Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Unacceptable Memory Leak?

Hello all,

I am actually very disappointed this wasn’t discussed in any of the new OS7 device reviews.

The unacceptable memory leak that was in OS6, I am hoping is now fixed.

Does anyone know for sure?
    CrackBerry Addict

if it was there they would have talked about it. many ppl in the forums have said its none existant
    Thanked by:
    stinckyfoot (08-25-2011) 

i have seen this in many peoples screen caps. i thought this was fixed with OS 6. i have seen many people with 7-10 MBs gone with not even 1 days use.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

The memory leak showed up in OS6 and was never fixed. My memory goes from 42MB to less than 1MB in about 3 to 4 hours on my Bold 9700 OS 6.0.0.600.

I just want to know for sure if it's fixed.
    CrackBerry Addict

OS7 still has memory leaks but I have no clue if it is due to some app I have running or something else. I do not reboot my device daily w/Quick Pull as I did with my Storm2 however and the memory leak has not caused me any noticeable issues. The last time I did a reboot to upgrade an app I was around 166MB. Now after several days I am at 135MB free. I noticed it had held steady in the 165 range for several days though before I checked today.
    7250 -> 8703e -> Curve 8330 -> Storm2 9550 -> Bold 9930 -> Z10 10.2.1.2122|16GB Playbook
    CrackBerry Addict

I deleted the Social Feeds app off my 9930 and since rebooting for that the same day as my previous post I have not had any memory leak. It may just be a coincidence but that seems to have helped. I deleted because I wasn't going to use it and figured I would free up the space and this seems to be an unintended benefit.

Anyone else notice this?
    7250 -> 8703e -> Curve 8330 -> Storm2 9550 -> Bold 9930 -> Z10 10.2.1.2122|16GB Playbook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skynny70 View Post
    I deleted the Social Feeds app off my 9930 and since rebooting for that the same day as my previous post I have not had any memory leak. It may just be a coincidence but that seems to have helped. I deleted because I wasn't going to use it and figured I would free up the space and this seems to be an unintended benefit.

Anyone else notice this?

I went 26 hours without a battery pull and I leaked 52mb... Couldn't believe it. I went into my application management and saw that browser and messages were taking up the most memory. I also have social feeds too... And I love it so I most certainly hope that's not the root cause of this leak. Its bad though, I'm very disappointed. At least I start at 260mb free after a battery pull

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

It is not the Social Feed App. I still get memory leak from time to time even with it gone. I start with around 166MB and hold steady for a few days then it starts to drop. I am around 144MB now with the lowest I have noticed being 133MB.

I can't figure out how to delete unneeded languages in OS7. Anyone know how or have a link to how to do this? I would always do this in OS5 or OS4.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

It is not the Social Feed App. I still get memory leak from time to time even with it gone. I start with around 166MB and hold steady for a few days then it starts to drop. I am around 144MB now with the lowest I have noticed being 133MB.

I can't figure out how to delete unneeded languages in OS7. Anyone know how or have a link to how to do this? I would always do this in OS5 or OS4.

If you're familiar with shrinkiing an os before you load, BB Boss and/or shrink-a-os can do this for you

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

I've noticed that my 9850 seems to show a lower memory and then I'll check it say, an hour later and its back up. Maybe RIM has figured out a better way to manage memory.
    CrackBerry User

Default Delete Languages

If you still haven't got it by later today, pm me and I'll figure out how I did it. You don't need a third party app to do this. Phone's at home right now, but I believe you go into the Setup app, and it's only a matter of playing around for a few minutes before you'll figure it out...

(3rd party app would only be using for of that valuable memory you're trying to free up anyways)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    17,062 Global Posts

There are also many memory leaks in my old OS 5 from my Tour as well and in like you said OS 6 as well.

Get use to it because as long as it says BlackBerry on it there are going to be memory leaks to some degree. That is just the way it is.
    ~Jag~
    Member Of CrackBerry & Mobile Nations!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Memory leaks are still there, even with 90 MB left after leaking anoth 90 MB the phone becomes slugish and it has random hourglassing... We just have to get used to rebooting everyday

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,427 Global Posts

I don't have leaks on my 9900. If I were you, OP, I would look to apps that may cause leaks and avoid advice from anyone who actually does not own an OS 7 device.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

I deleted Social Feeds and I'm leaking alot less memory. Im also seeing it take alot longer to see any memory leaks. Before deleting I would see -30mb or more in just a few hours. It has been over 12 hours now since I had to reboot because of the facebook update, and I haven't seen more then -1mb. Looking at my log in meteryberry it -.01, +.04, -.03 ect every half an hour.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28060b1C

So which is true ? OS 7 completely fix the memory leak issue or the issue is still there but minimize ?

How long can OS7 go without the battery pull method ? I mean before the hour glass makes it appearance ?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,022 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BAFC92E

Quote Originally Posted by PredatorGanaz View Post
    So which is true ? OS 7 completely fix the memory leak issue or the issue is still there but minimize ?

How long can OS7 go without the battery pull method ? I mean before the hour glass makes it appearance ?
    Id say the issue is not with the OS 7 but third party apps, using my 9360 Ive noticed that certain apps will leak a lot of memory and fast. I installed kik messenger just for the heck of it, and to see how well it really works. When I installed it I kept a really close eye on the memory level of the handset. I have found that my memory went from about 150 MB to 88 MB free, although I do give the BlackBerry 7 handsets credit for not having performance issues when the memory dips, If I had not been monitoring my memory levels, I would have not noticed the difference. Anyways, after I uninstalled kik messenger I did a reboot, watched my apps and they didnt leak too much memory, a couple MB here and there but my phone memory would also always go back up within a couple hours or so. Since uninstalling that one memory hogging app, my phone doesnt actually lose a huge amount of memory, granted you can lose 5-10 MB but then you should regain it.

Therefore I can safely say that its not the actual OS 7 that's leaking memory, its typically some sort of app, I know a lot of us use WhatsApp, I haven't tested that one out yet but it functions in pretty much the same way as Kik Messenger and other cross platform messaging apps so my prediction is that WhatsApp should theoretically leak memory at comparable levels with Kik messenger,

Bottom line is: Third party apps is what cause the leak, the OS 7 doesnt have a terrible memory leak issue although it can appear that way depending on which apps you have installed as well as running in the background
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28060b1C

nice and logical experiment Goku_vegeta , so the culprit is from 3rd party app. And i guess thats out of RIM control .
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,022 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BAFC92E

Quote Originally Posted by PredatorGanaz View Post
    nice and logical experiment Goku_vegeta , so the culprit is from 3rd party app. And i guess thats out of RIM control .
    Correct, and thank you .

Ive got a bunch of apps made by RIM installed on my phone and those do not seem to cause a memory leak thats a major issue, again only a few MB here and there and is regained in a few hours, third party apps, specifically cross platform apps and those that run in the background is what Ive narrowed it down to so far. RIM apps don't have this issue, if RIM can make there apps like this, Im sure developers can also do this in due time.