I am in the UK and have a 8700 and I cannot get google maps to work. I have installed opera as the browser with the phone (vodaphone) just sticks but I have been online with opera and it works great.

When I enter the download address in opera it just says google maps not compatible with your device.

I downloaded google maps and installed it with my desktop manager but when it starts after granting it permission it then freezes..

any help appreciated
    09-18-08 01:47 PM
    Try using the BlackBerry Browser, with the emulation set to BlackBerry. Go to the Google site using the BlackBerry Browser, and navigate to the Maps download. That's how I have done it successfully.
    09-18-08 03:46 PM
    Try using the BlackBerry Browser, with the emulation set to BlackBerry. Go to the Google site using the BlackBerry Browser, and navigate to the Maps download. That's how I have done it successfully.
    Sorry.. how do I do that ??

I only seem to have the opera browser (that I installed) and something called Vodaphone live which I think is for browsing the net but it wont open when I select it it just says 'requesting' but nothing else happens...

Is there some way to access the blackberry browser ??
    09-18-08 04:36 PM
    That's odd. I'm not familiar with vodaphone or the 8700v, but in general it's not possible to remove or uninstall the BlackBerry Browser. It's an integral part of the OS load, and is always running. If you press Alt-Esc, you should see the browser in the list of running programs, not necessarily in this order: messages, browser, homescreen, phone log, BBMessenger.

When you alt-esc, what icons do you see?
    09-18-08 04:42 PM
    Yeah it is there, its that Vodaphone thing that stops working. That's the reason I installed opera. Is there a way to select opera as my default browser as when I select a link in a message it opens the Vodaphone browser and sticks...

Just got the maps to work.... not sure how I just was messing with the add network thing in options and it found two I selected one and then the maps worked ????

By the way what is the blinking green led light on the front of the backberry for ??
    09-18-08 05:16 PM
    No, there's no way to replace the BlackBerry Browser as the default browser. Google Maps requires a data plan and internet access to be able to download maps. That's why it started working when you enabled a network connection. The blinking green led is the network access indicator. It's showing you that Google is accessing the network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 06:47 PM
    OK Thanks for your help
    09-18-08 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD