Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    PIN
    30B75E62
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Force a load to OS6 without activation

I'm being told that the only way that I can get a new 9650 that I just got from VZW to have OS6 on it is to activate it on their network first, then do it wirelessly. THEN, I would be able to load it using DM.

Does anyone know if I can force the load of OS6 WITHOUT having to have the device activated? I find it hard to believe that RIM would make is to that the device has to be activated on the carrier BEFORE you can upgrade the OS to a newer one, especially doing it wirelessly.

Please let me know...
    EAGLES BABY!!! As long as they are in front of the Cowboys, that's all that matters!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!

Options ~> Advanced Options ~> Host Routing Table ~> Blackberry Button ~> Register Now

Options ~> Advanced Options ~> Wireless Update

If it were me I would read up on these Hybrid OS's and decide which one is best and use that. The official operating systems are very large and cause performance issues on the Blackberry's because of the limited app space. WillyBoy has a great rep for making nice OS's and the OS with the 7.0 files sounds interesting.

www.driphter.com/9650-hybrids

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by olblueyez; 10-13-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

Just install any OS6 Build for the Bold on your computer then use Apploader to install instead of Desktop manager...problem solved
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by Culex316 View Post
    Just install any OS6 Build for the Bold on your computer then use Apploader to install instead of Desktop manager...problem solved
    IIRC, the device must be activated to install BB6. It's not as simple as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
    Options ~> Advanced Options ~> Host Routing Table ~> Blackberry Button ~> Register Now

Options ~> Advanced Options ~> Wireless Update

If it were me I would read up on these Hybrid OS's and decide which one is best and use that. The official operating systems are very large and cause performance issues on the Blackberry's because of the limited app space. WillyBoy has a great rep for making nice OS's and the OS with the 7.0 files sounds interesting.

Hybrids

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01 View Post
    I'm being told that the only way that I can get a new 9650 that I just got from VZW to have OS6 on it is to activate it on their network first, then do it wirelessly. THEN, I would be able to load it using DM.

Does anyone know if I can force the load of OS6 WITHOUT having to have the device activated? I find it hard to believe that RIM would make is to that the device has to be activated on the carrier BEFORE you can upgrade the OS to a newer one, especially doing it wirelessly.

Please let me know...
    If you just got your 9650, it should have BB6 on it already, they stopped shipping them OS5 quite a while ago. You can try wiping the device to the 507 Error screen and then loading BB6.

Why is it hard to believe that they want you to have an activate blackberry data plan before they let you use their software?
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 10-14-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN

Here are a few Hybrid OS's you can try, they are pre-reduced and only need installing on your computer. Backup your Device Using DM before you do anything.

http://driphter.com/index.php?topic=647.0

http://driphter.com/index.php?action...view;down=1025

http://driphter.com/index.php?action...=view;down=967

Yeah, you need to forget what they told you at the store. Backup your device using DM "Blackberry Desktop Manager". Install BBHTools on your computer. Use BBSAK to wipe the device, BBSAK needs to be downloaded separately but it can be accessed through BBHTools. Download and install the OS of your choice onto your computer, only one OS at a time installed on your computer. Delete the vendor.xml files in the apploader folder and OS Java folder.

BBHTool (Public Version) - Downloads - BBH-Plus Forums

BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...C3B8148D7A897F <~~ Latest Offical OS (Yeah I know it's not VZW, Doesn't Matter)

Now you can use the BBHTool to "Shrink your OS" by removing any junk software/Features you don't need.

http://driphter.com/index.php?topic=22.0

In the BBHTools menu click "Other" and pull up "BBSAK" and wipe your device. It should reboot and give you and error screen, that is normal.

Now you can go to the Apploader folder and start the Apploader and follow the prompts. The first reboot should take a long time and I recommend 4 or 5 reboots after that.

Now you can go to the Blackberry Desktop Manager "DM" and do a restore, BUT!!! You only want to do a "PARTIAL RESTORE" so you can replace your personal information Contacts/Messages/Calendar/SAVED MESSAGES etc.

Next you want to register with your network, and install any applications you had installed prior to wiping your device.

Last edited by olblueyez; 10-14-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts

As someone above pointed out, it's surprising you could buy a new 9650 that didn't already have OS6 on it. I personally don't use most of the new features of OS6, but in my case it did improve battery life significantly. That said, I don't consider upgrading from OS5 to OS6 on the 9650 a "must-do" upgrade. I put it off as long as I could, until I needed to help users that were getting devices with OS6 preinstalled and I couldn't help them because the menus were so different.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN

Installing a good Hybrid is a "must do". You will have better performance in all areas, more app space, and your phone will have more memory to function properly. A reduced size Hybrid directly address's the primary short coming of the older devices that is limited memory/app space. A Hybrid also combines the better software modules from different versions of the OS and in doing so affords better performance.

Merely going from 5 to 6 may result in some benefit, or not, but it doesn't tackle the memory issue and does not guarantee the best performance simply because it is the latest official OS provided by the carrier. Case in point, people using the OS7 devices are using the latest OS from a different carrier than the carrier they are on. Had OS7 been out longer as of this writing some of them may even be using a Hybrid at this point.

There is a reason I was able to create my last post with a 9000 loaded with programs I like and it sure as heII isn't because I am using the latest AT&T OS without any alterations.

There is nothing surprising about VZW pulling an OS5 device they had not been selling for quite a while off the shelf and handing it to a customer. If anything it makes perfect sense because any units containing OS6 would have been the first ones to go after the product cycle ended.

You can lead a horse to water,,...

Last edited by olblueyez; 10-14-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Installing a good Hybrid is a "must do". You will have better performance in all areas, more app space, and your phone will have more memory to function properly. A reduced size Hybrid directly address's the primary short coming of the older devices that is limited memory/app space. A Hybrid also combines the better software modules from different versions of the OS and in doing so affords better performance.

Merely going from 5 to 6 may result in some benefit, or not, but it doesn't tackle the memory issue and does not guarantee the best performance simply because it is the latest official OS provided by the carrier. Case in point, people using the OS7 devices are using the latest OS from a different carrier than the carrier they are on. Had OS7 been out longer as of this writing some of them may even be using a Hybrid at this point.

There is a reason I was able to create my last post with a 9000 loaded with programs I like and it sure as heII isn't because I am using the latest AT&T OS without any alterations.

There is nothing surprising about VZW pulling an OS5 device they had not been selling for quite a while off the shelf and handing it to a customer. If anything it makes perfect sense because any units containing OS6 would have been the first ones to go after the product cycle ended.

You can lead a horse to water,,...

Hybrids are not must-dos, maybe on old devices like yours, but not on 9650. Your Bold 9000 is not comparable to a 9650.

In any event, the OP made no mention of hybrids, so try staying on topic.

cant install os6 on an unlocked t-mobile bb 9700
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 10-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcgizmo View Post
    IIRC, the device must be activated to install BB6. It's not as simple as you suggest.

Click to view quoted image

If you just got your 9650, it should have BB6 on it already, they stopped shipping them OS5 quite a while ago. You can try wiping the device to the 507 Error screen and then loading BB6.

Why is it hard to believe that they want you to have an activate blackberry data plan before they let you use their software?
    I have purchased used unactivated Storms on Amazon and have been able to upgrade the software without any problems via Apploader....(the program under Program files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Apploader)...Desktop Manager would ask that you have a data plan active but App Loader doesn't care, just download the OS, install it onto your PC, then use app loader, I've done it millions of times.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN

I have purchased used unactivated Storms on Amazon and have been able to upgrade the software without any problems via Apploader....(the program under Program files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Apploader)...Desktop Manager would ask that you have a data plan active but App Loader doesn't care, just download the OS, install it onto your PC, then use app loader, I've done it millions of times.
    Good post. Are you wiping the phone before you install the new OS?

Say Culex, when your doing that, do you need to delete any "vendor.xml" files from the "apploader" folder or the "java" folder?

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

Good post. Are you wiping the phone before you install the new OS?

Say Culex, when your doing that, do you need to delete any "vendor.xml" files from the "apploader" folder or the "java" folder?

Yes, delete the vendor files to avoid any problems, and wiping is not necessary as AppLoader already does that for you
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

If the phone is used and was activated once before then you're not comparing apple to apples. I've done what you've done a million times too; my Bold isn't my first BlackBerry.

We're talking about new devices here, since the OP said:

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01 View Post
    ...the only way that I can get a new 9650 that I just got from VZW to have OS6 on it is to activate it on their network first...
    Even when using apploader, someone else posted:

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Yes, I've seen this when trying to load OS6 on a new phone. It won't let you until the phone is activated on the cellular network. Once I did the *228 for VZW and activated the number, then it would let the OS6 upgrade continue.

Good post.

Yeah it's great if you're talking used phones....which we're not
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 10-16-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcgizmo View Post
    If the phone is used and was activated once before then you're not comparing apple to apples. I've done what you've done a million times too; my Bold isn't my first BlackBerry.

We're talking about new devices here, since the OP said:

Even when using apploader, someone else posted:

Yeah it's great if you're talking used phones....which we're not
    The Storms I purchased (as well as a few Tours)were refurbished but still had the "Activation Required" sign on the home screen, meaning they were factory new and I could still load an OS via apploader without having an active data plan for those phones.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Storms and Tours don't run OS6, again the thread is about loading OS6 on a new 9650 that hasn't been activated. This restriction was not present in OS5.

Refurbished is not factory new. Refurbished is refurbished or certified "like new", and a refurbished phone has already been "activated" by the prior owner.

The message in BB6 is as follows:

"This BlackBerry® Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry® solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry® service, please visit www.blackberry.com/service."
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 10-16-2011 at 06:18 PM.