A friend has both a Z10 and a Z30 in her family.

Both phones appear to have a problem with the proximity sensor not turning off the screen.

This was both before and after the most recent update. (I was hoping the update fixed it)

I assume hardware issue, but it's weird to be happening on two models.

They both come from Bell. I'm going to attempt a total clear and restore.

Any other ideas?

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    02-07-14 02:43 PM
    This issue only happens when not in a call, right?
    02-07-14 02:57 PM
    It happens during a call. Their faces touch the screen.

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    02-07-14 03:57 PM
    Could be an app which uses the proximity sensor interfering with its proper functioning. Does this happen all of the time on every call? What apps are running during the calls when this happens? When was it first noticed and what apps were installed/updated around the time when it was started? Maybe they're just holding it wrong.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 04:01 PM
    My Z10 has done the same thing since I got it as well! I'm constantly hanging up or muting calls when I use the handset. In fact I'll use headphones if I'm not in my vehicle or the speaker isn't practical.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 04:04 PM
    It's been happening at least to one of them since they bought the phone.

We were hoping that the. 1925 update would fix it, since she doesn't want to take it back.

There are no apps running that could cause that. Both phones run on barely minimum apps.

I assumed hardware, but two models have it, and I think one was only after the update.

Maybe the Bell update is botched? I'm gonna clear it and run the autoloader for the new version. I'm hoping that fixes it.

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    02-07-14 04:05 PM
    My Z10 has done that since I got it and still does it with the update, my Note 2 didn't do it. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 05:41 PM
    Have you folks performed a hard reset?

Posted via CB10. 10.2.1.1925 with 1259 camera/clock
    02-09-14 06:17 PM
    Yes I have and it still does it if I bump the phone with my cheek, so I hardly ever use my phone without the blue tooth or earbuds

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 06:20 PM
    Download BBVE (BlackBerry Virtual Expert) from BlackBerry World. There you can run a test on your sensor to see if it works OK.

Z10 In action here!
    02-09-14 07:10 PM
    Thank you I will try that, see if I can figure out how to use it after I download it

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 07:14 PM
    Another thing to check is if you also use a screen protector. Some cheap one actually cover the sensor and stop it from working correctly, so if you do have one try taking it off and using it without the protector on to see if it is any better.

Z10 In action here!
    02-09-14 07:25 PM
    I think it's an issue with certain OSes on certain devices.

I have loaded the 10.2.1.1925 leak onto one white Q10, one black Q10, and one black Z10.

The Z10's proximity sensor works fine. So does the white one. The black one, however, its sensor is very messed up during phone calls. In low light/dark lighting, I can actually see the sensor flickering a reddish color.

I know it's not hardware because the black Q10's proximity sensor USED to work on 10.2.1.1055, and I have downgraded back to T-Mobile's 10.1, and it works perfectly fine.

I do not know what the cause of the problem is, as I've loaded the SAME OS files and radios onto both the white and black Q10s, and they both behave differently.
    02-11-14 02:45 AM
    We have both 2 Z10's & a Z30 in the family here and all 3 are working fine, including in particular the proximity sensor.

Most people don't notice how well and how quickly it works. As soon as you put the phone up to your ear, the screen goes blank. As soon as you take the phone away from the ear, the screen comes back on immediately.

Like the previous poster suggested, use the BlackBerry Virtual Expert. It is quite easy to use. After installing it, open BBVE, tap on "Tests", at the bottom of the first screen. Next, tap "Sensor Tests"/"Continue".

The first test is the Proximity Sensor. It has 2 modes, near and far.

The "far" test should say "pass" already if it's working.

Wave your hand over the sensor as shown in the illustration and the "near" test should change from "waiting" to "pass".

If both near and far say "pass", this means your proximity sensor is working normally. If either test fails, then your unit probably needs to be sent in for servicing or replacement.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 02-11-14 at 08:19 AM.
    02-11-14 08:06 AM
    A work around for those who Are Affected, after dialing and starting to hear the call go through, press the power button to darken the screen and lift the phone set to your ears. That will save you from muting or disconnecting, the same goes for receiving a call.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 08:22 AM
    I loaded the 10.2.1.1925 leak and the .1926 radio to my Q10, and after a bunch of restarts and wipes last night, I took the screen protector off and it works.

It didn't work immediately though, I sort of had to work on it. I'd call 611 to test the phone call feature (call log says 17 times). First, when I'd call, the screen would shut off without my face next to the sensor. Then I'd shine a light into the sensor, and the screen would come back on.

After turning off the light, the screen would go off. I did this a bunch of times, and now without the screen protector, it works. I don't know how or why the screen protector did this, because when this same device had T-Mobile's 10.1, the proximity sensor worked without any issues.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 09:33 PM
    Software update, autoloader update, full security wipe.

The sensor still doesn't work. But it DOES pass the BBVE test.

So weird. All that's left is taking it back to the carrier.

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    02-17-14 03:33 PM
    I've got the same issue with my z10 and my wife's. Have done multiple security wipes and reloads with little success. With the first wipe I attempted after noticing the problem the proximity sensor worked during a call for about three hours after the wipe then stopped working. I have not been able to get it working again since. Fresh reload/fresh wipe, no apps installed, reformatted sd card and no screen protector (sacrificed a $20 zagg just to test it ). BBVE shows the sensor working perfectly however. Any recommendations are welcome!
    03-03-14 11:53 AM
    I've got the same issue with my z10 and my wife's. Have done multiple security wipes and reloads with little success. With the first wipe I attempted after noticing the problem the proximity sensor worked during a call for about three hours after the wipe then stopped working. I have not been able to get it working again since. Fresh reload/fresh wipe, no apps installed, reformatted sd card and no screen protector (sacrificed a $20 zagg just to test it ). BBVE shows the sensor working perfectly however. Any recommendations are welcome!
    Take it back to the vendor and get it fixed and/or replaced under warranty.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    03-03-14 03:11 PM
    I've been having the same issue and nothing seems to fix it tried auto loaders official carrier os works with bbve don't know what the issue is! Bit frustrating!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:06 AM
    A friend has both a Z10 and a Z30 in her family.

Both phones appear to have a problem with the proximity sensor not turning off the screen.

This was both before and after the most recent update. (I was hoping the update fixed it)

I assume hardware issue, but it's weird to be happening on two models.

They both come from Bell. I'm going to attempt a total clear and restore.

Any other ideas?

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    Sorry, off topic but:
    10.3.0.1337!!!!!!!
    Really? Can ya upload it to bitcasa or mega or dropbox for us????? Pretty pleeeeeze

Trusted Member Genius
    03-25-14 08:54 PM
    Try turning off the wifi,it helps the proximity sensor and light sensor to work, so if your not using wifi turn it off and the see if the sensors works, for sure it works for me and am using a z10, it was very frustrating to make calls before I discovered this.
    12-17-14 02:00 PM
    I'm having the opposite problem.

When I've finished a call the screen remains black, I have to swipe up to end the call or hope the other person ends it for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 02:03 PM