What zipped a 39MB video and it came out as 39MB as the zipped version. Why doesn't it compress the file? Isn't that the point of zipping?

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 01:26 AM
    NO...Use a video shrinker app.
    11-21-14 01:40 AM
    What is the purpose of zipping files?

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 01:44 AM
    What zipped a 39MB video and it came out as 39MB as the zipped version. Why doesn't it compress the file? Isn't that the point of zipping?

Posted via CB10
    You won't be able to compress a video that well by zipping it. I just tested. I went from 28MB to 27MB. Plus zipping small/ individual files isn't the point either. It's to take lots of files or documents and zip them into one package. The heavier the bit count, the better the compression you'll get.

Posted via the Z to the 3 to the 0 // 2B6832B1
    11-21-14 02:01 AM
    To hide files

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 02:03 AM
    No joy when I needed to send a 10mb PowerPoint as an email attachment to a client. Zipped still = 10mb. Email send error due to file size, even via wifi. I had to wait until I was back to my laptop.

I SHOULD gave converted the ppt to PDF, and resaved to SD card for future emails - goes on my TO DO for tomorrow's office hours.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    11-21-14 02:24 AM
    ZIP archive is the non-destructive way to reduce the size of file(s). It won't work as efficiently with already compressed file like jpeg picture, mp3 audio or mp4 video. These media formats already use non-destructive and destructive way to reduce file size. The only thing you can compress in there is the header, a very small descriptive section of the file.

What you want is to resize the frame of your video file and/or apply a more destructive codec setting. Quality will be worse, but the file size will be smaller You can first edit your video in BB10 to change the time length or even crop it...
    11-21-14 07:14 AM
    No joy when I needed to send a 10mb PowerPoint as an email attachment to a client. Zipped still = 10mb. Email send error due to file size, even via wifi. I had to wait until I was back to my laptop.

I SHOULD gave converted the ppt to PDF, and resaved to SD card for future emails - goes on my TO DO for tomorrow's office hours.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    A little advice about large files; Yes - many email providers now accept larger files, but some of them still have restrictions when Not accessed via their own Web interface etc. And since you Never can be sure which mail systems are in between You and the receiver, you should always use a max size that fits the most restrict of them.

When sending a file attachment, that file will be re-encoded and wrapped - and usually ends up larger than the original file. A 10MB file can in the system become 15MB from the way email systems work

To reliably send email attachments, any attached file should never exceed 3-5MByte in size.

To send larger files, Upload first to a service made for that, ex: Dropbox, OneDrive etc.. and grab a Sharable Link from there, and mail that link instead. The Email is kept small, sent reliably to the destination, and the receiver can choose to download it or not.

You see, even though we are in 2014, the protocols used in the world for emails, are not (yet) updated to effectively accommodate the larger files we use today. Even One "normal" photo today is bigger than 20 pictures was just a few years back. This is NOT a BlackBerry caused issue, but exist for all, since all has to use same protocols.

Happy mailing...
    tp2386 likes this.
    11-21-14 07:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    It has been this way since the early days of RAR, ZIP and the oher competators.

Text\ ascii types of files will yield very large compression ratio depending on the settings that you employ within the program, media files such as videos and certain image files will yeild very little in the way of file size reduction.
    In the old days of the internet it was very important to try and compress files, especially when we were online with 9600 baud modems.

But now a days (with hi speed connections) people tend use archive tools just to create a nice simple package for transportng files..... sort of like tossing them in a box and taping it shut.
    11-21-14 08:56 AM
    As a few have pointed out above; compression technologies can only go so far. Many (most?) audio/video formats are already incorporate heavy compression algorithms to make the file sizes manageable. You could alter the resolution and/or degrade the image quality to make it smaller. Many free tools like freemake on PC can do this if necessary.
    11-21-14 11:09 AM