So my Pearl recently bricked on me and I've tried every tutorial I can find to try and resurrect it, but it's gone... And as you all know, once you go crackberry you really truely can never go back to some other ****ty samsung or something like that...

So, as much as I liked the Pearl I really would like a full qwerty this time around and I have been lookin at the 8700g on eBay (around $80, not bad. I wish I could afford a curve, but that's a whole other story). So I guess my questions are:
    Comin off of a pearl is this a good replacement?
    I know there's no trackball and it uses the trackwheel, does that wear out easily?
    Also, does that 4.5.0.55 OS work on the 8700g?
    Is there any difference between 8700 models like the 8700g and 8700c or are the different letters just for different carriers and nothing else?
    Oh, and final question, is there any sort of SD slot?

Anyways, thanks for any advice, I'd really appreciate it!
    Last edited by hyrothepyro; 08-22-08 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added sd question
    08-22-08 09:08 AM
    Alrighty, so I've convinced myself that this is a great replacement to move into QWERTY from a Pearl unless anyone speaks up calling me crazy and telling me to just save up and get a Curve...

I just still would like to know if OS 4.5.0.55 works with 8700g and whether is has an SD slot or not... Lookin around at spec sheets and whatnot I seem to think that there isn't one, which is no biggie, I'd just like to be able to use my micro from my Pearl... Anyways, thanks for any replies!
    08-22-08 01:13 PM
    The Curve is a nice phone.

Yes, there's a place for SD.
    08-22-08 01:17 PM
    according to RIMs spec sheet BlackBerry - BlackBerry 8700g Wireless Handheld Device | With Email, Software, Internet & Smartphonethere is no sd memory slot. Secondly now I am speculating because you can search google as well as I can, but due to the age of this model I doubt any further o.s. updates will be made for it. I.E. no 4.5
    08-22-08 01:20 PM
    There's this: forums.crackberry.com/f6/newest-8700-os-v4-5-0-55-multilanguage-62004/

I just was unsure if it mattered whether I got just an 8700 or if 8700g would work as well, I would assume so given there is really no difference between the phones other than carriers...

Anyways, thanks!
    08-22-08 01:26 PM
    There's this: forums.crackberry.com/f6/newest-8700-os-v4-5-0-55-multilanguage-62004/

I just was unsure if it mattered whether I got just an 8700 or if 8700g would work as well, I would assume so given there is really no difference between the phones other than carriers...

Anyways, thanks!
    good like I said I was just guessing.
    here is a link to compare the 8700 c,r,g, side by side practically no difference. But there is NO sd SLOT!BlackBerry - BlackBerry 8700 Series | 8700c, 8700g, 8700r & 8703e Wireless Handheld Devices
    08-22-08 01:30 PM
    i have an 8700 and a curve the curve is a far nicer phone but 80 dollars used is alot nicer than 300~500 new no contract price when you can get a curve but the 8700 is decent and just think when you have your curve you can either spread the blackberry love to someone else with your 8700 or keep it for nostalgia and if you are waiting an saving save up for a bold or javalin instead or a flip pearl kickstart seawolf whatever the **** they are calling it this week
    08-27-08 02:36 AM
    there are lot of places for SD
    08-30-08 09:03 AM
    So my Pearl recently bricked on me and I've tried every tutorial I can find to try and resurrect it, but it's gone... And as you all know, once you go crackberry you really truely can never go back to some other ****ty samsung or something like that...

So, as much as I liked the Pearl I really would like a full qwerty this time around and I have been lookin at the 8700g on eBay (around $80, not bad. I wish I could afford a curve, but that's a whole other story). So I guess my questions are:
    Comin off of a pearl is this a good replacement?
    I know there's no trackball and it uses the trackwheel, does that wear out easily?
    Also, does that 4.5.0.55 OS work on the 8700g?
    Is there any difference between 8700 models like the 8700g and 8700c or are the different letters just for different carriers and nothing else?
    Oh, and final question, is there any sort of SD slot?

Anyways, thanks for any advice, I'd really appreciate it!
    I'm scared now... How did you brick it?
    09-11-08 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD