Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By zocster
  • 1 Post By Soul_Est
  • 1 Post By bratrazvan
  • 1 Post By belfastdispatcher
  • 2 Post By madcat72
  • 1 Post By Soul_Est
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Bold 9780 or Bold 9790?

I've only used the Bold 9700 up until I gave it to my mother to replace the cellphone that she was using. Now I'm stuck with a Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray and I find it it lacking for communication. I had looked into the BlackBerry Q10 and Z10 but they are out of my budget. I then looked into the 9780 and 9790. As far as pros and cons go, this is my list:

9780:
    PROs:
    • Great battery life
    • Uses the same casing as the 9700 (easily repairable)
    • Very inexpensive (a group of four working models can go for less than $100 CDN)
    • Can use with currently owned accessories

CONs:
    • No Wireless-A and Wireless-N support
    • No NFC
    • Slower hardware
    • OS 6 only

9790:
    PROs:
    • Faster hardware
    • Wireless-A and Wireless-N support
    • NFC
    • OS 7 and 7.1

CONs:
    • Much reduced battery life compared to the 9780
    • Incompatible with currently owned accessories
    • Much higher cost ($50+ CDN for one)
    • May need a second battery to get through the day

As you can see, my lists of pros and cons are pretty much even. While I would appeciate the 9790 for the face that its performance and hardware specifications rivals or exceeds that of my Xperia Ray, I value battery life and repairability as well.

And so I must ask, "What say you? Woul you recommend I go with the inexpensive, long-running, easily repairable 9780, or the more expensive, faster, better connected 9790?"

Also for those that have owned either phone, how did you like it?

Global Posts
    9,268 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AD743B7

Welcome to CrackBerry, Soul_Est! First and foremost both requires BlackBerry Internet Service from your carrier. Personally as I have a 9900, I would go with the 9790. If you are using it for emails mostly, and BBM and minor social media stuff, you'd be surprise how long the battery lasts. Leave your xperia ray for media things.
    Thanked by:
    Soul_Est (04-08-2014) 
    Soul_Est and Donnierock like this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you very much for the warm welcome zocster! I'm sure that I'll have no issue with BIS although I may forgo it due to the data plan I have. After a year with the 9700, I understand fully how to use much of it's functionality without BIS.

I will actually have the 9780 or 9790 replace the Xperia Ray entirely. The only things I 've really used the Xperia Ray for were song identification (SoundHound), music, and web browsing as typing on it is a chore on the phone and manually controlling music playback while the phone is in my pocket is impossible with respect to Play/Pause/Stop.
    Donnierock likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Get a q5? Is it an option?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just bought a 9790 and this Phone an os it's incredibil i love os 7 and i have Q5 for 7 months

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Anyway forzza chelsea from the biggest fan from Romania, Constanta

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by stlabrat View Post
    Get a q5? Is it an option?

Posted via CB10
    Tried it and it's okay but I prefer having a removable battery and the keyboards on the Bold series of devices.

Quote Originally Posted by bratrazvan View Post
    I just bought a 9790 and this Phone an os it's incredibil i love os 7 and i have Q5 for 7 months

Posted via CB10
    How do you like the 9790 compared to the Q5 in terms of the feel of the keyboards?

Anyway forzza chelsea from the biggest fan from Romania, Constanta

Posted via CB10
    Mulțumesc mult bratravan for adding contributing to the discussion!
    CrackBerry Abuser

9790 its fantastic for email for social network campared to os 10

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I've owned the 9780 and it's great I love the bold line of phones I didn't care too much for the look of the 9790 but os7 is great plus u can turn off the scrolling to different views which I found annoying on my 9780. I never used anything other the the all view anyway. So 9790 only for the updated hard and software

Posted via CB10 2B9B56E1
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by diggs007 View Post
    I've owned the 9780 and it's great I love the bold line of phones I didn't care too much for the look of the 9790 but os7 is great plus u can turn off the scrolling to different views which I found annoying on my 9780. I never used anything other the the all view anyway. So 9790 only for the updated hard and software

Posted via CB10 2B9B56E1
    Thank you for your contribution. This why I asked the community after all the research into OS 6 vs OS 7 and the 9780 vs 9790.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The keyboard its far better on Q5

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

My wife has the 9790 and it's a brilliant phone, if anything I find it too thin, put a case on it.

Funny, I offered her my iphone 5 for it and she categorically refused lol.

#believeinfilm
    Donnierock likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

The keyboard its far better on Q5

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for this. Unfortunately, a Q5 costs about as much as a Z10 here: $200 CDN.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    My wife has the 9790 and it's a brilliant phone, if anything I find it too thin, put a case on it.

Funny, I offered her my iphone 5 for it and she categorically refused lol.

#believeinfilm
    I'll keep that in mind about the case. thank you for the heads up.

I've finally decided to get the 9790 as a 9780 costs about as much as it. I don't know what is with sellers on Craigslist and Kijiji as many are pricing their phones way too high. A three year old phone shouldn't cost over $150 CDN (9790 and 9900) when a one and a half year old phone costs $200 CDN (Z10). I'm lucky to have found the 9790 in "good condition" for $50 CDN. Now I just have to see what "good condition" means.

UPDATE: The 9790 I was looking was sold earlier. I'm currently looking at either a 9790 for $65 CDN or a 9780 for $50 CDN. Did some reading up on the 9790 and many have constant reboot issues as the battery doesn't sit tight against the battery contacts.
    Last edited by Soul_Est; 04-09-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

personally i think OS7 is much better than OS6, i would chose the 9790. Battery life of the 9790 is definitely not has good but overall performance the 9790 wins.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    stlabrat and Soul_Est like this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

I definitely agree with you on that madcat72. I'm currently looking into extended batteries for the 9790. If I find that is reasonably priced, I'll pull the trigger on the 9790.
    CrackBerry User

9780 better for sure
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by madcat72 View Post
    personally i think OS7 is much better than OS6, i would chose the 9790. Battery life of the 9790 is definitely not has good but overall performance the 9790 wins.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by ynak View Post
    9780 better for sure
    And I agree with the both of you. As such, I have been trying to find an extended battery for the 9790 as I had found a 9790 without a battery for $50 CDN. I've also found a 9900 for $80 CDN but I'm still hung up on the battery like I am with the 9790. Right now, I have my old 9700 at my desk to test rendering speed while web browsing using Opera Mini.

UPDATE: Rendering speed is pretty good. I know that the 9790 would be faster but Opera Mini removes that discrepancy mostly. Can't seem to use Enter key to generate a newline while in a text field. Now on to test the keyboard more.

UPDATE 2: After testing the keyboard and asking around, I've decided on the 9900. It'll cost more and has a better keyboard for typing on.
    Last edited by Soul_Est; 04-12-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77

I was just going to suggest the 9900. If you are doing mostly emails and social media, with the updated operating system, you should get most of a day's use. I have won two 9900s for betwen 55 and 75 dollars canadian on ebay canada. Both of these units are quite clean, with some scratches, but functionally goodl.
    Good luck on your purchase. I am sure you will not be unhappy with these choices. Of course, if you absolutely want a 9780, I could part with my unlocked (originally on Rogers) white one for what I paid for it (29.00 plus shipping)
    Q 10 for the win!
    (WHITE Z 10, on 10.2.1.537 and Nexus 4, both sold)
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi
    Galaxy tab P 1000 with cyanagen 9
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by jakie55 View Post
    I was just going to suggest the 9900. If you are doing mostly emails and social media, with the updated operating system, you should get most of a day's use. I have won two 9900s for betwen 55 and 75 dollars canadian on ebay canada. Both of these units are quite clean, with some scratches, but functionally goodl.
    Good luck on your purchase. I am sure you will not be unhappy with these choices. Of course, if you absolutely want a 9780, I could part with my unlocked (originally on Rogers) white one for what I paid for it (29.00 plus shipping)
    Thank you for the well wishes and the offer for the 9780. I will hopefully be getting the 9900 this week. The next three weeks are to be spent setting it up and testing it. The 9900 will become my primary device in May as I've sorted out my cellular plan for then.
    Thanked by:
    jakie55 (04-14-2014) 
    jakie55 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77

how was your luck in getting a new to you Bold?
    Q 10 for the win!
    (WHITE Z 10, on 10.2.1.537 and Nexus 4, both sold)
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi
    Galaxy tab P 1000 with cyanagen 9
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    669 Global Posts

I had a 9780 corporate owned phone. Hated it especially since my personal device was a Z30. It was too slow at browsing, app choices were limited. Needless to say, when my employer upgraded my 9780 to a Z10 (had Q10 as an option), I was delighted. I could never go back to it now.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141/Telus
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Quote Originally Posted by jakie55 View Post
    how was your luck in getting a new to you Bold?
    I was quite lucky to get mine in good condition (couple of scratches) and also with a couple holsters and chargers
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    I had a 9780 corporate owned phone. Hated it especially since my personal device was a Z30. It was too slow at browsing, app choices were limited. Needless to say, when my employer upgraded my 9780 to a Z10 (had Q10 as an option), I was delighted. I could never go back to it now.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141/Telus
    Well, I got the 9900 instead. A bit big for one-handed use but I wouldn't trade it for any of the 97-Series phones.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts

Surprised you found a comparable deal for it, as the 9900 was, and still is one of my favourite phones and is an excellent choice that will last some time to come. My workplace and my dad's still regularly deploys them to their employees over BB10 options. 9780 shouldn't have even been considered, phone is far long into the stone ages and while OS7 isn't a quantum leap from 6, it at least has a sniff of a chance of receiving some maintenance updates as they are still rolling with it.