry the silical gel in the oven about 150C for a few hours and allow to cool before use, seal the phone and bag of silica gel in a ziploc and leave it for however long it takes, it will pull more water than the rice).
Be warned - if you power up a wet phone the damage is done by short circuits, not by the water itself. Make sure it is dry before you try again.
- 09-16-2009, 02:08 PM #14
ok so mine got a little wet last night. some one hit me with a water balloon. I took it out and dried it off and it was working fine. Then like an hour later none of the buttons are working. It's been drying for like 16 hrs and still cant get the buttons to work. It comes on fine i can watch it get text messages emails and phone calls but i cant push any buttons......think it will work?
- 09-17-2009, 01:24 PM #15
blackberry went swimming
I was cleaning out my inground pool and fell in, with my blackberry. I couldn't get out because it is 12 feet deep and the sides were too slippery. I figured the phone was history anyway so I threw it as hard as I could out of the pool onto the cement. Of course it didn't work and I took the battery out and let it dry for a few days and then put it in a bag of rice. It works fine now. You cannot tell anything even happened to it!
- 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM #17
They can survive!!
This is disgusting, but last night I left me phone face-up on a table. My cat decided to drink a lot of water and hacked up a VERY wet hairball onto my Curve 3210 Keyboard. The phone immediately shut itself off.
The inside of the plastic screen guard and the entire battery compartment were wet! I quickly removed the battery and cards. Figuring that water was less corrosive (and disgusting) than acidified cat puke, I ran the phone under a strong stream of reverse-osmosis-purified water for around 20 seconds to rinse it out.
I placed the phone on top of a tiny fan that was blowing warm (about 100 F) air through it for around 10 hours. Once all traces of moisture were gone from behind the screen I put the battery back in and fired it up.
Aside from the trackball button-press not being quite as responsive today, the unit is working flawlessly! Even that button is working better by the minute and I suspect it'll recover fully once the nastiness inside is worn out.
Yuck!!! But the whole lesson speaks volumes for the quality of Blackberry's products. (I was about to go back to Nokia, but not now!)
- 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM #18
BB drowned, all restored except screen
In the midst of a holiday frenzy, my blackberry 8330 went in with a load of laundry ... yes, agitated, with soap for about 30 minutes before I realized where it was. Believe it or not, after 3 days in a bag of rice, the thing seems to be entirely functional... all except the screen. The backlight is out or something. I think the flash on the camera is gone too but I couldn't care less. I had sync'd it recently and will be able to pull my passwords off with the flashlight. But, before I start looking at what it will involve to replace this (did not have the insurance), I thought I'd see if anyone possibly has a trick or recommendation to possibly restore the backlight. Thanks for any help...
- CrackBerry Newbie
01-02-2010, 06:05 PM #20
- 2 Posts
- CrackBerry Newbie
01-13-2010, 08:02 PM #21
- 7 Posts
My 8 day old Sprint Tour fell in a bowl of water 5 days ago. I immediately ripped off the cover, and after drying the phone and battery put them into a jar of dry rice for 4 days. I reactivated tonight and it works wonderfully!
This is the best fix by far!
- CrackBerry User
01-18-2010, 06:36 AM #22
- 40 Posts
getting rid of dampness
If everyone will go to a hardware store, such as lowe's or home depot, buy yourself a container of damprid to keep on hand. If you drop your phone in some water, get the battery out, start using a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment, a wet-dry vac is ideal,keep turning your phone over letting the power of the vacuum to evacuate the moisture, then cover the phone and battery with the damprid, it is a solid in the form of flakes, but only for about 10-15 minutes because the damprid will start hardening, then use the vacuum again to clean out the damprid, this should work for you
- 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM #23
okay last night at 2:30 in the morning my blackberry started playing a song that i did not even have on my phone. I didnt get a text message or email or anything that would make it ring. It just started to play and i couldnt turn it down or anything so i had to turn it off. I did not even know what the song was. What could be wrong with my blackberry? Can someone help me?