I have a blackberry 8700 g.
    When I travel to Europe and try to call a local number
    from my address book (for example a cell phone number starting with 06), my Blackberry automaticall adds a "1" prefix before the number. As a result, I can not get connected.
    I have to look at my address book, remember the number, and direct dial myself.
    Is there a way to remedy this and make the "1" prefix optional?
    Thanks for your help.
    10-21-07 10:25 AM
    Hi there, I have a similar problem here, mine dails +49 before each number from the contacts, anyone have a solution?
    10-27-07 09:34 AM
    Ive been browsing for a while now, and found the solution, though my problem is solved.
    Go to, when in phone mode, to the menu. Then choose options, smart dialing. In that specific screen you can change the prefix.

Hope this works with you too.
    10-27-07 09:53 AM
    You are my hero!

My mother brought me back a curve 8320 from Florida, im in Ireland. And it kept putting +10 in front of all my numbers and failing.

On the curve i had to go into call log > options > smart Dialing a

and then chnage the prefix to +353, which is correct for ireland.

Cheers, that was the one thing bugging me lol.
    04-03-09 02:08 PM
    I brought my use phone to Israel for 3 years, and put it on a local plan. however, when i save a local #, it won't dial from the phone book because it puts the US +1 before the # to call.

I read the posts about looking in Options for a "Smart Dialing" or "National Dialing" option, but there is nothing like this on the old 8120 Pearl.

Can anyone help me with my dinosaur phone?

Thanks.
    07-23-10 11:08 AM
    Hey dude, I have an old 8120 as well, and the same issue has been driving me insane for about a year. I got hold of this thread and thought the same thing - my phone doesn't have 'smart dialing'. YES IT DOES! It's just not under the normal 'options' menu. You have to go into your call log, hit the blackberry button, down to options, then into smart dialing. There you'll see options to choose which, if any, country code your phone automatically dials.
    12-02-10 01:18 AM
    Hello. I have a blackberry 8520. I have a problem. I can not change the prefix. I found not smart call options or call log. can someone help me? when you dial the number, everything is ok, but when you call someone from the contacts, can not, and says "radio path unavailable. SMS not sent if not picked up. thanks
    Listen
    Read phonetically
    Dictionary - View detailed dictionary
    12-21-10 06:56 AM
    From any screen> Green Phone Key (that's the call log). Hit BB Menu Key. Scroll to Options> Scroll to Smart Dialing.
    Mine is set to Country Code +1 (I'm USA).
    Area Code: 3 digit.
    National Number Length: 10.
    Use "1" for National Dialing: Yes.
    Hope this helps.
    12-21-10 07:29 AM
    i have the same problem i am in colombia and i would like to take out +1 for my address book... please help me
    08-10-11 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD