I hate to start a new thread, but surely there must be something wrong with my device. Suggestions Welcome - as I don't want to brick or do anything else to my Z10 - but 9 hours is insane.

I recently downloaded 10.2.1.1925 OTA. I had the regular pains of a ridiculous battery drain, in addition many of my Hub notifications wouldn't open (Facebook, Whatsapp, Gtalk, Even BBM for a while)....

I read the forums and some people said a security wipe would help, well taht was 9 hours ago, and I still have a shredder with blue circle undernearth it.

Though I've searched the forums, I haven't heard of anyone going into 9 hours for a wipe so i'm looking for help more that just "wait" which is found here (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-hours-898856/)

Any suggestions??? Should I still just wait some more? should i just try to restart, battery pull....., surely 9 Hours can't be OK.

Please help.
    Last edited by burtd06; 02-03-14 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added link from CB
    02-03-14 05:58 PM
    Amazing! I came here for the same exact problem - my Z10 has been security wiping since about 1PM. Dont know what to do. Hoping someone has answers...
    02-03-14 06:04 PM
    If it's taking an excessively long time, you can take the battery out and leave it for say 20 mins then put it back in. It can sometimes get stuck on that screen and really, it's actually done -- it just never rebooted. However, if after you out the battery in its still wiping, you might have to try reloading the OS with Link.
    burtd06 likes this.
    02-03-14 06:05 PM
    Got the update last Tuesday thru VZW and its been lagging/draining and slow ever since. Backup this morning and security wipe was the final option. I am thinking of battery pull too, but its too risky. Im not that familiar with BB10....

HELP!
    02-03-14 06:06 PM
    If it's taking an excessively long time, you can take the battery out and leave it for say 20 mins then put it back in. It can sometimes get stuck on that screen and really, it's actually done -- it just never rebooted.
    Thanks Blaze... Will try and report back!
    02-03-14 06:07 PM
    9 hours is really long. You can interrupt the security wipe once or twice before it totally nukes the software, and you need Link to re-flash your device. Since you're a Kewadin doing a security wipe, you'll have to restore anyway, so there shouldn't be much danger.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 06:11 PM
    Kewadin = auto correct. Hmmm. I meant since you are doing a restore anyway.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 06:11 PM
    Have you guys tried doing some "hold both volume up and down " resets?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 06:18 PM
    If it's taking an excessively long time, you can take the battery out and leave it for say 20 mins then put it back in. It can sometimes get stuck on that screen and really, it's actually done -- it just never rebooted. However, if after you out the battery in its still wiping, you might have to try reloading the OS with Link.
    Hi Bla1ze,

What's with the "leave the battery out for X minutes"?
    I have seen it mentioned in several posts regarding different issues, but to be honest I would classify the X minutes in the "black magic" category. When the device has been powered off, you can just turn it on again.

I know of very rare cases (mostly with IT equipment), where you could discharge some capacitors by removing power/battery and press the power button for X seconds/minutes and this trick made the equipment start/work again. But that's hardly the case for a BB10 stuck on a normal operation as wiping...
    02-03-14 06:23 PM
    Have you guys tried doing some "hold both volume up and down " resets?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I did. No response.
    02-03-14 06:25 PM
    So, waited 20 Minutes, and the damned shredder is back there again......

Now, if I reload from Link... WIll it give me the crap 10.0 OS that my phone came with? or does it auto update to my carriers most recent OS?
    02-03-14 06:36 PM

Now, if I reload from Link... WIll it give me the crap 10.0 OS that my phone came with? or does it auto update to my carriers most recent OS?
    will take you to latest os of your carrier

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 06:38 PM
    Just Before I Perform a wipe I usually manually delete all my Apps and Misc folder contents
    by doing this I'm making the wipe process more easier (I guess) for the part of the os that takes care of It thus It never took me over 10-20 minutes tops!
    02-03-14 06:41 PM

Same problem here - nothing but the shredder. Should I do another battery pull?
    02-03-14 06:42 PM
    Same problem here - nothing but the shredder. Should I do another battery pull?
    Have you tried the reload Option In Link?
    Initiate Reload In Link
    Have your Z10 disconnected and press Power+Mute button for about 10-15" to forcibly turn off
    After that Either Connect It to usb or having It connected try to Power It on Again, Normally It will start the reload process
    02-03-14 06:51 PM
    When I go to reload on BB link on my mac, under the description it says reset your phone to its factory settings. It does not say anything about a reload of the O/S. I too wiped my device last night to no avail, and wanted to try to reload the latest O/S, but the last thing I want to do is another wipe. This version of BB link is no where near as user friendly as the old faithful BB desktop manager.
    02-03-14 07:34 PM
    For future purposes,
    Press reload Software in Link. It's much faster. Security wipe writes a pass of zeros over the whole hard drive to prevent recovery software from recovering sensitive files.
    For most of us, doing it through Link is good enough and doesn't do the pass of zeros that take so long.
    burtd06 likes this.
    02-03-14 07:54 PM
    I went through this Fri, I finally pulled the battery and got an error code 0015. I couldn't reload the OS at the time because BlackBerry had a problem that would stop the update at 98% on Link. I took mine to Verizon and they sent me another the next day. I updated via wifi to 10.2.1 this time and not one problem. I noticed I also had functions and features miss ota. I really recommend reloading via wifi folks.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 08:23 PM
    I went through this Fri, I finally pulled the battery and got an error code 0015. I couldn't reload the OS at the time because BlackBerry had a problem that would stop the update at 98% on Link. I took mine to Verizon and they sent me another the next day. I updated via wifi to 10.2.1 this time and not one problem. I noticed I also had functions and features miss ota. I really recommend reloading via wifi folks.

What kind of functions and features that you did not get ota?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 08:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    I had the same problem and error. Had to reload os using link. That sucked as I have over 130 apps installed and had a ton of reconfiguring to do. Would have much preferred that security wipe worked. Clearly lots of z10s with issues performing a security wipe. This shouldn't be happening. At least I am back up and working again.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 09:08 PM
    Have you tried the reload Option In Link?
    Initiate Reload In Link
    Have your Z10 disconnected and press Power+Mute button for about 10-15" to forcibly turn off
    After that Either Connect It to usb or having It connected try to Power It on Again, Normally It will start the reload process
    OK I rebooted the Z-10 after starting up link and it kept going back to the shredder and not recognising the device. . Then I figured out what I was doing wrong.. I unplugged it, rebooted it again then plugged it in right away, and the computer recognized it, but I got the error code 0015!

I did Panic, however to my surprise (as I was looking up the error code on CB) the Z10 restarted itself, and link recognised it and is reloading the OS. A painfully slow process however, but at least it is working.

It is also installing 10.2.1.1295! So hopefully that is the end of my problems.

Thanks for all your help Crackberry!
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    02-03-14 09:21 PM
    OK I rebooted the Z-10 after starting up link and it kept going back to the shredder and not recognising the device. . Then I figured out what I was doing wrong.. I unplugged it, rebooted it again then plugged it in right away, and the computer recognized it, but I got the error code 0015!

I did Panic, however to my surprise (as I was looking up the error code on CB) the Z10 restarted itself, and link recognised it and is reloading the OS. A painfully slow process however, but at least it is working.

It is also installing 10.2.1.1295! So hopefully that is the end of my problems.

Thanks for all your help Crackberry!
    I think you meant 10.2.1.1925

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 09:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    The autoloader and OTA update are 100% identical.
    Depending on your carrier, there could be extra updates with carrier specific apps etc. but that's another story.
    02-04-14 01:43 AM
    For future purposes,
    Press reload Software in Link. It's much faster. Security wipe writes a pass of zeros over the whole hard drive to prevent recovery software from recovering sensitive files.
    For most of us, doing it through Link is good enough and doesn't do the pass of zeros that take so long.
    I agree.

Wipe is nescessary if you have a security concern to take care of.

Autoloader just "stamps" a new filesystem for the OS leaving the rest of the storage area untouched. The filesystem has no references to these areas (they are "unused") and will just overwrite them as storage is needed for apps, data etc.

If you don't have access to a PC or an autoloader, wipe is of course the way to go.

I would really like BB to have a "non-secure Wipe" that just deleted anything added after the original OS was loaded, but didn't spend time writing zeros to the storage.
    02-04-14 01:47 AM

Posted via CB10

Next time have a look on Google for Z10 Autoloader. I recently had the "bb10-0015" error and it saved the day.
    02-04-14 06:08 AM
27 12