Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Been living under a rock: 9650: should I upgrade to OS6?

And if so, whats the easiest way of doing so?

I am currently using version 5.0.0.699 and have absolutely no complaints.

Is it really worth messing with a good thing?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,077 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH between your cheek and gum, gives you great tobacco flavor, without lighting up

I have it on my Bold 9650, but it came pre-loaded. I have no issues with it. But it seems people have issues with it when they upgrade. You can always go back, but I am like you - I don't usually mess with a good thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

I was on OS 5 for 2 months maybe. I updated to OS6 and haven't had any problems. It is sleaker and is less laggy than OS5 for me....
    Retired Superstar

Global Posts
    15,826 Global Posts

Suggest you read this. if the features are something you would use then upgrade.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-6-review

If not then use what has been successful for you since day one.

As mentioned you can always downgrade.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,656 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask

I would say definitely yes... IMO there are worlds of difference between OS5 and OS6, even if its only small changes/advances
    ~SaMaster14
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks to all for your replies.

What would be the best method of getting the latest version?

Should I use the App Loader method or Desktop Manager?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

desktop manager for sure.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RollingRock1988 View Post
    desktop manager for sure.
    +1 for DM. I used DM to update from 5 to 6 (and then back to 5) and I think the entire update process only took 20-30 minutes. Very easy.

As for whether you should update, that's a tough one. If you peruse the recent forum posts you'll see lots of pros/cons, love/hate, and keeping it/going back posts about OS6, so it's nearly impossible to tell you for sure whether you should do it and whether you'll like it more than what you're already using and enjoying.

There's a good recent thread in either the OS6 or Bold 9650 section called something like "OS6 on 9650- what are the real benefits?" that would probably be worth reading for reference.

Global Posts
    10,544 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

IMO, the best way to upgrade is to manually download the OS you want (probably .436), delete the vendor.xml file, and run loader.exe. DM is easier, but IMO not near as effective or fast.
    There's good instructions on how to do it in the how-to section of this forum.
  10. Matrix Leader

The best way to do it is by shrinking the OS to give you the max space on your BB, below, is a detailed step by step guide on how to do this.....follow it carefully, and you should be good, after backing up your settings with DM, make sure to close it as it would interfere with the apploader.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download OS 6.0.0.524 or any other OS 6 version you wish, I am not sure which is the best one for the 9650 as I don't have a 9650, maybe someone can suggest the best version, the one I mentioned here is the latest one (may not neccessarily be the best though)

1) Launch BlackBerry Desktop Manager and create a backup of your phone just in case something goes wrong.

Backup your apps using BBSAK if you are really worried that the automatic backup of apploader fails so you can reload them back later on using the BBSAK backup, this step is not mandatory unless you are really worried or don’t have the links to restore all the apps back easily later on.

2) Ensure that you do not have any previous OS installed on your PC by going to Control Panel and uninstalling any BlackBerry Device Software that you see there.

3) Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files and ensure that folder is empty, if there was any folder in there (usually any previous OS files will be there), then delete it, that folder needs to be empty before we start.

4) Download and install OS 6 for your 9700, you may choose any build you want.

5) Download and install
    BB Hybrid Tools v2.4

Run Hybrid Tools, click on the Shrink-A-OS Tab then carefully start checking the boxes of the components you will not use, like all the languages, all the carrier themes, the built in wallpapers, videos, etc. ; all the chat/messaging applications that you know you never use, social feeds, podcasts, etc.....

After selecting all the components / languages you want to shrink, click on the Add/Remove button on the bottom right to initialize the shrinking process, when it is over, you will see at the bottom right by how much was your OS shrinked (in MB)

DO NOT REMOVE ANY LANGUAGE FILES UNLESS YOU DONT NEED THEM, ENGLISH UK CAN SAFELY BE REMOVED IF YOU DON'T USE IT AS ENGLISH USA WILL ALWAYS BE THERE BY DEFAULT.

The below image are the options that I select to be removed, feel free to change anything according to your requirements.

6) Navigate to:
    Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

OR
    Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files (x86) >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader if you were using a 64-Bit version of Windows

Then delete the file named vendor.xml
    (only if it was there, if it wasn’t then don’t bother)

7) Run apploader.exe within that same folder to start the OS update.

8) While getting the options of components to install, you should now see much less as you have shrunk your OS, however, still do a final check to ensure that everything that is checked is something you actually use. Sometimes for example, the Chinese language or any other language or component might be there, so just don’t select it if you don’t want it.

I would personally not bother with social feeds as well as it is of no use to me, saves me some space not to have it.
    (This is a personal choice, if you need it, then keep it)

What social feeds does is it interlinks all your social apps such as facebook and BBM, twitter, etc, into one application, so for example if you want to set your status as gone on holidays, you don't need to do it on each application seperately, social feeds will do it for all in one step. Still, I personally dont need that.

Next come podcasts, if you don't deselect that during the installation it automatically gets installed, again, useless to me.
    TuneIn radio is much better IMO.

Last, I do not install Appworld as I can just download the apps manually from the websites, that saves me some good space too.
    (This is a personal choice, if you need it, and if it works in your country, then keep it)

If you do the above tricks, you should not run into many memory problems.

Regards,

Matrix Leader
    Follow the white bunny...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    PIN
    328689E5

Definitely worth it. Its like getting a whole new phone. A much better OS!
    So very true! I'm a firm believer that other platforms are very lacking in the heart and soul of what a phone is..first and foremost a communications device..!as no one is better poised as far as mobile "pure communications" as RIM is this decade to leed with no rival...argue that all you want....it is what it is!

The above quote was so brilliantly stated by MISSING_K-W
    CrackBerry User

Nothing but problems with OS6 since I put it on my VZW 9650. Definitely read the above link but frankly I'm thinking of going back to 5.