Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9650: Don't feel bad about not upgrading to OS6!

Looks like (at least what this article states) in that only 10% of BB owners have upgraded to OS6 anyway.

Of course, being that this is a CB forum members are on the techie side, so I'm sure many here love to tweak around with OS6.

Personally, I have been back and forth from OS5 too many times to count and never liked OS6 anyway. What frustrates me is that we should just should have had an official OS on the 9650 that simply works without all the tweaking or having to hunt out things like themes or new OS leaks that never seem to address the 9650's underlying issues.

At least this article shows my opinion of OS6 is aligned with the majority of other BB users. Understandably, just not with the majority of this forum.

I don't post to continually bash Rim's products. I just see such as mass following of other platforms and feel that if CB members used their combined voices in our posts it would let Rim know why they are losing market share. We can't expect CB to post these types of articles, because they are ad driven and they seem to be getting a lot of ads for the Playbook lately on their home page. Too bad some of that expenditure by Rim isn't going into quickly correcting the issues with OS6!

Is It Just Me, Or, Shouldn’t More Than 10% Of BlackBerry Users Be Using BlackBerry 6?
    Last edited by expidia; 03-30-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

OS5 was nice in October 2009 when Storm moved up from 4.7.0.148. That was then, this is now: OS5 is slow/clunky and takes forever to boot up. Those that don't move to OS6 are probably afraid they'll screw it up, and have more smartphone than they really need. 6.0.0.431, released by Verizon, is very stable.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've had my Bold nearly 2 months now, a refurb that came with OS5

Upgraded to 6...then back to 5...now back to 6 and generally like it

Only issue is Slacker Radio..which locks the phone up occasionally regardless of the OS, reboot with Quickpull and everything is fine

Love my Crackberry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts

+1 for the Verizon official 6.0.0.431, it's a solid OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    itsjess (03-31-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,978 Global Posts
    PIN
    --- Inconceivable!!!

I think the only thing keeping me from a second go-round with 6 is the lack of column view on the browser. That and the pita effort to make sure all apps work or DLing updated versions.

But the addition of themes now does make it a greater likelihood that I will try again at some point.

Global Posts
    51,486 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

Jeff, I have column view with VZW's 431.
    It is fantastic. My browser is exactly what I wanted in the beginning.
    You ought to give it a try.

Oh and that 90% who have not upgraded should be vying for my husband's LG ENV 3
    I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947 on VZW-HTTR forever
    Need Sideloading Help? http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ur-z10-821005/
    Need help using the CB10 App? http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-h...10-app-872463/
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee5799 View Post
    Lol, that's what I was saying: because Blackberries are so affordable now, for example Curve3G (don't they pay you to take one now?), people who ordinarily wouldn't have a smartphone now have one. The problem is they really don't need one and have no idea what a software update is or how to go about updating.

They want to make calls and take the occasional picture. The Moto Razr can do that.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,694 Global Posts
    PIN
    sanity!

A large percentage of BB users cannot upgrade to OS6 on older phones that are still in use and on some new phones still be sold today that are only OS5 capable. The last couple of versions of OS6 have been greatly improved over the first couple of leaks for sure. Yes, a column-like view is now in place that works well on CB with OS6.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

My EnV 3 and I take exception to this comment!

OK, its a get-me-by phone for another month, but still... hater
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Why argue about it? OS6 works for some, not for others.

I completely agree with the OP on this point. I reverted back to OS5 after several weeks w/OS6 because OS5 just works better for me on my 9650. If that makes me "low tech" in the eyes of other BB users then so be it. My co-worker has the Torch and after trying it out a bit it's clear to me that OS6 was made for larger touch-screen devices. I think most BB users just want their phone to work as efficiently as possible. You can't bash BB users that don't care to change the OS, or install themes. I think this type of user makes up majority of BB owners and explains the low rate of OS6 adoption.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by xela730 View Post
    You can't bash BB users that don't care to change the OS, or install themes. I think this type of user makes up majority of BB owners and explains the low rate of OS6 adoption.
    Nobody is bashing them, if they don't have the skills to update, and don't care what they OS have on their device, they won't/don't update. They're just not tech savvy, and really don't need a smartphone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by drummerman64 View Post
    I've had my Bold nearly 2 months now, a refurb that came with OS5

Upgraded to 6...then back to 5...now back to 6 and generally like it

Only issue is Slacker Radio..which locks the phone up occasionally regardless of the OS, reboot with Quickpull and everything is fine

Love my Crackberry

Slacker is freezing my Bold as well. I have switched to Pandora till they get it squared away.
    5gb free cloud storage @ SugarSync: https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=rpnngrv8odqh
    Thanked by:
    jc3willi (03-31-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Turbaru View Post
    Slacker is freezing my Bold as well. I have switched to Pandora till they get it squared away.
    Yeah, makes me mad, I'm using the paid service too

Might give Pandora a try

WHERE are they hiding Column View? As I wrote in the Essex thread, I went to a Verizon store this morning specifically to "interview" OS6 on a Bold. I checked options in the Browser. The web page I checked came up with very small font. I did find the world-renown magnifying glass. Using that, text now streamed off the right side of the page. I tried Zoom but that did not work either. My browser under OS5 gives me nicely word-wrapped paragraph after paragraph with a font I can read. I will gladly head back to a Verizon store to SEE what I missed.

I won't get into too much argument about whether I and others are technological neanderthals. They probably were much safer without nuclear power!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,694 Global Posts
    PIN
    sanity!

You won't find an option for Column View in OS6, what I and others have experienced is that the CrackBerry site now renders the forums in a "column-like" view. Many people went back to OS5 just because the CB site did not work well with the magnifying glass method, but now when you press the magnifying glass once while in the forums, it enlarges the text but wraps it in a column-like view so you don't have to scroll sideways to read the posts. Some other websites also have this, but many still do not and some like the CNN.com mobile site do not have any way to zoom or enlarge text at all.
  16. TEG
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Stability

I tried Verizonís upgrade for a month after reading here give it some time. Well I went back to 5 and immediately realized that is was just like when I went from Windows XP to Vista. Vista had all the cool fluff but was not stable, as any corporate user will tell you. Well until they come up with a more stable 6 platform I'll stay with 5. With 6 my battery did not last the work day, even with all the suggestions here. With 5 again I can make it to the next day if I forget. With 6 my cars internal Bluetooth kept dropping connection. With 5 no problem. With 6 emails hesitated to open. With 5 they open immediately. I liked the changes that 6 will bring but I need stability more. I can't wait to hear what everyone say's about 6.1 when it hits.
    Tim
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

I loved OS 5. But I have been using OS 6 for about a week now and I really like it. It isn't a big departure form OS 5. But there are a lot of good additions. OS 6 is fast and the browser is a lot better. I also like the universal search and the various slide screens.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    I tried Verizonís upgrade for a month after reading here give it some time. Well I went back to 5 and immediately realized that is was just like when I went from Windows XP to Vista. Vista had all the cool fluff but was not stable, as any corporate user will tell you. Well until they come up with a more stable 6 platform I'll stay with 5. With 6 my battery did not last the work day, even with all the suggestions here. With 5 again I can make it to the next day if I forget. With 6 my cars internal Bluetooth kept dropping connection. With 5 no problem. With 6 emails hesitated to open. With 5 they open immediately. I liked the changes that 6 will bring but I need stability more. I can't wait to hear what everyone say's about 6.1 when it hits.
    Actually 6.0.0.431 is very stable, and has very few bugs considering it's a Verizon approved build. The new 524 is also great on battery life, boot times, and has almost no lag at all.
    Retired Forums Moderator

Global Posts
    14,991 Global Posts

Yep .524 is a great build. Very happy with it. There are still issues with every OS, but very minor issues.

I tried going back to OS 5 and missed those extra features that OS 6 gives me to use during the day

CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by mg3787 View Post
    My EnV 3 and I take exception to this comment!

OK, its a get-me-by phone for another month, but still... hater
    maybe you should stick to the Env then!

not sure how that is a useful post either
    Thanked by:
    jaydee5799 (03-31-2011) 

Global Posts
    51,486 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    I tried Verizon’s upgrade for a month after reading here give it some time. Well I went back to 5 and immediately realized that is was just like when I went from Windows XP to Vista. Vista had all the cool fluff but was not stable, as any corporate user will tell you. Well until they come up with a more stable 6 platform I'll stay with 5. With 6 my battery did not last the work day, even with all the suggestions here. With 5 again I can make it to the next day if I forget. With 6 my cars internal Bluetooth kept dropping connection. With 5 no problem. With 6 emails hesitated to open. With 5 they open immediately. I liked the changes that 6 will bring but I need stability more. I can't wait to hear what everyone say's about 6.1 when it hits.
    So because Vista had cool fluff in the beginning but was not stable, you went back to XP. Does that mean you have to stick with XP forever? No, like everyone else, you realize there are benefits to an updated OS and you switch. That is what I, as an OS6 user, am saying here. So you didn't have to use the leaks, but the recent VZW official 431 is very stable. And people using another leak 524 seem to like it as well and think it is even BETTER than 431.

You know Windows 311 for workgroups was cool too but times change.
    I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947 on VZW-HTTR forever
    Need Sideloading Help? http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ur-z10-821005/
    Need help using the CB10 App? http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-h...10-app-872463/
    Retired Forums Moderator

Global Posts
    14,991 Global Posts

DOS/Windows 3.1 FTW!!!

So because Vista had cool fluff in the beginning but was not stable, you went back to XP. Does that mean you have to stick with XP forever? No, like everyone else, you realize there are benefits to an updated OS and you switch. That is what I, as an OS6 user, am saying here. So you didn't have to use the leaks, but the recent VZW official 431 is very stable. And people using another leak 524 seem to like it as well and think it is even BETTER than 431.

You know Windows 311 for workgroups was cool too but times change.

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    DOS/Windows 3.1 FTW!!!
    WOW, now that's kickin' it old school!
    I'm Rambling in Rehab and Be 5000
    Need help? Just ask.
    Want to know how to do stuff here on the forums? Try the Forum Help Videos & Guides sections.

Retired Forums Moderator

Global Posts
    14,991 Global Posts

Still got a box running it Little dusty but it works

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Smile 6.0.0..431

6.0.0.431 us very solid,,,...much faster than any 5.0, very good battery life...whats not to like...every OS has some kind of small tweak...but I' tried alot of the leaks and officials,,,but ..431 is the best of any
    JUD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast