I have both, presently I use my 9630 right now, but really miss the sturdiness and keypad feel of the 8703e. While holding both phones in my hands this thought came to mind....

Is it anyway to do a harward mod that could essencially put the insides of the 9630 into the housing of a 8700 model? Obviously some external modifications would be nessicary but it would seemingly be a nice idea.
    01-28-10 11:30 AM
    It would be an awful lot of work. I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 11:48 AM
    That would be a crazy hybrid! Unfortunately the devices designs are wildly different. If you want the keypad feel of the 87XX series the Curve 8530 would be good for you. If you really want the sturdyness feel I would suggest getting yourself an otterbox. Good luch!

01-30-10 12:01 PM
    I haven't heard of anyone successfully pulling off a mod like that. But you're welcome to try if you're feeling lucky. (Disclaimer: BergerKing is in no way responsible for anyone making the personal decision to thrash their equipment, will deny knowledge of such, and make counter-accusations, pleas of temporary insanity, color on the walls, and wail incessantly if so accused of encouraging such odd behavior.)

01-30-10 01:59 PM
    That would be a crazy hybrid! Unfortunately the devices designs are wildly different. If you want the keypad feel of the 87XX series the Curve 8530 would be good for you. If you really want the sturdyness feel I would suggest getting yourself an otterbox. Good luch!

Huh? Compared to a 87xx, keyboard use on the 8530 is even more different than the 9630. The 87xx keyboard is easier to type on because its a lot larger.

I don't think the modification would be easy because, at least with the models that I have opened, the switches beneath the keys are stuck onto the main PCB. The switches are not the visible plastic buttons. In other words, the 'real' keyboard is not a separate component.

Consequently, I think you would need the 96xx keyboard and the 87xx keyboards to line up perfectly against each other so that a direct substitution is possible. I'm not suggesting the keys should be the same shape or size, but that they would need to be in the same position. If any positions are different then the task will be more complicated than modifying the housing.
    Last edited by flop; 02-01-10 at 04:27 AM.
    02-01-10 04:24 AM
    I have an 8520 and an 8700 and the difference between the keyboards is like night and day. The 8700 blows the other keyboards out of the water.

02-05-10 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD