hey guys,
    with unicel i will not be able to get the blackberry data plan, i want to buy a GSM unlocked blackberry 8700 (C, or G). my question is, what do i miss out on without the blackberry data plan? is it Just the browser? will i still be able to install a messenger, and will i be able to get my yahoo POP mail on the blackberry with just a regular Data plan? please let me know your thoughts.

and what is the main difference between the 8700C and 8700G?

thanks allot
    D

( btw, i am deciding between the blackberry and the Cect P168++ (now with java i guess) not sure which i want.

Thanks
    06-20-08 05:23 AM
    Here is the difference BlackBerry - BlackBerry 8700 Series | 8700c, 8700g, 8700r & 8703e Wireless Handheld Devices

As far as data plans you get email, browser, bb messenger, 3rd party applications. I think that the data plans give you the full experience of the BB.
    06-20-08 05:37 AM
    so since i cant get the BB plan, can i still do IM, Email and such with other apps? i notice on my brothers 8700C he has a Yahoo mail icon and uses that.
    06-20-08 05:41 AM
    so since i cant get the BB plan, can i still do IM, Email and such with other apps? i notice on my brothers 8700C he has a Yahoo mail icon and uses that.
    If you dont have the bb plan you cant do any of the above unless you have some sort of pay per use feature, but a pay per use feature will put you in the poor house for sure.
    06-20-08 05:49 AM
    cant i use opera Mini? and if so, isnt there a 3rd party IM that i can get to use with my Data plan?

Thanks for the info guys!
    06-20-08 07:03 AM
    When using opera mini, or any type or program like a brower that will cause you to use data units and inturn cost you money and prolly more than a set data plan by the end of the month. The unlimited plan is only $30 a month and I don't see any point of getting the BB is you don't get the data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-08 07:15 AM
    i do have a data plan, it is unlimited, but it is NOT the BB plan. it is not offered.

what i want to know is, can i still surf the net, check email, and IM, even if i have to install a 3rd party program using my unicel unlimited data plan?
    Thanks
    06-20-08 07:45 AM
    This would be a better question for a Customer Service person at your carrier.

I, for one, have never even heard of that carrier (Unicel). They would be able to better answer your questions about getting a BlackBerry... and the data plan.

For use of third party apps, IMing, browsing (all of that) you need a BB data plan. I am not sure what your carriers (non-BB) data plan is...??

And if your brother has a BlackBerry and is on the same carrier... you could ask him and he would know better than us, since he has first hand experience!
    06-20-08 07:51 AM
    hey,
    no my brother has the BB plan, it is not offered here. I have an unlimited GSM data plan.

i am just trying to really find out, if i can install 3rd party apps to use a BB.
    Septembersrain likes this.
    06-20-08 07:54 AM

This would be a better question for a Customer Service person at your carrier.

I agree, you should ask your carrier about all that before you get the phone and sign up for any kind of data plan. find out what is and isnt allowed using the plan they offer.

Good luck and welcome to CB
    06-20-08 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD