Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Problem dialing from home screen in OS6

When I try to dial from home screen in OS6 (9780) it always leaves the first number I type off. It shows up as a letter in the universal search field but in the dialing line below it, it only shows the last 9 of the 10 digit phone number i typed.

For eg: if I were to type 123-456-7890 and hit send, it would try to call 234-567-890 and obviously fail......quite annoying.

If I want to dail from home screen I have to it the first number twice. e.g: 1123-456-7890 and then if I hit send it will actually call the number, or else I have to hit phone and then start typing. I know its not huge, but an annoying extra step none the less.

Is there any way to get around this without disabling universal search?
    Last edited by djphotography; 03-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Ive seen several posts about not being able to dial from the homescreen. I don't believe that any version of os6 has solved that problem yet. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PJNERO View Post
    Ive seen several posts about not being able to dial from the homescreen. I don't believe that any version of os6 has solved that problem yet. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm using .448 and I can dial from the home screen with no problems.
    We have clearance, Clarence.
    Roger, Roger.
    What's our vector, Victor?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    10,086 Global Posts

I dial from the home screen without any problems.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

If you dial a number you should press the green call button first, dial from homescreen is really for quickly finding people in your contacts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    If you dial a number you should press the green call button first, dial from homescreen is really for quickly finding people in your contacts.

I'm curious why that's the case. I press the green button, because I have dial from home screen disabled, but that's because I'm a keyboard shortcut user. Why would someone want to use dial from home screen in the fashion you describe? I mean, all one has to do is look in the address book to search for a contact ...

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by Tõnis View Post
    I'm curious why that's the case. I press the green button, because I have dial from home screen disabled, but that's because I'm a keyboard shortcut user. Why would someone want to use dial from home screen in the fashion you describe? I mean, all one has to do is look in the address book to search for a contact ...

I'm the same as you, I meant if you want to dial an actual phone number that you don't have in your address book, if you have dial from homescreen enabled it first searches for contact names, that's what is for really. We, shortcut users, are used to pressing the call button to dial the numbers anyway.

You probably know this but shortcut A brings up your address book or you can hold down the Call button too.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

Makes sense. Gotta love the shortcuts! And don't forget, "c" brings up compose, if it's an email you want to send. "A" and "c" each have slightly different options that come up; "a" presents "find" up at the top, and "c" presents "to" and "use once" in the first line.)

Last edited by Tõnis; 03-14-2011 at 09:38 AM.

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by Tõnis View Post
    Makes sense. Gotta love the shortcuts! And don't forget, "c" brings up compose, if it's an email you want to send. "A" and "c" each have slightly different options that come up; "a" presents "find" up at the top, and "c" presents "to" and "use once" in the first line.)

Lol, took me nearly a year to discover the shortcuts and I haven't looked back since. Most used are M, B and L. If you use yahoo messenger and gtalk they will take up Y and G.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by princebb View Post
    I dial from the home screen without any problems.
    I used to think I could too, but I noticed the same problem as the OP. Maybe something in one of the custom themes I created, not sure.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

For me, dialing from the homescreen, means just dialing the number, and it starts to display on the screen before you hit the send button. Not every number you're dialing will be in your contacts list.

I'm running .480, and on my phone, it doesn't matter how many numbers you push, it won't go from the home screen, to the phone screen.

Why is it considered a shortcut to have to hit the send button, look for a number that may or may not be there, then dial?
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

Why is it considered a shortcut to have to hit the send button, look for a number that may or may not be there, then dial?
    It works the same way it works when you dial from the home screen. You just hit the send button first, then start dialing (or typing a name) the same way you would from the home screen.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

For me, dialing from the homescreen, means just dialing the number, and it starts to display on the screen before you hit the send button. Not every number you're dialing will be in your contacts list.

I'm running .480, and on my phone, it doesn't matter how many numbers you push, it won't go from the home screen, to the phone screen.

Like the OP, for me the first digit of the number doesn't show - all the rest appear. So the call fails. I could have sworn at one point with OS6 it was working OK, only thing I changed was the theme (home-made).
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Isn't the homescreen the screen with all the shortcuts/icons?

On my 8900 I could dial directly from there. Just dial. Not have to activate, or open anything.

Now, you have to press the send button, BEFORE you dial, then dial, then press the send button again.

Still not seeing how adding an extra step to the process is an improvement
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

It's not. It has to be a bug if it's working like that.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

To those with this problem on version 6, is your screen ON when you start to dial? I mean, are you having to hit the first number twice because the first press of the button lights the screen?

Also, I find that when dialing any contact, if I start with a letter that is also one of the number keys, it will treat it like entering a phone number. The contacts will still start to appear below, but I'll have to scroll down to them. For example, I have a contact "Fred." When I start to dial Fred, 6325 shows up, and I'll have to scroll down to Fred. If I dial "Peter," it goes right to Peter. Seems like normal behavior, all off this.

PIN
    27F48177

Isn't this how all mobile phones always worked when it came to dialing a number not stored in the contacts list? Those of us that disabled dial from homescreen have to do it anyway as every letter is now a shortcut to an app.

Also Tonis made a good point, is your screen on when you press the first number? First press on any button first turns the screen on.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

In my instance, the first keypress is not recognized for number dialing, whether the screen is "lit up" or not. Here is the way my OS6 9650 reacts to dialing 732-555-1212:

The "7" (first digit) is clearly recognized - it's the "z" in the search box, but the dial box beneath it doesn't capture it.

I'm going to try an experiment and go back to the OEM OS6 theme on the phone and see if it works any differently. I thought at one time it was working right and the only thing I can think of that changed (other than various app installations) was that I went from the OEM theme to a custom theme.

Global Posts
    30,818 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I'm on a 9650 and on version 6.0.0.443 and I'm not having this problem.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

It's the theme. I put the Verizon .431 theme back on the phone and all digits are recognized when dialing from the home screen. Put my custom theme back on and back to having the first digit not recognized.

Created the theme myself as a "custom6" style in ThemeBuilder, but don't recall any options that would affect this...

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

^^ This. custom theme problem, because it's not a blackberry6 style theme. It opens a new screen for universal search and likely the first keypress is not carried over to the new screen.

No way around it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    ^^ This. custom theme problem, because it's not a blackberry6 style theme. It opens a new screen for universal search and likely the first keypress is not carried over to the new screen.

No way around it.
    As I figured. Too bad, my custom theme was designed to mimic OS6 but with only a single tray (can't stand the multiple trays). This is about the only thing that hasn't worked well at this point... Fingers crossed for 6.1?

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Just need a new theme builder version, that's all.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Yes. My screen is lit. You can press numbers till your fingers bleed, it won't bring up the phone screen until you press teh green send button first.

Again, with my last phone, on os5, you didn't have to do that. You could just dial the number -even if the screen was off.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post

No way around it.
    Do you know if there is a way around this problem now? New theme builder version etc?

I really dislike the new 'stock' os6 style themes... But am also frustrated with this problem of dialing from the homescreen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast