Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Is there a OS 6 guide that shows benefits per build?

Hi all. I have a Torch 9800 and as everyone else here I would like to install the best possible OS. I see that here on Crackberry is listed the latest worldwide build for each device, but as we all know latest doesn't necessarily means best depending on what each individual finds more important. Something else, if I go to the main Rim website and do a search for the latest build available for my phone from my Carrier, it shows BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.1907, but the latest shown here in Crackberry is BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.3106. What does this means?, that the one offered for my specific carrier (the carrier is even on the file's name) will work better for my phone, even though is old, or anyway should I explore the latest one, even though if from a Korean carrier? All in all, I would like to know if there is a guide that shows each build's benefits. I've done a lot of search but couldn't find one. Thanks!!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Nope. Only change logs I have ever seen were from Verizon's own website.

Higher the build, the newer the release. There is nothing stopping you from updating your OS to another carrier's version (different build), but be mindful that sometimes, some of the features you may be used to with your current build may not be available (Automatic network selection, etc...) from another carrier's version.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

thanks a lot for the info. I went ahead and installed an updated one from another carrier and phone seems to be working faster. I though that maybe some files would be missing that would make the phone work better if you didn't install the one from the carrier. Thanks for the advice!
    CrackBerry Genius

All OS files are the same regardless of which carrier provides it. Every OS install file has all services, languages and related modules needed for every carrier BB is on - that's why the file itself is so darned big. The only thing added by a carrier is the "vendor.xml" file to associate the install with only the devices from that carrier through the vendor ID number baked into the phone.

Of course, this is the file you have to delete to load an OS from a carrier different from yours.

Digging deeper into the OS install files, there is a file called "blackberry.alx" that is basically a text file listing all the files to load. That file also determines any carrier specific modules to load based on the vendor ID in the phone. For example, it will load the basic theme cod file, then vendor specific theme cod file based on vendor. If you have an AT&T phone, the vendor ID is 102, and you get the default AT&T theme with AT&T logo background. On T-Mobile, the vendor number is 100 and you get the T-Mobile background file instead. AT&T gets additional files for it's online address book syncing (Telekom has a similar function, apparently, using vendor number 114). And T-Mobile gets files for UMA calling features.

This is why you still get carrier specific stuff on your phone regardless of where you got the OS from. However, bloatware - those added icons on the homescreen for additional apps and such - don't come from the OS. Those are sent to the phone via service books from the carrier. Service books also provide, or remove certain other functions that are not set by the OS install directly.

The biggest part of the file is geared for loading language specific files - and there are a lot to go through since the "multi-language" install files have to account for almost every language possible.
    CrackBerry Genius

To the original question, Oniberry is right. I've never seen any change logs with new OS builds. Never knew that Verizon at least had something. You just had to read through the forums to find out. Very little really changed noticeably. Some things for OS 6 that did change over time were things like: adding the yellow pulsing effect to the lightning bolt on the battery indicator while charging, changing the option wording when in the "Manage Connections" settings, and how the phone button works when on a contact and there is more than one number associated or on the call screen.

Joel