Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    PIN
    GONE!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry WebKit Browser Demo @ MWC 2010

Not sure if this has been posted...didn't see in search.
    Device list: 7250> 8700C > HTC Tilt> 8300> 8310> 9700> Samsung Captivate

Latest Mobile Speed Test in St. Louis on my 9700
    http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/results/1121082395.jpg
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

i wonder when that'll be out now. im craving for it, my bb needs it!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    PIN
    GONE!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I know when I saw the progress bar zip across on that video I was like...Niiiice! Oh and it looked like the real web page!
    Device list: 7250> 8700C > HTC Tilt> 8300> 8310> 9700> Samsung Captivate

Latest Mobile Speed Test in St. Louis on my 9700
    http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/results/1121082395.jpg
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    NER

Looks pretty good... except the text is so small you can read a thing!! - they (RIM) needs to incorporate a feature like on the Nexus that readjusts paragraph and columns widths to fit the screen, with a readable font size... that dynamically adjusts based on zoom level...

As form I'm seeing in the youtube video... it seems a little weak... I was REALLY hoping to be blown away by this 'webkit' browser... well... I'm NOT blown away...
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-16-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: profanity
    Bold 9700
    OS 5.0.0.680
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Soon :D

Why demo it on a Bold? I honestly don't think Blackberries with such small screens are suitable for web browsing. This is the reason I wouldn't trade up my Storm for a keyboard BB, any day. I honestly wished that RIM would have demoed this browser on a Storm. It would have been much easier to get a feel for panning, zooming, etc.

Here's to hoping there's a reason they did this and is probably shooting for a true reveal with the Storm 3 announcement. Otherwise, it still looks somewhat choppy, but faster than what we have now, so I guess that's a plus.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 02-16-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    You can't reason a person out of an opinion he didn't reason himself into.

Find me on Twitter: @mahen915
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    Looks pretty good... except the text is so small you can read a thing!! - they (RIM) needs to incorporate a feature like on the Nexus that readjusts paragraph and columns widths to fit the screen, with a readable font size... that dynamically adjusts based on zoom level...

As form I'm seeing in the youtube video... it seems a little weak... I was REALLY hoping to be blown away by this 'webkit' browser... well... I'm NOT blown away...
    The current browser already has the ability to convert to Column View. Plus, the ability to zoom makes it seem like it will be a lot easier to read. I wouldn't doubt that some of the features we already see (such as column view) would still be available in the new browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Kill3r.Conc3ptz View Post
    Why demo it on a Bold? I honestly don't think Blackberries with such small screens are suitable for web browsing. This is the reason I wouldn't trade up my Storm for a keyboard BB, any day. I honestly wished that RIM would have demoed this browser on a Storm. It would have been much easier to get a feel for panning, zooming, etc.

Here's to hoping there's a reason they did this and is probably shooting for a true reveal with the Storm 3 announcement. Otherwise, it still looks somewhat choppy, but faster than what we have now, so I guess that's a plus.
    Because they want to show what it looks like on a smaller screen. If it looks good (including zooming) on a small screen, just imagine what it will be like on larger screens.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

lol, I love how they fastforwarded/skipped the full loading of pages.

Oh, and when he was scrolling past the expandig menu choices on Amazon, it looks like it's plagued by the same "leave random selections highlighted behind" as the current browser.

Also, redrawing of sections on the screen (pics or otherwise) still seems to be a problem. (Look on the sports website he bring up, some of the pics on the right don't redraw fully and get cut off until after a few seconds delay as he scrolls around.)

Honestly, not impressed...
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 02-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,849 Global Posts

I think it looks great!

of course its going to look small. They want to show how the whole page loads/looks.

Impressed I am!
    The Nameless Channel
    Canada | C000F0BDE
    CrackBerry Addict

Whoa just tried the acid3 test shown in the demo on the default crap browser...it bottles out at 26/100 man thats really rubbish.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    PIN
    g Pong balls!? I thought you said, "King Kong's Balls!"

Default Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 Results

I just did Acid 3 on Opera Mini 5 Beta 2. First try I got 98/100, on the second I got 80/100, and on the third I got 96/100. Is it me, or does that make no sense!?

Update: OM5B2 fails this. You have to hit 100/100 render the page smoothly and look exactly like the picture did in the presentation. I never saw 100/100, it was semi smooth in rendering, but the picture is way off from the reference picture. The blocks line up and don't have that same curved line.

Sorry about that. Seems like a little reading would have kept the ole foot out of the mouth.
    Last edited by The_Engine; 02-16-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiecefinishes View Post
    ...Stop being a (insert expletive of choice here) and listen to The Engine. Dudes smart.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,713 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

Quote Originally Posted by The_Engine View Post
    I just did Acid 3 on Opera Mini 5 Beta 2. First try I got 98/100, on the second I got 80/100, and on the third I got 96/100. Is it me, or does that make no sense!?
    The Acid3 test has 100 subtests for the browser to complete, each of those subtests are to be completed within a specified amount of time. Factors such as bandwidth jam, processor being bogged down with other processes, signal strength etc... can affect the outcome. Acid3 tests are best observed by taking an average result over numerous executions. 'Official' results are based on a top of the line machine operating under optimal circumstances.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

At 30 seconds in, after they load the page, there is a banner that keeps changing.

Wouldn't that indicate flash?

Quote Originally Posted by The Gift View Post
    Whoa just tried the acid3 test shown in the demo on the default crap browser...it bottles out at 26/100 man thats really rubbish.
    I triedt here and it gagged at 26, 40 and 82.
    Failed the test but managed to get a 92/100.

BOLT 1.7 simply jumps to the results, no animations, and is usually 99/100 or 100/100.

Should do till RIM releases this new toy...
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by diegonei View Post
    I triedt here and it gagged at 26, 40 and 82.
    Failed the test but managed to get a 92/100.

BOLT 1.7 simply jumps to the results, no animations, and is usually 99/100 or 100/100.

Should do till RIM releases this new toy...
    So Opera Mini 5 B 2 did better because it actually rendered the colored Boxes, just not in the same positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiecefinishes View Post
    ...Stop being a (insert expletive of choice here) and listen to The Engine. Dudes smart.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,848 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

The car ad is definitely flash. Think the Soccer U ad is as well.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,848 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

But yeah - they don't load full pages, or click on any links. And over wifi? Please. Really dig the Nexus browser re-draw. very nice.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post
    The car ad is definitely flash. Think the Soccer U ad is as well.
    Flash running on a Blackberry

Thank the Gods!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    PIN

Not surprising that there is flash since RIM is part of adobe's project to bring flash to the mobile browser platforms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

The soccer ad isn't flash because it shows up on my iPod Touch. I refreshed the site a few times to see the car ad but it had a soccer ad and scholarship ad in its place but I assume the car ad in that case wasn't flash either.
    Last edited by SoFLO; 02-16-2010 at 03:10 PM.

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Just some info on the Flash no Flash thing with the pages. Depending on what version of the pages he's hitting and how advanced the site it at detecting if a browser supports Flash or not, it may just be an Animated GIF. There are tons of websites that have both Flash and Animated GIFs for their ads. Yahoo's homepage does this very thing... if you don't have flash loaded, you still see the ad, just not the Flash version.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Yup because I checked on my browser and different flash ads were showing up.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,848 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

loaded the page a hundred times today. My BB and my IE simultaneous. The ad space above the banner and on the lower left are blank in the BB browser and appear w/o issue on IE. Granted, it may be animated GIF. To test I tried 2 things the first was to load the page on the BB browser as Internet Browser with ID as IE to try and fool the web page into showing the animated GIF. Result: The ads show. Animated GIF they are. No Flash. Oddly enough loaded over wifi - nearly as fast as the video and looks exactly the same.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Addict

Thank you! Finally a great browser...:-)
    But how long?

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,313 Global Posts

I'd still use Opera Mini for 90% of my browsing. Compare download times with webKit, it blows it away.

Global Posts
    6,917 Global Posts
    PIN
    ┌П┐(>_<)┌П┐

I want this like ASAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast