Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default OS 6 on Bold 9700 - Should I?

Now that OS 6 has been out for a while, I am considering upgrading my Bold 9700. However, I am worried about memory: there are a number of apps I use constantly and I am afraid that they will slow down on OS 6. I'm with Rogers so I think that the OS would be 6.0.0.448.

I was going to upgrade my 9700 to a newer device but the 9700 is working well and, if I get a new one now, I will have to wait 6 mos or more before upgrading to the new devices that will use QNX (Rogers allows device upgrades at the upgrade price w/o add'l charges after you have had one for a year).

So my questions are:

1. Are there any really good reasons to upgrade to OS 6?
    2. Are there any reasons to stay away from OS 6?

Thanks very much,

John
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Qill tip please

I have a Bold 9700 running os6 as well. my opinion is this. OS 6 isnt as "snappy" on the 9700 as it is the 9800. With that being said, i have several apps on that phone and it is working well. The web browser is so much better in os 6, it makes the os 5 browser hide in shame. The universal search feature is awesome as well.

Battery life for me between the two is about the same. I hope this helps some with your decision
    Thanked by:
    johnm243 (08-01-2011) 
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,201 Global Posts

what you should do next time is search the forums and read the other nine thousand threads on this

all your answers are already on CB.
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks MikeyG, exactly the kind of insight I was looking for!

Fubaz: maybe you have time to look through nine thousand threads in order to find exactly what you're looking for. I don't ... so I asked a question!

If anyone else has comments on the 9700 and OS 6, I would appreciate hearing from them.

John
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

I just upgraded my 9700/5.0.0.979 (ATT) to 9700/6.0.0.526 and I have to say I am glad I did.

For starters, I am a HUGE web browser. So far the web loads a TON faster. I did have to give up column view though. I am not a big fan of the native browser, but since I can't figure out how to change my default browser to Opera Mini, I just live with it.

Opera mini now works - Opera Mini was VERY laggy on my .979; thus I didn't use Opera Mini as a web browser on my .979.
    When I reboot, I have approximately 58MB of application memory. Then in about 2-3 hours my phone drops to 27MB. Then down to 25MB after 2-3 days. I know low memory isn't good; however, I see no negative impact on performance. I don't have too many apps just:
    Scoremobile,
    BerryWeather,
    FB 2.0,
    UberSocial,
    Blackberry Maps,
    Opera Mini,
    Pandora,
    Amazon MP3,
    Berry Buzz,
    Bible,
    BlackBerry Traffic,
    BuddyGuard,
    Crackberry (which may uninstall because the browser is just as fast),
    Ebay,
    Google Maps,
    QuickLaunch,
    Poynt and
    Scrabble

I feel this is a great OS.

One unexpected change was in my trackpad sensitivity. Since installing 9700/6.0.0.526 if I just "put" my thum on the trackpad, it reads it as a "press". This is new and my phone is only 1 year old.

The only reason I did it is novelty. I wanted something new that's all.

The only reason not to, your fear of having too many apps that would eat too much application memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    johnm243 (08-01-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks Judson. I took a look at Application Memory. With all of my primary apps loaded, I have 66.5 MB free. The last time I restarted was Friday night after updating an app. After restarting today, I had 70.5 MB free.

Does OS 6 tend to leak memory? If so, I'm not sure I want to go down the OS 6 road: I don't want to get into the situation I had with my Bold 9000 - the OS I had on it had memory leaks and I had an app with a local DB. I had to restart the 9000 every day or it would get so slow as to be unusable when memory dropped too low!

John
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

John,

Unfortunately, yes OS 6 has memory leaks. I lose around 30 MB.

Thanked by:
    johnm243 (08-02-2011) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,324 Global Posts

I'd say go for it, the pros outweigh the cons. Universal search, the browser, the music player, the long press menu, among other, are great features of OS6.
    Thanked by:
    johnm243 (08-02-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Thanks Guatiao. The only feature you mentioned that is *really* interesting to me is Universal search. And, after Judson mentioned memory leaks, I cannot get out of my mind the constant restarts of my Bold 9000 ... and waiting a couple of minutes for it to restart during the day if I forgot to restart it in the morning!

John

CrackBerry Abuser

I went back to OS5 because it has a better week view in Calendar. Besides email I live in Calendar and Tasks. I see RIM uses the same OS6 Calendar in OS7 so I won't be upgrading handsets anytime soon.

What I really miss in OS6 in the fast, easy to read Webkit Browser, Social Feeds (including News feed), and the modern interface.

Now I'm back on OS5 I avoid the Browser and hardly check Twitter or Facebook. Maybe that makes me more productive but it's less fun.
    Thanked by:
    johnm243 (08-02-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Thanks Rob. Calendar isn't a problem for me: we are Maximizer CRM business partners and it has an app for the BB that integrates directly with my Maximizer CRM Calendar and Hotlist (Tasks)...

Social Networks are important to me and I use FB, Twitter and LinkedIN. In fact, one of the reasons I became interested in OS 6 is to be able to run the Google + app, which doesn't run on OS 5.

The memory leak issue really bothers me so I think I'm going to stay away from OS 6.

Thanks to all for their comments and experiences,

John

CrackBerry Newbie

i hav upgraded my bold 9700 os 5 to os 6. But it is really slow and often it asks me to delete some of my softwares i have only selected ones and it also asks me to del Languages>> plz help me ASAP>i hav upgraded it thru my pc... will be very greatfull
    CrackBerry Newbie

plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz help me plz help me
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Sabeel: I found a number of threads by searching for "revert to old os". Here is one of them: Revert back to OS5 from OS6?

Personally, I only run OS's that are supported by my carrier for my device. So I would download from the carrier's web site if I was you.

Good luck!

John
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    PIN
    290FB937

I recently upgraded to the latest version of OS6 and it seems my memory leaks are a lot less. Thankfully.
    CrackBerry User

I just upgraded my 9700 to OS6 and I haven't seen any of the same problems others have experience due to low memory etc. I think it's just fine.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    25F7B69F

just upgraded my 9700 to os 6 runs amazingly well....i got it from at&t n shrunk it so i dont face any memory problems.
    The phone is pretty snappy!!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    21D91A42

I'm usin os5 and want to upgrade to os6 on my bold 9700,my phone doesn't have any carrier except that of the sim activated on it,can I upgrade to any os6 of any carrier?
    CrackBerry Newbie

upgrade i recommend alot, im running os 6 on my 9700 and i also shrunk the os before installing and its running smooth had no problems so far at all, well worth the work i done