• 1 Post By scouts36
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    PIN
    231C2B09
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Torch 9800 os 7?

Any one know if and when there will be an OS 7 upgrade for the 9800 ?
    The girl who waited

Global Posts
    1,853 Global Posts

Nope. There won't be.
    Twitter @_Miche11e_ .::. BBM Channel C0001B3B5

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your effing smartphone.
    "Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence." - Pythagoras
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    24D0495F

As Michelle said, there won't be an OS 7 upgrade for the Torch.In the latest video, RIM clearly say that OS 7 need the 1.2 Ghz processor.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,037 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

that s*cks.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andy957 View Post
    that s*cks.
    That is just the RIM way. Just like these shiny new OS7 devices will not be receiving the next OS (QNX) upgrade.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    27FFBB73

Quote Originally Posted by paso971 View Post
    As Michelle said, there won't be an OS 7 upgrade for the Torch.In the latest video, RIM clearly say that OS 7 need the 1.2 Ghz processor.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Haag View Post
    Nope. There won't be.
    Normaly RIM supports with a new OS release the last generation before native released devices. So I think yes there will be a OS7 for Torch 9800
    The girl who waited

Global Posts
    1,853 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madaley View Post
    Normaly RIM supports with a new OS release the last generation before native released devices. So I think yes there will be a OS7 for Torch 9800
    Well you can think that all you want, but that doesn't make it true. The 9800 does not have the internal specs to support BB7.
    Twitter @_Miche11e_ .::. BBM Channel C0001B3B5

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your effing smartphone.
    "Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence." - Pythagoras
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Unfortunately, this is yet another reason why RIM is no longer reliable. I bought this phone last year and about 1 year in it will be completely irrelevant. I can't stand Apple, but at least their devices get updates at least one generation deep. I've done my best to stick with a BlackBerry, but they keep doing everything in their power to lose my business. Well, it was great while it lasted. I will miss my BlackBerry but not these terrible decisions and shady business practices.

BTFan and jkrist like this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default What happened to the 9800? We Chopped meat?

I agree.... I feel kinda left out... all these new post about the new bold and nothing on the 9800 that i paid a fortune for... Iphone it is...
    BTFan and jkrist like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

I suppose its not entirely wrong. We bought the torch and have a great device. It works as promised and RIM never told us that we were garunteed every new update. That's not part of the deal. Its lame that they didn't pay extra attention to those of us who have already invested but their extra time isn't a requirement.

CrackBerry Newbie

iphone 5 for me it is because QNX still won't have a dual processor rim is done google should have bought rim maybe then there was hope...

on android you have some of the oldest phone's run the newest software same as iphone and ping isn't that special anymore so bye to my torch...
    BTFan likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

There was talk of a BlackBerry 7 'lite' in development for some of the older devices (when 6.1 turned out to be 7) it's mentioned here - http://crackberry.com/blackberry-6-1...-not-qnx-based

I'm wondering if this is still true?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    24D0495F

Might be great but im wondering if the torch will handle it (remember the 9700 with OS6)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBerry84 View Post
    There was talk of a BlackBerry 7 'lite' in development for some of the older devices (when 6.1 turned out to be 7) it's mentioned here - BlackBerry 6.1 is now named BlackBerry 7! (and no, it is not QNX based) | CrackBerry.com

I'm wondering if this is still true?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

I put an OS7 theme and the 9810's wallpaper on my 9800 and I now it does feel like I'm running OS7 minus the new processor speed ofcourse

Hup55 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I feel pretty let down - they advertised the 9800 as a flagship device, a big-deal for Blackberry, etc, so on; and one year later it's obsolete and not receiving the next software upgrade (which was originally just an update to OS6).

We KNOW the OS7 devices won't be getting QNX, so everyone this year will be in the same boat with hardware that isn't capable of supporting the following year's update.

I won't be upgrading to OS7 this year just to be trapped again; I may wait one more year for QNX or I may jump over to Window's phone when Nokia brings out their devices in the fall. I'm tired of evolution in baby-steps with dead-end devices.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_T View Post
    I feel pretty let down - they advertised the 9800 as a flagship device, a big-deal for Blackberry, etc, so on; and one year later it's obsolete and not receiving the next software upgrade (which was originally just an update to OS6).

We KNOW the OS7 devices won't be getting QNX, so everyone this year will be in the same boat with hardware that isn't capable of supporting the following year's update.

I won't be upgrading to OS7 this year just to be trapped again; I may wait one more year for QNX or I may jump over to Window's phone when Nokia brings out their devices in the fall. I'm tired of evolution in baby-steps with dead-end devices.
    Flagships last until a newer device is released... and tha happens sooner and sooner. Basically, if you want to have a real flagship for anything over 6 months since launch date... donīt buy anything! As this will never happen.

Today, OS 7 devices such as the Bold 9900 and the Torch 9810 are the top of the line devices.... next year they will become "old" devices...
    Sorry.. that is how our societty works nowadays..

Iphone 4 is old... as Iphone 5 is round the corner (I mention this just to make sure nobody blames RIM for this!!).
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

when OS8 shown, the OS7 users will thrown up. I'm like being cheated by RIM, looking to my Torch just like garbage while iPhone 4 still "owning" in my country. Bad choice for being stick with BB!
    No OS7 for your Torch <-- from RIM to their loyal customer
    No more money I will spend to your company <-- from me to RIM
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by scouts36 View Post
    Flagships last until a newer device is released... and tha happens sooner and sooner. Basically, if you want to have a real flagship for anything over 6 months since launch date... donīt buy anything! As this will never happen.

Today, OS 7 devices such as the Bold 9900 and the Torch 9810 are the top of the line devices.... next year they will become "old" devices...
    Sorry.. that is how our societty works nowadays..

Iphone 4 is old... as Iphone 5 is round the corner (I mention this just to make sure nobody blames RIM for this!!).
    iPhone 4 will get the upgrade to iOS 5 this fall, and previous blackberry generations got OS updates right up to OS6; for RIM it's only the 9800 and the OS7 devices that have started the trend towards 12 month obsolescence.

I realize no device will stay fresh forever, but when carrier contracts run 2 to 3 years I don't think it's too much to expect your handset to get full support and upgrades for at least a couple years. Of course that's a tougher order for blackberry, especially with the 9800, when the hardware was pretty much obsolete right at launch !
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,609 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH A LOAF

Since when is this abnormal behavior for corporations?
    I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's, driving home from Comp USA with 'literally' the best PC money can buy and seeing a billboard for its successor.
    I remember building a PC with a 1 gig processor, having it for a month and the 1.2 gig came out. So what's the difference? I haven't cared about this kind of thing in over a decade.....ouch! I'm old.
    PS: I remember having to wait 5 years before Star Wars came out on HBO, and it took forever for the movie Fatso to get released on video lol. Now I wait for QNX for 6 months....not so bad!

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    it on my patnaz....

Quote Originally Posted by paso971 View Post
    If thats the case than the Curve 9350/60/70 wouldn't be able to support it. It only has the 800mhz processor......
    "Active: Playbook+Bold Touch 9930"
    Retired: Pearl 8100, Curve 8320, Curve 8900, Bold 9000, Storm 9530, Storm 2 9550, Bold 9650
    Follow @Fr3shSwag

QNX "Our OS can run your OS"
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by chrismage View Post
    Any one know if and when there will be an OS 7 upgrade for the 9800 ?
    My wife did backup on Her 9810 Then I did a restore on my 9800 and everything seem to be OS 7 . It say os6 but I think I got the OS 7 on my 9800? Can anybody tell me if it happen??????
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rexh1954 View Post
    My wife did backup on Her 9810 Then I did a restore on my 9800 and everything seem to be OS 7 . It say os6 but I think I got the OS 7 on my 9800? Can anybody tell me if it happen??????
    I can confirm you still have OS6.
    • That's Phill… with 2 L's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    24D0495F

And I can confirm that you might have problems.
    It's not good to restore from an OS to another.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts
    PIN
    Secret :D

Sadly all previous devices will not be able to update to os 7, RIM even said it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    9000 -> 9700 -> 9800 -> 9900