I have gone through 2 curves, a pearl AND the bold...but by far, the 8700 beats everything performance wise...it is the longest berry ive had problem free the bold wasnt too bad but its too sweet of a phone that i was always too cautious....my 8700g is a tank...ive dropped it, drowned it, thrown it and it still works like new!!! im waiting for the 8820 to arrive, hopefully its a good phone as well...ive heard nothing but good things about it...BUT i must say, when it comes to my favorite berry, it is DEF the berry 8700g
    10-07-09 08:42 PM
    woot to that! and put up how the 8820 goes for you, please...i'm thinking of getting one...
    10-07-09 09:55 PM
    I have gone through 2 curves, a pearl AND the bold...but by far, the 8700 beats everything performance wise...it is the longest berry ive had problem free the bold wasnt too bad but its too sweet of a phone that i was always too cautious....my 8700g is a tank...ive dropped it, drowned it, thrown it and it still works like new!!! im waiting for the 8820 to arrive, hopefully its a good phone as well...ive heard nothing but good things about it...BUT i must say, when it comes to my favorite berry, it is DEF the berry 8700g
    Gotta agree with you. Used a Bold and a Curve for a while but just went back to an 8703. Clunky graphics and I miss the camera and MP3 but otherwise the 8700 series has it ALL over the others for performance, repeating alerts, and ease of use! Scroll wheel is MUCH better than the trackball or touch screen. Started using my new replacement 8700 from the Bold and was like "Hello old friend!"
    Last edited by Omicron; 10-10-09 at 06:12 PM.
    10-10-09 06:09 PM
    I agree.

If you're out running around and hurrying and carrying stuff and need to get to a specific option quickly, the scroll wheel will get you there faster than the trackball, because it physically clicks. If I know a certain option is five down, I don't even have to look at it since I feel the clicks.

It also looks like batman's mask on the back. It is the last phone I remember to really look like a blackberry, before going cutesy/iphone like. I like the 8700.
    10-10-09 07:32 PM
    Say what?
    10-11-09 12:21 AM
    I am getting the 8820 in the mail soon. I'll do a little 8820vs8700 review later this week...NOTHING beats the side scroll though, i love it!
    10-11-09 05:41 PM
    Hmm this is interesting to read... maybe I should really try out the old school 8700 then! At least you know you'd never have any of those trackball problems!
    10-11-09 09:34 PM
    I agree and it's too bad it's outdated
    10-11-09 10:39 PM
    Actually after having used the latest and greatest for over a year - the Storm - I gotta say the 8700 really isn't outdated. Showing it's age, yes, but still 100% viable. Every bit as good as my Storm for what I want it for, and MUCH better in many respects.
    10-11-09 11:33 PM
    it really isn't outdated at all...if u think about it, what is so different from the 8700g and the rest of the berrys? A new interface? Ok some of the apps you cant use with the 8700 but the MAIN stuff is the same like home screen, themes, etc. I'm excited to get my 8820 but something tells me I'll be rockin it old skool with this one for a while before I use my 8820....it really is THE berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 11:54 PM
    Exactly right. I'm sure there'll be a better one come along some day soon, but for now the 870x is the best BB.
    10-16-09 10:43 PM
    I never owned an 8700 but from the few I handled, they seem to be built like outdoor concrete water closets.

My own favorite was the 8310 which I thought was a fine phone.

I would not criticize anyone for touting the advantages of almost any of the Bralcberry products. They are all good and they all have unique feature whilst still remaining BlackBerrys. A neat trick, RIM. Well done.
    10-17-09 10:01 AM
    Spot on, Pete.
    10-17-09 10:05 AM
    i love 8700Gs. I just got one today used (of course) cause my bold is resetting when i set it down. hardware issue.
    11-02-09 09:35 PM
    I just got an 8700c, it was a company cast off. It had a cracked lens, I fixed it even though it is deactivated, because they make really cool PDAs. It will dial out, but only for SOS calls. This is my 2nd 8700c as PDA, and it is in really nice shape. I wish I could activate it 'data only' on a prepaid basis just to take it for a spin! These are almost indestructible. I work in a heavy equipment shop, and I don't have to worry about a trackball getting dirty. I even dropped it a few times. The extended battery lasts 2 days. The keyboard is huge and well lit. The 'big' screen is easy to read in most places, even under a pushback tractor! I wish RIM would upgrade these tough old things for those who work in the trades. I use it for tracking crew rosters, obscure part numbers, part orders, and it even beeps when I have an appointment. My Curve 8330 stays in the office for all work contacts, and the Tour 9630 stays home.
    11-03-09 01:02 AM
    I like this thread, and i definitely have to agree, ive had numerous smartphones from palm treo to blackberry, and the 8700g was by far the best, i mean the battery on that thing would last 2-3 days easily without a charge, my 8900 gets maybe 1 day and its dead, if my 8700 wasn't stolen i probably would of still got the 8900 but it sure would of been a great back up phone, matter of fact i might buy a used one just for that purpose. +2
    11-05-09 06:55 PM
    Holler! **** yeah I still have my 8703e! I feel bad because she sits atop my fridge in it's good ole belt clip case and I give it a charge once in a while to keep her happy.

I tell ya along with allot of others have said, I cannot agree more on the reliability and plain old rock solid casing this puppy has. I've dropped it out my car, spilled coffee on it, I was hoping a fence to get a better view at something and it flew the **** out of my pocket because as I jumped, the berry snagged on someone's bag and it launched itself coming smack down to hit the corner of a parking lot barrier on the corner of my berry! And as you guessed......as you all say "oooohhhhh man" Not a damn thing wrong with it accept for a little chip of the casing from that hit.

Not long after that, I upgraded to a Pearl 8130 and up the fridge she sits but I do give her love with a charge once in a while and that charge holds for days before I don't see that stand by LED. All in all....what an amazing blackberry! I have gone through 3 Pearls with not even near as much hits or drops to it. Funny.....as technology gets better and better, why are they cheaping out with the casings so much? tisk tisk.

Just my story and love for my 8703e, being that I use my berry so much for work, I have been thinking of resurrecting her back and then I see this thread! hah

Cheers guys.
    11-06-09 11:21 PM
    I had the 8707v, which sadly drowned in the South China Sea last May.

I'm not really a big fan of the newer models. RIM seems to be turning its back on usable keyboards. For example, the latest Curve has a keyboard too small for my hands. In contrast, my thumbs moved easily and surely over the smooth 8707v keys.

Furthermore, the scroll-wheel was fast and made short work of long passages, such as the legal blurb when installing new software. Using a trackball is comparatively slow and I have no idea how people stay sane when finger-pressing. The 8700 series boasted an extra button too.

The 8700 screens were sweet. This specification has not changed, never the less, its worth pointing out that all 8700 and newer are sweeter than an iPhone.

Having not liked the latest models input controls, I have not bought one. Furthermore, the 8900 and 9000 have been discontinued in high street stores. Consequently, I replaced my drowned 8707v with a used 8800. Both series have excellent battery performance.

The 8700 series has no support for SD Cards, which is a bummer. Compared to other BlackBerry's, I suggest this is its Achilles' heal.

Although the 8707v boasted 3g, using it would drain the battery (my subtle emphasis) and I think all 87xx lacked Edge support! The Edge conundrum is odd because the technology is generally regarded as a software patch. RIM's lack of provision should send any after-sales support-conscious consumer's alarm bells ringing.

I tentatively suggest that RIM do not want to consider the future of their devices. For example, buying used is thwart with difficulties over network connections because you won't find good value data plans for the built-in software. This affects anyone who hopes to sell their new BlackBerry in the future.
    Last edited by flop; 11-07-09 at 06:37 PM.
    11-07-09 06:22 PM
    woot to that! and put up how the 8820 goes for you, please...i'm thinking of getting one...
    Just gone from 8707v to 8800 and its been good.

My only complaint is that it does get stuck sometimes. By that I mean that it just doesn't always receive data. For example, its been thinking about how to tackle viigo for the last 10 minutes! I think this might be my carrier..
    11-07-09 07:48 PM
    I wish RIM would upgrade these tough old things for those who work in the trades. I use it for tracking crew rosters, obscure part numbers, part orders, and it even beeps when I have an appointment. My Curve 8330 stays in the office for all work contacts, and the Tour 9630 stays home.

My 87xx traveled the world and joined me on an expedition to the South-East Asian rain forests. It did not return. However, BlackBerry's shouldn't stay home - they were born to be free!!
    11-07-09 07:59 PM
    Well said sir hahaha! I would have done the same.
    11-08-09 12:09 AM
    I've just got new(?) 8700g on eBay and enjoy hacking it: disabling IT policy, updating the OS etcetera. I immediately put Fallout "PipBoy" theme on it, so now the device looks like 1950-ies lamp-powered techno-marvel

What amazes me is the fact that apart from being old-skool and legendary, the device is very functional: the interface is fast (it literally flies! at least on par or even faster than newest generation of smartphones); battery life is the best I've seen on any smartphone; keyboard is a dream, I started touch-typing after 10 minutes of practice; it multitasks seamlessly with its 16(!) megs of RAM.
    So, I decided to use it as my main phone-for-calls/emailing/calendar/twitter device.
    12-17-09 11:20 AM
    Had an 8700g but just recently upgraded to the 9700. I'm definently liking the 3g, wifi, trackpad, video, and resolution but I'll always keep that 8700 as my backup.

12-23-09 07:22 PM
    Newer isn't always better. Still pleased with my "downgrade" back to an 8703 from my 9500 Storm. Only thing I miss is the camera and being able to receive pictures, other than that the 8700 is a MUCH better device for all the reasons people have called out above.

RIM, are you listening?
    02-11-10 12:54 PM
    I have to agree with you all. The Blackberry 8700 series was by far The Berry that turned RIM into a mega success. Its sad to see the dainty flimsy models being pushed out today, pun intended. The bold 9700 is a disaster, its a hardware nightmare and so sad because this is the new flagship, yeah right. The 8700 I have is almost in mint condition after such a long time and runs faster in many respect to the curves, storms, or bolds I've owned. Comn RIM let's make a special edition tribute model to the 8700 series. The best berry ever made.

02-12-10 06:18 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD