Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New OS looks great.

Well after seeing all the high lites from the confrence in orlando, I cant wait for the new phones to come out. I figure by the time i'm do for an upgrade these will be out. Also just wanted to be the first to post on this new thread.
    CrackBerry Addict

this feels like the transition from windows vista to windows 7...i'm getting an os7 device just because i like the new lol
    R.I.P. Grandpa
    DEC-16-1936 - AUG-10-2013
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

I don't know how exciting this is. It's 7.0 because of the architecture but it should be 6.1. RIM is falling behind the ball now - has been for some time now.
    Challenge My Brute: http://weeeeee-machine.mybrute.com/
    Contact me for amazing Telus deals! Unbeatable incentives for new/bell/rogers users coming to Telus. Free handsets at launches.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,502 Global Posts

It looks great to me. With NFC, 1.2 ghz proc, mobile hotspot, 768 mb RAM...what do you want...or do you not really know the topic well?
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by D_March View Post
    It looks great to me. With NFC, 1.2 ghz proc, mobile hotspot, 768 mb RAM...what do you want...or do you not really know the topic well?
    My point exactly. Whats not to like.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    774 Global Posts

Don't forget mobile hotspot is under questioning now. They did NOT announce it during Blackberry World. As far as I know none of the CrackBerry team commented on seeing it in Florida. I hope it is there for sure, but given no one has seen it on a device outside of leaked slides, I wouldn't get too excited abot that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

The ability to customize the panes deserves the 7.0 term alone
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

They better do major rework on blackberry app world.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

Yes as the person above me said I would love to see more apps like on iphone or andriod, and I think all apps should have tags saying what model they are for so I dont accidentally try to download an app made for 9800 with my 9780 again.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

I honestly don't feel like there is enough differences between OS6 and this to deem it a totally new OS, they should've just stuck with 6.1 or if they wanted to call it OS7, get QNX ready to roll out on these next gen phones.
    Gadget enthusiast
    CrackBerry Abuser

I was watching YouTube videos of swype on android phones & thought to myself 'some of this could be implemented into OS7.'

It would be nice if text that's inputted was clickable.

Once clicked it'll bring up alternate words that it predicts you may have intended to type.

It could underline mispelled* words with a wavy red line.

Quote Originally Posted by pdelong View Post
    I honestly don't feel like there is enough differences between OS6 and this to deem it a totally new OS, they should've just stuck with 6.1 or if they wanted to call it OS7, get QNX ready to roll out on these next gen phones.
    I think calling it OS7 is ok because it has touch support and Liquid Graphics & uses a Graphics Prossessing Unit(GPU). Do other Blackberries have GPUs? I don't know.

I heard someone say that 256 Mbs of the RAM was for graphics. Does this mean that space for apps on the 99xx would be on par with Blackberry devices with 512 Mbs of RAM but without GPUs? Or do all phones have GPUs?
    Last edited by blue81to; 05-18-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    PIN
    Stay. Calm.

Hey all,

Just wanted to clarify something... the 765 MB of RAM is just RAM (processing memory) that's it! The 9900/9930 also has 8GB of built in STORAGE space for apps! Most people overlooking this because it's not a standard for RIM.

Also, to look at RIMs reasoning for the OS7 branding over 6.1 comes down to several factors:
    1) Liquid Graphics
    2) User Interface Improvements (such as homescreen pane customization)
    3) OpenGL
    4) Added integration for cutting edge hardware (1.2 ghz GPU, NFC, magnetomer, etc)

Remember, just because a UI looks similar, doesn't mean its not a HUGE upgrade, there is a lot to look at under the hood. You will find that UI rarely changes (across all platforms) because the UI is what brings familiarity and comfort of use to the user.
    BlackBerry addiction is no laughing matter... he eh eh eh...
    CrackBerry Abuser

I've never had a Blackberry before so how BBOS works is still new to me. In other posts people have said that 8 GB of built in storage will not mean that it'll hold 8 GB worth of apps. The 9000 had 1 or 2 GB of built in storage(I forget how much) but it couldn't hold a GB worth of apps. It seems to me that Blackberries have 2 different types of internal storage. Is that how it works?

Global Posts
    6,303 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Quote Originally Posted by pdelong View Post
    There is as much justification as there is for Google advancing the Chrome browser 6 versions in just ONE year. Lol. Point is version numbers can be meaningless.

Global Posts
    6,303 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Quote Originally Posted by Draconianfire83 View Post
    Hey all,

Just wanted to clarify something... the 765 MB of RAM is just RAM (processing memory) that's it! The 9900/9930 also has 8GB of built in STORAGE space for apps! Most people overlooking this because it's not a standard for RIM.

Also, to look at RIMs reasoning for the OS7 branding over 6.1 comes down to several factors:
    1) Liquid Graphics
    2) User Interface Improvements (such as homescreen pane customization)
    3) OpenGL
    4) Added integration for cutting edge hardware (1.2 ghz GPU, NFC, magnetomer, etc)

Remember, just because a UI looks similar, doesn't mean its not a HUGE upgrade, there is a lot to look at under the hood. You will find that UI rarely changes (across all platforms) because the UI is what brings familiarity and comfort of use to the user.
    Liquid Graphics is 60 fps refresh on the video. That's pretty cool and a major change.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hey I was just wondering will os 7 support flash?

CrackBerry Abuser

No flash for OS 7.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

never mind
    Last edited by pdelong; 05-20-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Gadget enthusiast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    PIN
    K FLOYD forever!

Quote Originally Posted by soren203 View Post
    Yes as the person above me said I would love to see more apps like on iphone or andriod, and I think all apps should have tags saying what model they are for so I dont accidentally try to download an app made for 9800 with my 9780 again.
    Please understand that everything you just griped about is the fault of app manufacturers, not RIM. RIM just approves apps. Whether or not they're created, and how well they're explained, is up to third-party developers.
    Thanked by:
    Phil DeLong (05-20-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyCombine View Post
    Please understand that everything you just griped about is the fault of app manufacturers, not RIM. RIM just approves apps. Whether or not they're created, and how well they're explained, is up to third-party developers.
    You can't say it's not RIM's fault if developers don't want to make apps for Blackberry. RIM make's the OS and solicit developers. Developers don't make apps for Google & Apple mobile devices just out of happenstance.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    PIN
    K FLOYD forever!

Quote Originally Posted by blue81to View Post
    You can't say it's not RIM's fault if developers don't want to make apps for Blackberry. RIM make's the OS and solicit developers. Developers don't make apps for Google & Apple mobile devices just out of happenstance.
    BlackBerry OS is written in Java, one of the world's most popular programming languages. There's no shortage of programmers, and the platform is just as easy to code for as it is for iOS or Android (which are written in C/C++ and C, respectively). However, there's a problem with two things: image and profitability.

On the fiscal side of things, a developer who programs for iOS or Android has a massive potential client base - BlackBerries tend to be used by business professionals who aren't too tech-savvy, they tend not be used for gaming (which cuts out a huge chunk of developers), and they're generally shipped with complete functionality and customization built in (unlike iPhone, which has quite a bit of stuff locked down). That's why there's not too big of a draw for developers to come to App World.

And there's always image - people just don't see BlackBerries as gaming phones, which is what a frightening percentage of users use as a rationalization over which phone to pick. Even though the next-gen BlackBerries (starting with the Storm/Storm 2) are completely gaming-compatible, there's still that image of BlackBerry being the businessman's phone, Android being the geek's toy, and iPhone being the hipster's gold nugget.

That's why I believe most developers aren't keen on App World and BB OS development. Of course, generalization is pointless, but those are the overlying issues - I think, if RIM can keep shaping up their game and releasing more-and-more-polished devices, they'll come back as a force to be reckoned with.
    Thanked by 2:
    blue81to (05-22-2011),  chuckwalla (07-03-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

CuddlyCombine thanks for the response.

A lot of games need touch screens & accelerometers which most Blackberries don't have. The 99xx need to get Angry Birds. That would send a message that RIM is serious about app developement.

Another thing that I think is holding Blackberry apps back is the lack of space. I've never had a Blackberry before but I've read that the number of apps you can have on a device is constrained compared to iOS & Android devices. Right now I have 99 apps on my iPhone 3g. At one time I had 170+ but I deleted a lot of the ones I don't use.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    PIN
    K FLOYD forever!

CuddlyCombine thanks for the response.

A lot of games need touch screens & accelerometers which most Blackberries don't have. The 99xx need to get Angry Birds. That would send a message that RIM is serious about app developement.

Another thing that I think is holding Blackberry apps back is the lack of space. I've never had a Blackberry before but I've read that the number of apps you can have on a device is constrained compared to iOS & Android devices. Right now I have 99 apps on my iPhone 3g. At one time I had 170+ but I deleted a lot of the ones I don't use.

No problem, I'm always glad to discuss the issue - I won't try to hide the fact that I prefer BlackBerries, but I admit that they have shortcomings in certain fields compared to the other major players.

Though newer BBs are coming out with accelerometers, they'll still be a bit slower on the gaming uptake as RIM is probably the newest platform out there in terms of gaming. They've got their business side of things down, but they're just beginning to test the waters of more-casual applications.

As for app space, it's up to how many apps you want to have installed; my Torch has 312 MB of free space remaining for app storage. That translates to roughly 200 or so apps, provided they're not large in size. Most apps are around 1.5 MB. Will I ever use that many? No, not really. I'm fine with the eight applications I use daily. But some people use more, and newer phones do accommodate for that. Older BlackBerries did have that problem, though; my old Storm 1 only had 64 MB of application memory, most of which was taken up by the OS, leaving me with about 10 MB to play with. Not the best thing.

As long as RIM keeps the platform open like they have been, developers should begin to warm up to the possibility of getting stuff out onto this market. For now, it's still more-or-less a testbed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

I was watching YouTube videos of swype on android phones & thought to myself 'some of this could be implemented into OS7.'

It would be nice if text that's inputted was clickable.

Once clicked it'll bring up alternate words that it predicts you may have intended to type.

It could underline mispelled* words with a wavy red line.
    sorry off topic, but os6 kinda does this if you change your spell check options to "check as you type", except the word is underlined by dashes instead if this wavy red line. Still, when you type and misspell a word, you can click it and a list of words you may have intended to type pops up

on topic, I don't think it matters what number the new os is called, it could be os514 if thats what RIM wants to call it, the name/number doesn't change anything about the features or performance
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    PIN
    22DDD94D

I'm very exited for the OS. As much as I hate to admit it, the whole 7 makes sense. Its not that just os has quite a few improvements, its also the fact that the hardware specs are getting a huge overhaul and options that never before were on a blackberry device.
    Oh and the storage is only 712 mbs rom. If you look closer at the tech demo videos, you will see a capture of the screen that shows the break down of apps installed, the total memory was 712 mbs. So no luck there yet. However, I'm sure this generation is going to be upgraded to QNX, so the 8 GBs is not just becuase rim didn't want to throw in a memory card, its a build in memory required for QNX. Current Java uses rom memory rather then build in storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast